• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Getting off heroin and cold turkey is not an option

NorCalBeauty11

Greenlighter
I have used opiates pills then heroin for about the last 10 years off and on. I have gone through numerous detoxes going cold turkey and my last two put me in the hospital. I was dangerously sick and was told by the ER doctor I should not attempt going cold turkey again. I have been seeing a Suboxone doctor and have a prescription but I am having trouble making it 24 hours without using so I can take my dose. I also do not want to get hooked on Suboxone so is it possible to only take suboxone for a few days until I feel better and then not take anything at all? Any help is appreciated thank you

damn you really cant go the 24 hours off H to use Subs lol?
seems to me clearly you dont want sobriety bad enough....look up methadone tapers.

I have used opiates pills then heroin for about the last 10 years off and on. I have gone through numerous detoxes going cold turkey and my last two put me in the hospital. I was dangerously sick and was told by the ER doctor I should not attempt going cold turkey again. I have been seeing a Suboxone doctor and have a prescription but I am having trouble making it 24 hours without using so I can take my dose. I also do not want to get hooked on Suboxone so is it possible to only take suboxone for a few days until I feel better and then not take anything at all? Any help is appreciated thank you

Its stories like this that bewilder me as to why a suboxone Dr cannot(or will not) prescribe a short term (2-3 days) dose of oxycodone to use before inducing on Subs from heroin(or black market fentanyl powder, which is very common on the streets these days and has practically supplanted H in some areas). If you are using enough H, its an absolute bitch to switch over to subs. Then even after a 24 hour wait of misery for those with high dose habits on strong opioids, you're still looking at 3-5 days of withdrawal until your tolerance will be low enough to get full relief from the Subs.

BTW, don't listen to people who are going to degrade the difficulty of this switch. I've honestly done it, possibly double digit times(also cold turkeyed oxy 3 times...so yeah, relapsed a time or 2), a few from each of oxy, H and fent addictions. The oxy was a cake walk, legit 12 hours(I metabolize opiates crazy fast, so don't do as I do) after last dose of 30 mg and I'd be feeling 50% and 24 hours, take a 2nd dose and good to go. With H I tried waiting only 12, didn't give me legit precip w/d, but think it made me worse in some areas and better in others. After that off H I'd always go about 16-18(as long as I could manage) and it'd basically do nothing, but prob helped a little. Then I'd just keep dosing and it slowly got better until about 3rd day, when I'd feel decent. With the fent I can't say its been much diff than H. I made it 24 hrs last time I did it and it def helped a lot, but I was at the point of w/d where I was losing my mind.

I also don't know if I'd F with the methadone. I never understood when people would be put on methadone to lower tolerance to get on Subs. Methadone to Sub is prob the #1 cause for precip w/d. I weaker full agonist that is short acting makes 100% more sense. Shit on the streets can be damn strong, I've tried curbing w/d with oxy and find 90 mg isn't even enough to ward it all off. Everytime I've made switch to Subs I wish I had the ability(mainly the $) to get some oxy and use it for atleast one day before induction. I don't believe it's just the strength, either. The pharmacodynamics of Sub to Oxy are much more similar(both thebaine derivatives, more energetic highs) than other opioids like H, Oxymorphone or synthetics like methdone and fent.

You can use tramadol to transition more comfortably onto the buprenorphine. As others have said, I've never had a problem waiting until the withdrawal got bad before taking buprenorphine, but we are all different. If you can't get any tramadol, see if you doctor will prescribe you 800mg gabapentin 3-4 times a day and a little clonidine for bedtime. That should get you through 24hrs no problem.

If you've been struggling with your opioid use for a decade OP, it makes much more sense to try using buprenorphine or methadone as ORT (not to mention working with a therapist, getting outpatient mental health treatment, etc). If you only use buprenorphine for a couple days to get through withdrawal this will just be yet another detox for you. Is that really all you need to address your ten years of habit?

That is a rhetorical question. It's gonna take far, far more than just another detox to get you to where you want to be in recovery from harmful patterns of substance use. I'm going to move this to SL as that is a more appropriate forum for this thread.

Welcome to BL OP! OD->SL :)

damn you really cant go the 24 hours off H to use Subs lol?
seems to me clearly you dont want sobriety bad enough....look up methadone tapers.
You know nothing.... Pain makes this transition excruciatingly hard as it returns with a vengeance long before the withdrawals. Some people will throw up bile within 12 hours non stop. You have no idea just how hard it is to go 24 hours obviously. I doubt you have ever had a real serious dependancy

Get some neurotin and clonodine.. they both help and took my withdrawals away

Getting hooked on suboxone is much better than the alternative.

Get away from your current situation as possible, give the medicine it's time to work.

An incredibly long sub taper is much better than a life of using or a life of using/detox/using/detox.

It does work if your dose isn't lasting you 24hrs than you need to split or increase your dose, talk to your doctor.

You need to get stabilized on subs much like methadone, the difference is you can function and learn to live in a sober world on subs, and will give the greatest chance for success with your recovery.

Best of luck NorCal <3

Last edited:
Suboxone isn't really meant for people with heavy IV habits of heroin. I think methadone is the better option personally. But if sub is the only option your going to suffer a little bit unfortunately. Get some clonidine gabapentin and a benzo. That should cushion the fall enough for you to induct.

Suboxone isn't really meant for people with heavy IV habits of heroin. I think methadone is the better option personally. But if sub is the only option your going to suffer a little bit unfortunately. Get some clonidine gabapentin and a benzo. That should cushion the fall enough for you to induct.

Methadone is the best option for results over suboxone in my opinion.

And i wasnt tryna be a dick ...jusst being serious i have been thru what your going thru numerous amounts of time..You got to want it badly ...you cant be one foot in one foot out..you got to be all in on this.

I'll just add to the suggestion that a medium- to long-term course of ORT (whether its subs or methadone) seems like a much better avenue than a quick sub taper given your story, OP.

I know how attractive it feels to get out from under all opioids. But you're chances of sustained change is way higher if you stabilize on ORT while you work on behavioral changes to support ongoing recovery.

Best luck! <3
Sim