• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment From Methadone to Suboxone

MassachusettsNA

Greenlighter
Hello,

i am currently on 32mg methadone daily and due to severe, severe constipation my doctor wants to switch me over to suboxone next week. He lowered my dose to 29mg methadone today. He wants me to stop dosing on Sunday. He cancelled my dose for Sunday and Monday. He set an appointment for me to get suboxone on Tuesday morning.
Im afraid of the withdrawals. Has anyone ever switched from methadone to suboxone before? What should I be aware of. What will help with withdrawals. I have a Med cabinet full of medications that I?m willing to take if it will help.

I have never ever heard of someone jumping from methadone to suboxone like this before. Especially at this dose. Please share your experiences. Thank you.

Why would he cancel your doses for two days before starting the subs? Maybe there is a medical reason for this but surely he could have communicated that if there is. Did he offer anything for WDs?

**This is PURELY my opinion as I have done a lot of insane stuff to myself but methadone to sub I have not done**

If he tried to induce you anytime before 48 hours there is a very good chance you would be in for a nightmare! Still may be in for hell even at 48 hours. You will know the hell is there if your constipation problem instantly corrects itself. Usually easier to transition off short actors. If you suddenly appear as though you have a garden hose pointed out of your mouth and out of your a$$ you will be scratching the surface of the true hell of precipitated withdrawal.

The requirement is that suboxone must be started a minimum of 48 hours after your last methadone dose. Also, medically the methadone dose must be below 30mg before transferring to suboxone although most clinics make you fall below 20mg.

Anyhow the reasoning for this is because the methadone has a half life of approximately 24 hours but it definately stores in your body for a long time in your bones. Anyhow, you would go into severe withdrawal if you took Suboxone right after methadone.

Hey Massachusettsna, okay so your doctor is definitely guiding you in the right direction. He is telling you that you need to take off those two days because he knows that you can go into precipitated withdrawals if you take the Suboxone too soon. That is a high dose of methadone to be coming off of but it is possible and I know because I've done it myself. If I were you I would wait at least 80 hours before you take that Suboxone to prevent any precipitated withdrawals. Get yourself a cows sheet that will help determine if you are really in withdrawal or if it's just your mind messing around with you, I've done it myself and I know you can do it to please let me know if I can help you in any way, best of luck to you,

voo

Oh and Massachusetts, the longer you wait to take the Suboxone the better you will feel wait it out as long as possible just knowing that you can feel better as soon as you take it to help you get deeper in the hours whatever you do my friend do not take it unless you are in severe withdrawal because you are going to be in very bad shape don't make the mistake that I did do it the correct way
I know you can do it .

voo

I think you'll be happy with suboxone. The 48 hours are required to avoid precipitated withdrawal. It might take a few days before the suboxone starts working fully since it is a step down from methadone. But you should feel back to 100% within a week.

My experience was the same as everyone else's. In fact, I didn't wait long enough and did go into precipitated withdrawal for about 12 hours. I had more bupe and more methadone, but was pretty sure that neither one would end the misery I was in, so I rode it out. Horrible experience! 72 hours is usually enough from short-acting drugs like heroin, Lortabs, etc, but methadone is the longest acting drug out there. As far as your constipation is concerned, you can experience just as bad symptoms from Sub as from methadone. If your doctor doesn't want to prescribe any Rx drugs, you might try some of the "filler" type laxatives that add fiber to your system. I've gotten into a situation where I had to use magnesium citrate (the stuff they give you before colonoscopies) to get moving again. Painful and humiliating as well! Welcome!

I just did this at home. I took 2 mg of sub after 24 hr off of dones. Holly shit was I fucked tor 6 hrs. Then I took another 2 mg and it got better. Do what ur doc says by waiting at least 2 days. Keep your dose low and try to taper off in 10 -12 days or else you will be stuck on it like me. I have been on it for a month now I will have to go thru he'll to get off. I also think if you were only down to 15 or 20 of dones that would be even much better. I was at 20 and it was pretty cappy the transition. Trust me by day 2 of subs you will be feeling almost normal. By day three you will be feeling great. Keep your dose low, like 4 mg at most than start taper asap. Goodluck!

Hi yep I got hospitalised at weekend moving myself fro 90 meth a day to sub was easy worst thing ever anyway out now doing 2 8 mg bupe at a time and still got w/d, can I just wack h or meth ( if I can get) on top and will stop me rattling. Got a business to run any help appreciated
Thanks

Looks like this doctor is being at best manipulative and at worst entirely unethical (I vote unethical - there is no reason for treating a patient like this).

The doctor canceled your dose Sunday and Monday because they want you to get as much of the methadone out of your system before they induce you on buprenorphine. The idea is to avoid precipitated withdrawal. Those two days shouldn't be too horrible given methadone's long half life (it takes a couple days for withdrawal to really set in).

That all said, I have to call bullshit on this "professional."

Seems to me like your doctor is telling you what's best for you, as opposed to working with you to accomplish goals you identify as important.

Dude would do good to take a motivational interviewing training... Doctor's might know what is best for their patients (in some instances at least), but with something like addiction that means very, very little. It's far more important to actually empower the patient (not just make them feel empowered, but actually support them cultivating skills that allow them to independently become so for themselves).

Showing someone what it's like to become empowered doesn't happen when they're being led around their early recovery on a leash.

OP, do YOU want to get off methadone? Do you want to transition to Suboxone like this?

I see a lot of read flags with what you described in your post, but I hope it works out well for you. Please do let us know how you're doing.

[below is a bunch of stuff I misread from the post - so a lot of info but kinda besides the point]

Hello,

i am currently on 32mg methadone daily and due to severe, severe constipation my doctor wants to switch me over to suboxone next week. He lowered my dose to 29mg methadone today. He wants me to stop dosing on Sunday. He cancelled my dose for Sunday and Monday. He set an appointment for me to get suboxone on Tuesday morning.
Im afraid of the withdrawals. Has anyone ever switched from methadone to suboxone before? What should I be aware of. What will help with withdrawals. I have a Med cabinet full of medications that I?m willing to take if it will help.

I have never ever heard of someone jumping from methadone to suboxone like this before. Especially at this dose. Please share your experiences. Thank you.

Jumps from methadone to buprenorphine like that aren't very uncommon. It's generally recommended to transition people off methadone using Subutex (only buprenorphine) and not Subuxone (buprenorphine+naloxone), but that's not the biggest issue with what you may be doing.

Would you share a bit more about taking methadone?

1. What was your habit like before starting methadone?
  2. How long have you been taking methadone?
  3. What was the highest dose you went up to and what (if any) taper have you been doing?
  4. Has constipation only been an issue recently?
  5. Have you tried anything else to deal with the constipation?

6. The most important question: Do you want to get off methadone right now?

As a general rule constipation would have to be really severe to necessitate a quick transition off the medication. Generally it can be managed with fiber, diet, in some cases medication (yes there is a medication specifically prescribed for opioid induced constipation) and by lowering you dose of methadone.

Unless you're really motivated to get off methadone NOW, or there is serious concerns about your GI system/bowls, I'm not sure rushing to get off methadone is the best idea.

That said, if you are highly motivated to get off and have a plan for how you'll manage with things post methadone, go for it! ~30mg of methadone should be fairly manageable with standard comfort medication (buprenorphine, diazepam, gabapentin, clonidine and a non-habit forming sleeping pill).

What are your plans post methadone? I spent about two years preparing for getting off methadone prior to making the jump and it made things so, so much more manageable. I did taper to a lower dose than you, but unless you've only recently tapered down to your current dose you shouldn't be in for too much discomfort. With the right comfort meds, the two weeks or so of acute withdrawal should be pretty manageable.

It may be a good idea to consider using Suboxone/buprenorphine for an extended period of time while you get oriented with not taking methadone. An extended detox of six months on buprenorphine (most of that is spent tapering the buprenorphine) is generally recommended for long term methadone patients, and is becoming more common with people coming off methadone more generally (and from what folks can tell it seems to do nothing but increase long term success rates).

Why would he cancel your doses for two days before starting the subs? Maybe there is a medical reason for this but surely he could have communicated that if there is. Did he offer anything for WDs?

The issue is precisely a medical one. Buprenorphine is a opioid partial agonist. That mean's it acts in various ways as both an agonist and an antagonist. Other opioid agonists (not partial, but full agonists) are drugs like heroin, morphine, oxycodone and codeine - e.g. traditional opioids of use. Opioids like naltrexone and naloxone, which can block the effects of opioid agonists and reverse opioid overdose respectively, are full antagonists.

Methadone is a powerful opioid agonist. It has a long half life. Maintenance use saturates the body's opioid receptors. Buprenorphine is an effective medication used to manage the acute withdrawal of opioid agonists, however as a partial agonist it has the potential to interact with any full agonist opioids attached to opioid receptors. Administering buprenorphine prior to full agonists leaving the system results in an extremely uncomfortable phenomena called "precipitated withdrawal." Acute withdrawal to the Nth power.

The issue with using buprenorphine to detox someone coming off methadone is that methadone has a long ass half life. It takes about five days for methadone to fully leave someone's system who has been using it long term. For most people the majority of the methadone will be out of one's system by the 48-72hr point, but it depends on specifics. If buprenorphine is administered prior to the methadone leaving one's system precipitated withdrawal results (the more the methadone in one's system at the time of administering buprenorphine, the nastier the precipitated withdrawal will be).

The minimum wait time between discontinuing methadone and starting buprenorphine is 2-3 days. In some cases it requires 5-7 days before it's safe to induce on buprenorphine. Those 2-7 days of withdrawal can be comfortably managed with non-opioid comfort meds. It's also safe to use a short acting opioid like codeine or tramadol to manage the early acute withdrawal before getting onto buprenorphine for the rest of the detox, just as long as one waits 24hrs between the last dose of short acting full agonist opioid and starting buprenorphine (again, the issue of precipitated withdrawal, though it's less an issue with shorting acting opioids in terms of the time required to safely induce).

Precipitated WDs aren?t nice thing to see and I hope I?ll never experience those myself.

When I was detoxing few weeks ago one fellow patient was switching from methadone to bupe and he had waited two days and I still remember how he ran into toilet soon after he had got his first buprenorphine dose and spend an hour there with a nurse while cursing like a sailor.

When he emerged from the toilet you could just tick all the options in a COWS sheet while looking at him.

Someone please tell me how to post a new thread. I'm a green lighter and I have so much to offer on the topic of suboxone/zubsolve.

Someone please tell me how to post a new thread. I'm a green lighter and I have so much to offer on the topic of suboxone/zubsolve.

There is a "New Thread" button on the top and bottom of the forum page on the left. I forget where it is if you're on the mobile site.

Try creating a new thread here, then posting whatever you want to post in the appropriate forum (for the topic you mention it's probably Other Drugs or Sober Living): http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/126-Testing-Grounds

If you have questions on using the site you can always post here: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/forums/111-Site-Technical-Help