Site Feedback "Gender" Field in Profile

addictivepersona

Bluelight Crew
Something that's been bugging me about the profiles on here for awhile, is that one little word of "Gender". Gender isn't male/female or boy/girl, but that is the answer most people expect to see in that box when they want information about you...

For many people, the terms “gender” and “sex” are interchangeable. This idea has become so common, particularly in western societies, that it is rarely questioned. Yet biological sex and gender are different; gender is not inherently connected to one’s physical anatomy.

Sex is biological and includes physical attributes such as sex chromosomes, gonads, sex hormones, internal reproductive structures, and external genitalia. At birth, it is used to identify individuals as male or female. Gender on the other hand is far more complicated. Along with one’s physical traits, it is the complex interrelationship between those traits and one’s internal sense of self as male, female, both or neither as well as one’s outward presentations and behaviors related to that perception. ...continued

Was going to start this thread awhile ago but felt it may get moved to TDS. :p All joking aside, is it a possibility to change that term to (or to add another box for) "Sex" or "Biologically [insert term here]", without having to do a major overhaul of the site's infrastructure? ;)

I realize it is an optional field, but I still feel those of us who don't feel the same gender as our genitalia, and have thought about it long enough to know the difference*, shouldn't have to be forced to peg down exactly what our gender is for the sake of appearing normal on a profile page, or be limited to 50 characters when describing it. ;) And sure, we could just put "transgender", but unfortunately there is such a stigma around that--So many do not know the difference between "transgender" and "transsexual" it is a shame IMO.

*I was talking with someone about this, and it was brought to my attention that the apparent "difference" between "anatomical sex" and "gender" may be due to a possible reclassification of the term "gender."

I guess it all really comes down to how/if you define yourself, how you define "gender" and "sex", how nit-picky you are, etc. Let me know your thoughts in relation to BL changing their profile wording, please. :)

while you raise an interesting point, i don't really see the need to change anything. you can always the gender part blank and write whatever you want in the biography section if you need to explain more than the gender box allows. of course, this is only my opinion, i don't speak for the entire staff :)

what term do you suggest? sex? what would you suggest for "insert term here"?

alasdair

You're entitled to put whatever you want to into the Gender box. I think the community is more interested with how to address you (sir or ma'am), and not so much what you have underneath your pants.

i think most people understand what is meant by the term even if it's not 100% correct in your eyes, ap. if anybody would like to make a case for our changing this, please go ahead but it doesn't seem like a priority to me at this time.

alasdair

^ It's not a priority... Just something to think on, I guess.

You're entitled to put whatever you want to into the Gender box. I think the community is more interested with how to address you (sir or ma'am), and not so much what you have underneath your pants.
That's what I'm talking about though--Not everyone fits nicely into the "male" or into the "female" gender. Biologically, yes, there is usually only male or female, but gender can be a whole range of things.

And while, yes, AC, that could be done--But people want a quick answer, they don't want to read a novel (or even a full sentence sometimes). It'd be nicer, IMO, to just have a box for "Sex" or "Biological Sex" or for some other term. Because usually there is only male or female. I'm not saying make it a drop down where you have to pick "male" or "female"...

what term do you suggest? sex? what would you suggest for "insert term here"?

The term I was talking about in the brackets doesn't exist: The brackets would be the entry box area...

I appreciate you guys hearing me out. I realize most people confuse "gender" and "sex" to mean the same thing. Just didn't know if I was alone in knowing the difference and feeling on a website such as BL that it should be changed. No big deal--I'll just continue to leave it blank, and people will ask if they feel so inclined. ;)

That's what I'm talking about though--Not everyone fits nicely into the "male" or into the "female" gender. Biologically, yes, there is usually only male or female, but gender can be a whole range of things.

Can you quantify how many people don't fit nicely into either of those two categories? If it's less than the number of people who vote Libertarian in federal elections, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

i understand that. i checked the profile page and the 'gender' field accepts up to 50 characters which allows those who wish to write something other than 'male' or 'female' to do so.

alasdair

i understand that. i checked the profile page and the 'gender' field accepts up to 50 characters which allows those who wish to write something other than 'male' or 'female' to do so.

alasdair

^ great point. If people want to share their autobiography, well, there's a "biography" section for them to do that too. =D