• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Gabapentin and it’s recently discovered GABA A activity

GABA has no medical use, I'm pretty sure it's no better than placebo in GABAergic withdrawal, otherwise it would be a standard first line therapy.

Phenibut is a GABA-B receptor agonist only (and also has activity similar to gabapentin or pregabalin as well), it may substitute partially for alcohol or GHB but as benzodiazepines are GABA-A receptor positive modulators it won't directly substitute. Some people find its effects help anyway though.

"Think of how stupid the average American is. Now realize, that means that 50% of them are dumber than that!" - George Carlin

GABA is a very poor drug, chemically speaking, it is very hydrophilic (logP of -3) and I don't think it makes it to the brain when consumed orally.

If GABA was centrally active and produced an effect like benzos/barbiturates/GHB it would have been documented by now, people would be using it widely, and would probably have been banned too.

They said the same thing about Loperamide for years in regards to the BBB. I never experienced any anxiolytic effects from taking gaba, but some people swear by it. I believe there was some form (Picamilon?) binded to Niacin that could cross the BBB.

They said the same thing about Loperamide for years in regards to the BBB. I never experienced any anxiolytic effects from taking gaba, but some people swear by it. I believe there was some form (Picamilon?) binded to Niacin that could cross the BBB.

There is Niacin in it.

JJ