• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Gabapentin withdrawal question

Outsider31

Bluelighter
Hi guys today is officially 100 days off of my 160mg a day opana habit. I quit that cold turkey the first week and then used a combination of gabapentin and baclofen. To help me get through the rest of the withdrawals. I was taking anywhere from 60mg baclofen and 4000mg gabapentin on and 2 or 3 times a week since mid July and this past week I used everyday. I'm now on day 2 and feel withdrawal beginning.

I know it won't be as bad as my 160mg cold turkey withdrawal from opana er, but does anyone have any guesses as to how long I can expect this to last? Also, can anyone recommend anything to help make the withdrawal more comfortable? Thanks

gabapentin is definitely something you should taper down off of, all GABAergic drugs should be tapered off of. The worst of the withdrawals will only last about a week, but you may feel some anxiety persisting into the following weeks. There is not much out there that could help you with that kind of withdrawal without getting you hooked onto something else.

Congratulations on the 100 days clean, thats a huge deal, and best of luck with this gabapentin situation.

Nice post HH!

Yes, you really should try to taper off the baclofen and gabapentin. The withdrawals can last a very significant amount of time with gabaergic substances, so a taper makes this infinitely easier on your body and mind.

I am currently in the same situation with Gabapentin myself.
I do like how it helps my anxiety and pain
but I would love to taper to a much lower dose so I don't experience horrific withdrawal.
I would suggest to taper like the above posters have said;
Reduce 100 mg a week and you should be okay.
I wish you luck bud,

Thanks for the input guys...just began day 3. Yesterday my anxiety was coming in waves and then kind of fading and then returning. So far today it's the same deal. Luckily I don't have any physical issues like the opana gave me (thank god) other than waking up at night a little sweaty. Just this damn anxiety is getting to me.

They do have 100 mg caps.
If anything - you can break the capsules and divide up the powder.
Breaking the capsules will not increase absorption time at all.

Or you can ween yourself down to 300mg/day, then skip days taking 300mg every other day. Splitting up capsules can be messy, though in a pinch it will do. You could also talk to your doctor about getting smaller doses.

What dose are you at right now with the gabapentin and baclofen? I mean, how much of each are you taking each day as of now?

For a couple months I was taking like 60mg baclofen and almost 4000 mg gabapentin. I was only taking them 2-3 times a week for the last 3 n a half months. This past week I took the same dosage of both everyday last week. My last dose of each was Monday 5pm. I know I should've tapered but I don't have much willpower.

It's okay, shit happens. Nothing to beat yourself up about, if you can help it.

Did you take anything yesterday or today?

No nothing, today is my 3rd day. My last dose was 5pm on Monday so I'm nearing 72 hours.

Try taking 300mg today. See how that works and check in with us again. If it works out well just stick with that for two weeks. Then you can take 300mg every other day for a week or two, then every third day for a week. That should transition you off fairly comfortably.

If you need more than 300mg today, try taking it twice a day for a week, then stepping down to 300mg once a day or 150mg twice a day for a week. Then you could go down to 300mg once a day for a week, following that up with 300mg every other day for a week or two, followed by 300mg every third day for a week.

Those are the two taper schedules I'd recommend. It all depends on how you feel with 300mg or 600mg though. Gotta meet yourself where you're at! Less is more, and the key to a taper is sticking to your plan and taking your time.

Keep up the good work and good luck my friend!

Maybe I will give it a shot. Thanks guys and thanks TPD for the taper schedule. I may give it a shot. I'm just scared that I won't be able to taper and will just prolong the misery.

If anything it will help decrease your pain by taper. Regardless, tapering or not, this is going to be a challenging road. Not tapering will just be more painful.

Well today is day 6 for me. Yesterday wasn't too bad. I felt like my anxiety even dropped down a notch and even felt hungry for the first time since I stopped. After work when I got home I decided to take 1 30pmg gabapentin and 1 10mg baclofen just to see if there would be any change but no change.

Sleep is still a bit tough, I've been waking up alot. I just woke up feeling the anxiety n nervousness even as I type this. The only other symptoms of this gabapentin/baclofen withdrawal seems to be the daily headaches and my vision seems to be a little off.

My son's 1st birthday party is in 6 days and to an extent I'm dreading being around family and friends while going through this (no one knows I previously had an oxycodone problem for a couple years, followed by opana for a year and a half and now the last few months gabapentin and baclofen).

Who knows maybe as the day progresses I will feel decent enough. Maybe in a way it's a good thing I'm going through this because I definitely do not miss opana or crave it at all since those terrible withdrawals. Just hoping I don't have months of these current withdrawals. I only took the gabapentin and baclofen for 3 months, mainly 2 or 3 times a week but last week I was on vacation and binged all weekand got myself into this mess. Hopefully another week or 2 of these feelings....wishful thinking lol

Make sure to try and take care of yourself before and after the party. Like go get yourself a quick manicure (your gender doesn't matter; manicures are good for the soul, all peoples' souls) or take a nice walk in nature to decompress. It is so hard carrying the burden that you do. Keep up the great work Outsider31!