• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentin helps withdrawals from everything??

Deemgd

Bluelighter
I regularly take Gabapentin for opiate withdrawals, and it works wonders. It enables me to sleep, takes away RLS, helps with the body aches, irritability, mood swings, and gives me motivation to get out of bed.

Today I picked up my gaba script and took 1600 mgs because I'm having a lot of muscle pain after my 3 day adderall binge that ended Sunday night. I fell asleep for less than half an hour, and when I woke up, all the nasty side effects from the amp (pain and tightness in chest, rapid heart rate, shakiness, no appetite, headache, inability to focus, muscle spasms) were gone. I was only expecting it to lessen the pain a little. I feel a hundred times better!

What is it about gaba that makes it effective against just about every type of withdrawal? I had no idea it was useful for stimulants. I know that it is also used in alcohol and benzo withdrawal. Is there any type of withdrawal that gaba doesn't help with, is dangerous for, or makes worse?

I'm sure glad I have a load of this stuff in my medicine cabinet! It's gold in pill form.

Last edited:
It won’t stop deletion tremens, and you can seize out from GABAergic wd

And divides doses are more effective though you may know that

There is a megathread(!) dedicated to gabapentin and likely someone will discuss this further, though for now am stepping out

Watch the cat

Gabapentin is certainly a wonderful drug! I regret that it took me so long in life to discover it.

In this context, I think it's important to differentiate between forms of addiction and the meaning of the word "withdrawal"

Amphetamines are generally not considered physically addictive, therefore not associated with classic, somewhat long-acting withdrawal symptoms, compared to opiates for example. However, they are EXTREMELY psychologically addictive, and present what you consider a short term "withdrawal", but more of a "come-down", or short term unpleasantness, not completely unlike an alcohol hangover.

But you're absolutely right in that Gabapentin helps in many different areas, regardless of me being anal and applying pointless semantics to everything.

For protracted opiate withdrawals, I don't know a lot of the science behind how and why it works. I just agree with you that it does. I've read some stuff, but could hardly paraphrase it here without doing some generic copy/paste plagarism. But the gaba stuff, the "Substance P" actions are real, and very noticeably mitigate the acute withdrawal symptoms.

As amps don't necessarily have the acute withdrawal symptoms, you're mostly just experiencing the comedown. Which sucks in its own right, for sure. I think the relief you feel there is similar to the concept of the all-time classic method of benzos after a coke binge. You're just using one substance to help mask some short term symptoms. The difference being that stim come-down symptoms are a fuck of a lot easier to chemically fix than full on opiate withdrawal symptoms.

I've actually never tried Gaba after stims. I've been known to dabble in some blow every now and then, so I'll try that next time. Clonidine and a bit of Xanax worked absolute WONDERS for me after my most recent coke binge, a roaring success in that it was my first time trying that combo, but next time I'll try just gabapentin. You know, for science :)

Last edited:
Pregabalin is even better for opioid wd's I would say it takes away 99% of wd's but taking too long (over 1 month) gives really nasty wd's just like opioid wd's but last around 1 week. I wouldn't recommend to use it longer than 1 week.