• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Gabapentinoids Gabapentin for pain questions

thurston

Bluelighter
I am thinking about asking my dr for gabapentin for chronic neck and back pain. I've had opiates in the past prescribed but I hate the sweating and withdrawal. How bad are gabapentin side effects and withdrawal? Having just gotten off kratom for the millionth time I don't want to go through anymore withdrawal but the pain is so bad.

Depending on cause of aches/pains (nerves, trauma(s), arthritis etc) it may be an option. If I recall correctly it is administered for neurological conditions and becomes effective with daily use over a period of a week or two... don't quote me on the timing of this.
I would talk to your doctor for information on possible withdrawals and other unwanted side effects. Some have no issues with it and some do. I have read that it may come with memory issues and possibly either open one up to "disorders" such as Alzheimer's, dementia if taken for long periods so if true that would be something to consider.
Maybe there could be some "cycling" of meds; like gabapentin for a while (if it's neurological issues) and then other effective meds for a few weeks, days, months. There are many analgesics but IMO one has to know what one is treating to be able to treat, no?
But definitely have a long talk with the doctor on this would just be my suggestion.
Wishing you and yours the best,
Peace
<3

When you come off it you should taper, but there's not usually much for withdrawal. Though there are those who do report the opposite so its gonna be different for everyone, still the risk is pretty low. I have months and months worth of those things. prescribed 300mg 6x a day. But don't take half that. Sometimes I'll take it and sometimes I don't. I've never noticed any withdrawal. The effects do diminish pretty fast though.

I obtained some 100mg pills. I took 100-300mg a few times and they helped with the pain but I had noticeable depression and irritability the day after (benzos seem to have the same effect the day after I take them). Now that the kratom wd has mostly subsided I am actually in less pain. I think the desire to keep the kratom dose as low as possible/tolerance was causing the pain to be amplified because I was always on the verge of wd.

Hey @thurston

I'm sorry you have to deal with this bullshit. Life is hard enough without having to deal with an enemy within like this. The entire treatment of pain in the Western World has been pretty badly twisted and perverted. I'm not even saying I know what the answer actually is, but then again, I'm not a doctor. We pay the price for taking shortcuts in life. Doctors love having an immediate solution to such a terrible problem so they can check the box. This goes great for ~6months before the cycle of tolerance, dependence, withdrawal and pain sensitivization begins. Doses would be increased with increasingly diminished returns. The patient begins experiencing pain even with Opioids on board. Like a trapped animal, they are drawn to the only thing that has ever brought them relief. This often takes them to abuse and then to the streets and Fentanyl. They are cut off from their medicine, labeled problem-drug-seeking-antisocial-miscreants and their independent life is then effectively over.

I'm up on my pedestal I guess. I will try to actually answer your question now.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) is also an addictive drug that produces dependence and withdrawal. That is the first and most important point for you right now. You would do well to treat your Gabapentin intake with as much care and concern as you would were you taking Opioids. Never take any more than what is required for your contentment and functionality. Take breaks. Pick days where less will be taken based upon need. Be smart about it and the medication will maintain efficacy longer.

Gabapentinoids [Gabapentin (Neurontin; Pregabalin (Lyrica) and Phenibut)] are pretty great analgesics depending upon the application. They seem to relieve pain in a general sense, yes, but they are most effective in certain scenarios. Your neck pain seems like it could line up. if it helps, I say pursue it.

A normal starting dose for someone like yourself is going to be 300mg Gabapentin 2x-3x per day. I won't bore you with the nitty gritty of the pharmacokinetics of this one, but suffice to say that the more you take, the less is absorbed. It is not a linear function like with basically all other substances we know.

I'm not gonna overload you. Start here, do some research. Read what other BL'ers have to say. I'm also very knowledgeable on a personal level with Gabapentinoids, so if you have any questions just come back here and we can all try to help you out.