• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin for Alcohol Withdrawal

happyneedles

Bluelighter
Hey, guys. A friend of mine (no, seriously) is a binge drinker (he has been steadily sipping vodka for the last five days) who is about to go through some pretty intense withdrawals. I gave him a bottle of vitamin B1, which I know will only help a tiny bit if any, and he has a bottle of 40 100mg Gabapentin. Is this enough to ease his withdrawals even slightly? I take Gabapentin for migraines, and now that I know how to divy-up and stagger my 600mg 3x's a day dosage, it has helped with so much more (even coming off benzos and opiates but alcohol is one thing I never got into, so I'm totally out of my element here).

Can anyone offer advice regarding the Gabapentin and/or for dealing with this in general? I realize medical detox is probably the way to go, but there is no way he's going. Period.

i think gabapentin will help with the alcohol WD's as well as help with him not wanting to drink. It helps you not want to drink or smoke cigs.

Gabapentin helps me not drink but i didnt really use it for WD's But im certain it would help.

I would suggest a detox program from a rehab. Alcohol withdrawals can cause seizures or death. Point is they suck ass. You would do better with rehab few day detox. Withdrawals can cause seizures, or worse. Rapid withdrawal is the most dangerous part of the withdraw process due to over excitation of brain cells. One bad withdrawal can due permanent damage. Your friend can go to a few day to a week detox center. Nurses would monitor his condition. You would do better of using benzodiazepines to help him off the alcohol. That's what they use in rehab facility's. Gabapentin could help to a point, but it doesn't act on the brain in enough capacity to help with the acute withdrawal symptoms. It's simply does not cover some main alcohol withdrawal symptoms. Get your hands on some Valium or similar. The benzodiazepine will help safely help the person detox. The person cant be drunk either. Some of that alcohol needs to wear off or its a possible OD. After the main acute phase of the detox, the gabapentin would soften some of the sick feeling.
I have been in rehab, and have learned how they handle detoxes. I would still recommend a hospital setting.
Also, drink plenty of water and Gatorade.

Check into a detox/rehab that has medical professionals in it for alcohol withdrawal.

It's not something you or your 'friend' want to do alone as people have died from this.

Good luck and stay safe.

5 day binge? no way will WD will appear that soon unless you giving false info if it does happen its gonna be very minor if anything just some crazy anxiety
nothing some benzos and a bunch of vitamins wont cure

i have been drinking daily for the past yr i went to the doc and told him what was going on
i drink 3 to 4 beers a nightly
he said thats no way near enough to cause any extreme WD but he did say you are gonna feel like shit for the first 3 days after you go cold turkey
yes he said CT if anything just to pop a xanax or some ativan

for a 5 day binge again doubt you or him will feel anything maybe some anxiety or crazy insomnia

Last edited:
IMO gabapentin is a very useful drug for almost any WD.Along with a few benzos it helped me rather well getting off oxy's.Good luck to your friend,any addiction is a bitch and I'm glad when anyone wants to better themselves enough to wd!

Gabapentin should ease some of the symptoms, but depending on the length and severity of his habit, a medical detox might be required. Alcohol withdrawal is one of the most dangerous ones out there.

This is the kind of thread I really relate to, so I appologize in advance if I overdo a response. I'm very passionate about helping people who are in a situation I've been in before. Alcohol is some nasty fucking shit...

Your friend would probably be better off tapering down alcohol
than using gabapentin for withdrawal.
As others have said, alcohol withdrawal does not fuck around. It is some serious shit and I know that first hand.
I would advise you have your friend seek help from a doctor, who can prescribe you some sort of benzo or start a treatment program.

I have experienced straight up auditory hallucinations (people yelling very negative things through a closed window that were more real than ever), cold sweats, anxiety, waking up breathless into full on panic attacks, the list goes on.

I toughed it out twice now alone, because I had no one else around. One was a 7 day binder with 125mg etizolam and a full on blackout. And a week of literally dying on the floor, the worst 5 days of my life. Like I can't even explain how anxiety prone my thoughts were. My kidneys felt like they were exploading. I had dreams of being stabbed and constant paranoia, I prayed to god for the first time in my life. I had visual disturbances like turning the lights off resulted in an aura type glow that blinded me temporarily. Pretty sure I had a siezure or two and no one was there.

Then I fucking did it again about a year later, 5 day binder 150+oz of liquor and 5g of cocaine and it is just fucking hell. I am one lucky son of a bitch.

Advise your friend to get some help outside self medication if it is really bad. And do it asap.

For what it's worth, here is a post after the latter situation I made here. Bluelight is here to help!
http://www.bluelight.org/vb/threads...on-Thread-Version-7-0?p=13164721#post13164721

Lastly - B vitamins - get a sublingual B vitamin complex, a good multi with minerals. And vitamin C. And one banana a day. I swear, it makes a huge difference.

Last edited:
5 days?? Is that mistake. I've drank a week stright. Had some shitty rebound anxiety. I did in fact take Gabapentin the day after I stoped and any symptoms went away, but if you've been drinking heavily for a while, gabapentin won't do much.

Gabapentin will help. 5 days? I don't mean to belittle, but I don't start worrying about my alcohol intake until I'm about 5 weeks into a binge and I'm an alcoholic. 5 days is just a bad hangover for me.