• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Generation jitters: are we addicted to caffeine?

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
Caffeine is the drug many of us can't live without – but do you have any idea how much is in your daily hit?

Propped up on my desk before me, there is a vacuum-sealed bag of white powder. Chemists would recognise this substance as a methylated xanthine, composed of tiny crystalline structures. It is a drug, and I have been under its influence nearly every day for the past 25 years. It is caffeine, and in moderation it makes us feel good. But it is a drug whose strength is consistently underestimated. You'd need to down about 50 cups of coffee at once, or 200 cups of tea, to approach a lethal level of caffeination – but if you go straight for the powder, you can get a lot very quickly.

On 9 April 2010, 23-year-old Michael Bedford was at a party near his home in Mansfield. He ate two spoonfuls of caffeine powder he'd bought online, and washed them down with an energy drink. He began slurring his words, then vomited, collapsed and died. It's likely he ingested more than 5g of caffeine. The coroner cited caffeine's "cardiotoxic effects" as the cause of death.

How much caffeine is the average person taking on daily? When someone asks about our caffeine habits, we tend to reply in terms of how many cups of coffee we drink. But this is a wildly inadequate measure. One 40ml cup of coffee – the size often used in studies of caffeine consumption – could have less than 60mg of caffeine, while one 450ml cup could have nearly 10 times as much, but both could be considered one cup of coffee.

In an effort to make this easier, I came up with a measure called a Standard Caffeine Dose, or Scad. A Scad is 75mg. This is roughly equal to a shot of espresso, 150ml of coffee, a 250ml can of Red Bull, two 350ml cans of Coke or Pepsi, or a pint of Diet Coke. I take about four or five Scads daily. On a two-Scad day, I will feel slow; on a seven-Scad day, jittery.

Anyone will tell you that the British have remained allied with tea, not coffee, but that is only partly true. While the British still drink more tea, by volume, than coffee, they now get more of their caffeine from coffee than from tea. Surprisingly, colas and energy drinks now contribute nearly as much caffeine to the British diet as tea: 34mg daily versus 36mg daily.

It is not easy to know how much caffeine is in your daily cup of coffee. Forensic toxicologist Bruce Goldberger used to work in Baltimore, identifying lethal drugs in the blood of overdose victims. But he turned his mind to a question with broader appeal: how much caffeine are we getting in our beverages? He and his colleagues analysed the contents of coffee drinks, publishing the results in 2003. They found huge caffeine differences not only between coffee brands but also between coffees from the same shop. He bought a 480ml cup of coffee from one branch of Starbucks on six consecutive days. Each time, he ordered the Breakfast Blend. The cup with the least caffeine had 260mg. One had twice that amount. Yet another clocked in at a whopping 564mg.

For a study published in 2012, Scottish researcher Thomas Crozier and his colleagues bought 20 espressos in Glasgow cafes. They found that the caffeine concentration varied from 56mg to 196mg per 28ml, with four cafes serving up espressos containing more than 200mg of caffeine.

cont at
http://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...iction-coffee-drug-energy-drink?commentpage=1

Actually a pretty interesting article, despite the stupid title.

I find it easier to think of everything in terms of substances, not random plant infusions. I consider each drink to be closer to 100mg for easy math.

I guess it your one of those "two cups of coffee" people then that measurement is fine but I ingest a decent amount of caffeine so it's important to monitor otherwise I get negative effects.

Because it is so prevalent these days we should have caffeine added to drug education, then maybe people would realize you can get speed if you are going to kill yourself with 5g of caffeine. Seriously I'd get adderal or something if I was going that over my standard, or sugar that's good for aggressive energy for an hour or so.

564mg? I'm calling bullshit on that. I simply don't believe it is common for someone to suddenly get a coffee measuring around 600mg of caffeine... if it normally contained 100-150ish, you'd notice that difference.

In fact I'm calling bullshit on the whole lot of it. I've always been an on and off caffeine consumer... sometimes becoming fairly tolerant to pretty high daily consumption. And yeah, I won't lie, stopping it was a little unpleasant sometimes. But hardly in an "oh my god kill me" kind of way. Thing is most people don't consider it a drug anyway and don't consider it something worth stopping. It's a habit, not a true addiction.

^ Exactly what I was thinking.

564mg? I'm calling bullshit on that. I simply don't believe it is common for someone to suddenly get a coffee measuring around 600mg of caffeine... if it normally contained 100-150ish, you'd notice that difference.
But Starbuck's coffee normally contains waaaaay more than 100-150 mg.

^ Exactly what I was thinking.

But Starbuck's coffee normally contains waaaaay more than 100-150 mg.

Still... 550?

If it's true though, then I gotta laugh at the fact that energy drinks are so evil and bad when they only contain a fraction of the amount apparently in starbucks coffee.

I was just thinking that as well. But the taurine has to account for allot as when I tried to switch back to coffie I found it was not as good a buzz, it sure seemed to be more jittery for me. I dont know though maybe I should try again.

Maybe it's to do with the sugar or something, whenever I've looked into it I haven't found any of the other active ingredients in most energy drinks do much of anything. Whatever it is it's very mild.

can't be the sugar because I drink absolute zeros? This is interesting though.. so maybe the cafine is the stimulant and the taurine can counter act some of it more negative aspects which may explain why energy drinks seem to have a more pleasant effect on me than just coffee.

How does it work?
Researchers aren’t exactly sure why taurine seems to help congestive heart failure (CHF). There is some evidence that it improves the function of the left ventricle, one of the chambers of the heart. Taurine might also improve heart failure because it seems to lower blood pressure and calm the sympathetic nervous system, which is often too active in people with high blood pressure and CHF. The sympathetic nervous system is the part of the nervous system that responds to stress.
>source<

In fact I'm calling bullshit on the whole lot of it. I've always been an on and off caffeine consumer... sometimes becoming fairly tolerant to pretty high daily consumption. And yeah, I won't lie, stopping it was a little unpleasant sometimes. But hardly in an "oh my god kill me" kind of way. Thing is most people don't consider it a drug anyway and don't consider it something worth stopping. It's a habit, not a true addiction.
Pretty much anything you can get high from is addictive. And physical dependence is not the some thing as addiction—the two can occur completely independently of each other. Now, they exacerbate each other when combined, but in and of themselves they are distinct conditions.

Caffeine, in this case, has reinforcing properties both in its mood-lifting and fatigue-reducing effects. Mild or sometimes moderate euphoria is often reported on an anecdotal basis. Many people come to depend on one or both of these qualities, forming an addiction that leads to tolerance and an inability to function normally without the drug.

It's no amphetamine, but it certainly has some addictive potential.

Pretty much anything you can get high from is addictive. And physical dependence is not the some thing as addiction—the two can occur completely independently of each other. Now, they exacerbate each other when combined, but in and of themselves they are distinct conditions.

Caffeine, in this case, has reinforcing properties both in its mood-lifting and fatigue-reducing effects. Mild or sometimes moderate euphoria is often reported on an anecdotal basis. Many people come to depend on one or both of these qualities, forming an addiction that leads to tolerance and an inability to function normally without the drug.

It's no amphetamine, but it certainly has some addictive potential.

You're right, dependence isn't addition, I should have been clearer in my first post.

I'll put it another way.

Anyone can become dependent on caffeine in the strictest sense, and it can definitely be a hard habit to break, as can almost any habit. But as you said, addiction is separate. Generally addiction implies, repeated use despite negative repercussions, failed attempts to quit, stuff like that, with or without dependence.

There's a LOOOT of caffeine users, maybe I'm wrong but I doubt even a fraction of them are truly addicted to it in the same way someone can be addicted to smoking, opiates, speed, or even behavioral addictions like gambling and sex.

Again, it's just me, maybe other people are different... but..

I have never felt a craving for caffeine like I have for opiates or cigarettes.
And caffeine has never come even close to making me feel as 'up' as speed.

Sure, it's better than say, doing nothing at all. And I'm sure someone out there has managed to find it addictive, I just doubt it's very common.

My family definitely experiences caffeine withdrawals. Personally, if I start drinking caffeine on a regular basis, the cessation headaches are brutal.

I definitely feel when my body craves a certain type of food and think fast food is addictive. It craves healthy food too though.

You're right, dependence isn't addition, I should have been clearer in my first post.

I'll put it another way.

Anyone can become dependent on caffeine in the strictest sense, and it can definitely be a hard habit to break, as can almost any habit. But as you said, addiction is separate. Generally addiction implies, repeated use despite negative repercussions, failed attempts to quit, stuff like that, with or without dependence.

There's a LOOOT of caffeine users, maybe I'm wrong but I doubt even a fraction of them are truly addicted to it in the same way someone can be addicted to smoking, opiates, speed, or even behavioral addictions like gambling and sex.

Again, it's just me, maybe other people are different... but..

I have never felt a craving for caffeine like I have for opiates or cigarettes.
And caffeine has never come even close to making me feel as 'up' as speed.

Sure, it's better than say, doing nothing at all. And I'm sure someone out there has managed to find it addictive, I just doubt it's very common.
Caffeine use rarely causes anything like the problems associated with other stimulants, probably because its desirable effects, while similar in form, are much weaker and it doesn't seem to be cardiotoxic at reasonable doses.

There are also, of course, people who use it to wake up but derive little or no enjoyment from it. They aren't getting high in a traditional sense. In fact, the level of stimulation people like me intentionally induce would likely be unpleasant for them. Most of my immediate family is like that—I'm just special, apparently.

The question is, are most caffeine users truly addicted, or is their body merely accustomed to its presence? I don't know. I'd have to see how they behave after their withdrawals are over.