• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Gabapentin & xanax for opioid withdrawal

You probably feel quite horrible and I know exactly what that feels like. Just get past the first week and feel free to use benzos/anxiety meds within reason to get past it easier. If you don't have anxiety issues normally without the withdrawal being present, then I can't see someone randomly developing benzo addiction without anxiety being a key life issue for them. However, be careful in case you relapse and you're on the benzos. You do not want to have taken alprazolam and then unexpectedly relapse on opiates and potentiate the respiratory depression from the drug combo. Gabapentin helps, but the physical symptoms beyond anxiety are quite terrible and most likely unavoidable for everyone. After the first week and half you still feel like ape shit but can walk around and go about your day pretending to be normal in front of others. Opiate withdrawal really isn't that bad despite what it feels like unless its methadone or something seriously powerful that you're coming off of. The first week is quite nasty in every way, and maybe the second especially mentally. Its really just two weeks that you need to push past and then slowly adjust to living off opiates again. Even if you relapse, just try to keep repeating the cycle of getting off it because the withdrawal decays a bit each day, and doesn't randomly 100% return with one tiny line of dope. Each second you're off the drugs adds up closer to the finish line. I find the weeks AFTER the first 2 to be perhaps even harder in the sense that the cravings can sneak up on you hardcore. The depression hits in waves, and sometimes you even feel better mentally off opiates even in withdrawal. The thing is, we know how strong the chance of relapse is with painkillers, and then heroin even more. I would honestly expect some relapsing especially for myself. Its how you handle the relapsing that makes a big difference in whether you keep recovering during the withdrawal or you just go back to old habits daily using all the time again because it feels good lol.
this is so true. i’ve gotten clean once for real and had a few years under my belt. I relapsed almost two years ago, did a short 3 day inpatient to detox, and then picked back up a little over a year ago and now am trying to quit again. I know why I use and i’m at such a good point in my life that this is the only thing holding me back and I very desperately need to stop. it’s scaring me because absolutely no one knows and everyone’s so proud and yadda yadda yadda. no one even knows that I overdosed last year, woke up in the ambulance completely devastated, spent the night in the hospital and left the next morning. took an uber to get my car and no one found out it had even happened. i’m so scared that i’m gonna OD again and my family will find me. I just want this to end.

Best bet is to just stop, sit the withdrawl out.
I know but I can’t. if I just stop it will affect my work and I can’t afford for my family to find out why i’m sick. I know it sounds trivial but I have to figure out how to get off this shit without turning my life upside down.

I know but I can’t. if I just stop it will affect my work and I can’t afford for my family to find out why i’m sick. I know it sounds trivial but I have to figure out how to get off this shit without turning my life upside down.
You make excuses all the time, you have no real desire to quit.

Trust me I have been using Heroin for more decades than you been alive & I heard every Junkie excuse under the Sun.

Trust me I have been using Heroin for more decades than you been alive & I heard every Junkie excuse under the Sun.
i’m not making excuses for anything. i’m just trying to not ruin my family’s life AGAIN by not handling my shit and fixing my fuck up ALONE without pulling them into it. you don’t know anything about me or my life or what I “desire”. you can sincerely take whatever it is you’re saying and go elsewhere. i’m not trying to use heroin as long as you i’m trying to quit.

Clonidine is not a controlled substance and any walk in clinic doc will script it to you…for opioid reduction / withdrawal symptoms…it’s probably the most important component to a regiment. Gabapentin has the same MOA as Pregabalin.

Clonidine is not a controlled substance and any walk in clinic doc will script it to you…for opioid reduction / withdrawal symptoms…it’s probably the most important component to a regiment. Gabapentin has the same MOA as Pregabalin.
when you say MOA what do you mean? and i’ll definitely look into getting the clonodine I thought I’d have to have a doctor prescribe it to me. so you think a mixture of gabapentin, clonidine, and a xan here or there will help me out??

Mechanism of Action ….how a drug works

Gabapentinoids - Pregabalin, Gabapentin, Baclofen, Phenibut, etc

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is an approved version of Gabapentin. 90% oral bioavailability over the entire dosing range 75-600mg, faster onset and peak serum levels 1h on fasted state

Gabapentin 300mg capsules are 60% oral bioavailability (80% for 100mg) and must take dose every 30min-1h until desired effects are reached in 2-3h

Mechanism of Action ….how a drug works

Gabapentinoids - Pregabalin, Gabapentin, Baclofen, Phenibut, etc

Pregabalin (Lyrica) is an approved version of Gabapentin. 90% oral bioavailability over the entire dosing range 75-600mg, faster onset and peak serum levels 1h on fasted state

Gabapentin 300mg capsules are 60% oral bioavailability (80% for 100mg) and must take dose every 30min-1h until desired effects are reached in 2-3h
I have 600mg gabapentin tablets. how do those compare?? should I increase dosage to equal a pregab or is it not worth it??

Is this how you talk to everyone? Just "I've dealt with worse than you!!! I know all your evil junkie tricks and you're all just a bunch of loosers!!" every single time? Being shitty to people while also bragging that you struggled ~so much harder~ than they are isn't going to help anyone. And I'm sorry if I have to be the one to tell you this, but nobody gives a fuck that you had it ~so much harder than everyone else~ and nobody asked.

I have 600mg gabapentin tablets. how do those compare?? should I increase dosage to equal a pregab or is it not worth it??

Also, clonidine IS prescription only, but it is indeed not a controlled substance or drug of abuse, so it shouldn't be difficult to get it from them.

Pregabalin and gabapentin dosing will never really match because of the difference in duration and bioavailability (pregabalin you can safety take twice a day to keep its effect constant, gabapentin requires 3-4 times a day to keep its effect constant). If he doesn't give you an answer before you're ready to jump off (I'm guessing there may be a delay to try to get clonidine?) you could go in with the plan of taking one and starting a stagger if it doesn't do anything after an hour. If you take like five of them staggered though, and you're still not feeling anything, it's probably just not helping you much. That could happen with gabapentin, because it works in a very strange way that makes it apparently even more subject to individual body chemistry than other drugs.

And since part of your plan is to avoid impacting work and whatnot, try to plan it so you have as many days off as possible when you expect to be real sick. It might be obvious, but sometimes we forget the obvious things. My guess is none of these are going to completely eliminate your acute withdrawal symptoms, either.

Is this how you talk to everyone? Just "I've dealt with worse than you!!! I know all your evil junkie tricks and you're all just a bunch of loosers!!" every single time? Being shitty to people while also bragging that you struggled ~so much harder~ than they are isn't going to help anyone. And I'm sorry if I have to be the one to tell you this, but nobody gives a fuck that you had it ~so much harder than everyone else~ and nobody asked.

Also, clonidine IS prescription only, but it is indeed not a controlled substance or drug of abuse, so it shouldn't be difficult to get it from them.

Pregabalin and gabapentin dosing will never really match because of the difference in duration and bioavailability (pregabalin you can safety take twice a day to keep its effect constant, gabapentin requires 3-4 times a day to keep its effect constant). If he doesn't give you an answer before you're ready to jump off (I'm guessing there may be a delay to try to get clonidine?) you could go in with the plan of taking one and starting a stagger if it doesn't do anything after an hour. If you take like five of them staggered though, and you're still not feeling anything, it's probably just not helping you much. That could happen with gabapentin, because it works in a very strange way that makes it apparently even more subject to individual body chemistry than other drugs.

And since part of your plan is to avoid impacting work and whatnot, try to plan it so you have as many days off as possible when you expect to be real sick. It might be obvious, but sometimes we forget the obvious things. My guess is none of these are going to completely eliminate your acute withdrawal symptoms, either.
dude thank you. that just explained so much for me. so since they’re 600mg do you think that would be too much to stagger with for the first time?? or should I start with 300 staggered 4 times a day first? and then second day 600 staggered and so on until the worst of it is out the way, assuming it helps at all?

also should I wait until I start feeling wd symptoms before I start the gab?? and do you know of anything similar to clonidine that you can buy otc?

Okay so let’s try this again. i’ve had about a .5g every 1-2 days of opioids/fent habit for about a year now. I tried going off of it last year and almost had it down but relapsed in a time of stress. i’ve been researching ways to have a less intense withdrawal and have seen a lot of people on here talk about using gabapentin or pregabalin for withdrawals and how it seems to help make it a little more bearable. so after a year of looking i’ve finally found a supply of gab (about 45 600mg pills) and have access to a script of 1mg xanax pills. im thinking of using the two to get through this withdrawal and be done with sh!t. I just don’t have an idea of how much gab to take or if I should stagger the gab and xans. can someone help me figure this out??
Can you get subs to go w the gaba & benzo? It’s a solid helper. Also, thc edibles atoeast the first days when life sucks, body aches, mood is ahit, etc.

be careful af w that xanax. dont take it more than a few days. have been through heavy/high dose ope wd and benzo wd. would do the ope wd 1000x over another serious benzo wd.
Ughh you An me both. I didn’t even use them rec. I just took them for years because of anxiety and sleep issues. It must’ve taken me three or four months to not trip over my words and lose my train of thought. I was constantly shaky, felt like I was about to have a nervous breakdown, couldn’t focus, it was awful.

dude thank you. that just explained so much for me. so since they’re 600mg do you think that would be too much to stagger with for the first time?? or should I start with 300 staggered 4 times a day first? and then second day 600 staggered and so on until the worst of it is out the way, assuming it helps at all?

I think you should have the 600 mg as your initial dose, and then after an hour, if you're not feeling any better, start staggering with 300mg doses. Although you should start feeling it after an hour, keep in mind that the effect of a dose peaks at about 4 hours if I remember correctly. I've always started feeling really nice by the time I've staggered four 900 mg doses when trying to get high (and I've probably got some long-term tolerance, so it should happen with a lower dose for you). By the time you've staggered 1800mg I think someone new to gabapentin should definitely be feeling something, unless it's just not going to do anything for you.

I do recommend waiting until you start to get withdrawal symptoms. The gabapentin should be particularly useful for any restless legs stuff you might get, and it also might help with bad mood and sleep too.

I don't know of anything similar to clonidine that's OTC, unfortunately. Its biggest effect is lowering blood pressure, but it comes with a couple of other things too (like mild constipation -- but this should just help normalize that stuff during your withdrawal, and it can make you tired, etc.). There might be some natural things out there that have some similar (but weaker) effects possibly. Random google search says maybe pomegranate juice could possibly be a bit similar? I have no idea though.

Don't be a , you don't know him and they're here for help so if you can't help say nothing.
He obviously has a desire to quit if he's posting. Trying to knock someone down isn't helpful at all. It's the opposite

@anthonyxx pay no attention to negative comments.
I'm in a similar situation where it's just me that knows I use so I know how hard it is to try to get off it without anyone close realizing it's not just a flu.

Definitely get clonidine If you can. It really helps. Hydrate to help flush it out. Try to not overthink it. Keep your mind on something else.
Don't use the Xanax for more then a couple days but I would take a couple if needed. Better to be zoned out on Xanax for a couple days then doing fentanyl again. Just don't get a habit with it.
The gabapentin will help also.

Let us know how you're doing and keep reminding yourself it will be over in a couple days.

Good luck 👍

Can you get subs to go w the gaba & benzo? It’s a solid helper. Also, thc edibles atoeast the first days when life sucks, body aches, mood is ahit, etc.
I have a few suboxone 8mg tabs I believe but I don’t wanna take them tbh. I know they’d help but i’m just nervous that it’ll fuck things up.

Don't be a , you don't know him and they're here for help so if you can't help say nothing.
He obviously has a desire to quit if he's posting. Trying to knock someone down isn't helpful at all. It's the opposite

I'm in a similar situation where it's just me that knows I use so I know how hard it is to try to get off it without anyone close realizing it's not just a flu.

Definitely get clonidine If you can. It really helps. Hydrate to help flush it out. Try to not overthink it. Keep your mind on something else.
Don't use the Xanax for more then a couple days but I would take a couple if needed. Better to be zoned out on Xanax for a couple days then doing fentanyl again. Just don't get a habit with it.

Let us know how you're doing and keep reminding yourself it will be over in a couple days.

Good luck 👍
thank you I really appreciate your kindn

Good luck 👍
thank you I really appreciate your kindness. and f that guy lol he just wants to be a dick. I really don’t know anyone or anywhere to get clonodine so I guess i’m out of luck there. I also don’t plan on taking the xans past this withdrawal I just know they’ll help me sleep and calm my anxiety. some people on here have recommended I stagger my gabapentin doses but i’m not trying to get high, just trying to mask as many symptoms as possible. I also have kratom and subs but i’m trying to stay away from those too.

I think you should have the 600 mg as your initial dose, and then after an hour, if you're not feeling any better, start staggering with 300mg doses. Although you should start feeling it after an hour, keep in mind that the effect of a dose peaks at about 4 hours if I remember correctly. I've always started feeling really nice by the time I've staggered four 900 mg doses when trying to get high (and I've probably got some long-term tolerance, so it should happen with a lower dose for you). By the time you've staggered 1800mg I think someone new to gabapentin should definitely be feeling something, unless it's just not going to do anything for you.

I do recommend waiting until you start to get withdrawal symptoms. The gabapentin should be particularly useful for any restless legs stuff you might get, and it also might help with bad mood and sleep too.

I don't know of anything similar to clonidine that's OTC, unfortunately. Its biggest effect is lowering blood pressure, but it comes with a couple of other things too (like mild constipation -- but this should just help normalize that stuff during your withdrawal, and it can make you tired, etc.). There might be some natural things out there that have some similar (but weaker) effects possibly. Random google search says maybe pomegranate juice could possibly be a bit similar? I have no idea though.
thanks for the insight this was really helpful. so I think i’m gonna do a lil test run and stop using for a couple days until my WD starts rearing its head and then i’ll take a 600mg gabapentin and see how it works for me. and try staggering that day and hopefully it’s bearable enough to continue on and be done with the shit until I feel fine enough to stop the gabapentin. do you know how long it takes to become dependent meaning is the gabapentin gonna trigger withdrawals when I stop taking that??

I think it would usually take at least a week before your body gets used to having the gabapentin in its system, but you also might not get withdrawals from it at all even if you use it constantly for a long time. It's a pretty weird drug.