• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Frequent MDMA=Serotonin Syndrome?

well, I'm going to stop now, but not worry to much. stress is a killer. I honestly feel completely fine, except for the still lingering hangover from tuesday.
i've honestly done more drugs than the average person uses in a lifetime. Seriously, probably 2-3 heavy users lifetimes.
i'm completely fine though and feel healthy and great, so don't worry bout it.

Last edited:
motiv311 said:
I would say that doing Ketamine and Ecstacy twice a week for nearly two months is an incredibally stupid stupid stupid thing to do. So very stupid, that if I were you I would just slap myself in the face a few times right now.

I used to do whippits every weekend...... and I feel I've fucked myself to some degree.

But what you've done is reprehensible. You should just stop now, and start worrying about regenerating some health!

yeah.......I'm sure a lot of people have done this, or more hardcore things more often man. I mean.....to slap myself in the face is silly. I chose to do those things, enjoyed them, and feel fine about it now. I'm not all retarded or unhealthy. I look healthy as fuck. Chicks check me out L R and C. I consider myself very smart as well, my vocabulary and writing/language skills are pretty good, I'm a talented engineer, musician and producer........

"start worrying about regenerating some health"........worry....about regenerating health, hey? you probably worry a lot, and you're proably not that healthy. correct me if I'm mistaken. worrying is the root cause of ALL unhealthiness.

I take care of myself, eat well and excercise a lot (I'm also a roofer). I should have never posted this thread, really. The amount of excess anxiety you all have caused me is more damaging than the drugs I do!

But thanks for the responses anyways, they are taken into consideration.

SILENT

andrewvolcom said:
i have done some very brief research with all the reports and "biased" media. and my conclusion is simply this..... while no drug is 100% safe when used consistiantly over a period of time, there has not been any concluded reports dealing with MDMA and the human brain.

Wrong, there have been hundreds. The main problem is that most of them didn't control for cannabis use, so it's possible that the memory problems observed in ecstasy users were really caused by cannabis.

Also, this thread specifically asked about serotonin syndrome. Please try to keep on topic.

To the OP: I very much doubt you will get serotonin syndrome from MDMA usage alone. However, as others have said, using MDMA twice a week is going to have other negative consequences for you.

yeah...like a shitty feeling for a week after. possible lots of dead brain cells......
I consider booze to be just as bad when drinking to get shitfaced.....

That, plus long-term depression/anxiety, memory problems, etc.

You're right, abuse of alcohol is just as bad (probably a lot worse), but MDMA is not some benign drug that you can use constantly with no ill effects. I realise you're not going to listen to me, because when I was you I didn't listen to anyone either, but I still have to try and warn you :)

I think we just need to clarify something up: serotonin syndrome is an ACUTE effect of combining too many serotonergic drugs (though rarely it can be caused by a single drug alone).

"The symptoms of the serotonin syndrome are: euphoria, drowsiness, sustained rapid eye movement, overreaction of the reflexes, rapid muscle contraction and relaxation in the ankle causing abnormal movements of the foot, clumsiness, restlessness, feeling drunk and dizzy, muscle contraction and relaxation in the jaw, sweating, intoxication, muscle twitching, rigidity, high body temperature, mental status changes were frequent (including confusion and hypomania - a "happy drunk" state), shivering, diarrhea, loss of consciousness and death. (The Serotonin Syndrome, AM J PSYCHIATRY, June 1991)

Serotonin syndrome is not only highly unpleasant, it can also be lethal! SEROTONIN SYNDROME IS A MEDICAL EMERGENCY THAT REQUIRES HOSPITAL TREATMENT IMMEDIATELY. If you get it seriously, your chances of survival outside a hospital are pretty slim.

Just because you have done lots of pills in the past doesn't mean you'll get it the next time you take pills. It depends what you take ON THAT OCCASION.

youre right. i'm at a point now of stopping.

I don't, however, believe that e has permanently done damage to me. I have had hardcore anxiety, but it is going away! my head feels fucked up for about 1 week after doing e, but then I seem to recover fully, fell excellent, have a great life etc.

I do know it can cause a crushing depression, which I only feel on days after doing it. if I stop for a week of 2 I feel great again!

thanks for all the responses, and yes, I do listen to all of them. its a pretty gross drug really, and i'm in no way standing up for recless abuse of it. I just seem to have gotten by with less ill effects than expected.

there are no stimulants that don't HURT YOU, I believe. Every drug has some negative effect when abused, so yeah. there we go.

D.A.R.E. to resist!!!

if I stop now, arent the changes done by mdma to my system reversable after a year off it?
thats what I heard.

^
I don't think anyone has any hard and fast answers. I'm aware of research from a few years ago that suggested that people who had been abstinent from MDMA for a year still performed worse on cognitive/memory tests than people who had never used it. I'm not aware of any research that took a longer term view (but I haven't looked recently).

My own experience was that my mental processes were back to normal within 8-12 months, I think (possibly, my short-term memory is still worse than it was - it's hard to tell, but it doesn't feel obviously impaired). My cognitive reasoning skills are still high, and my ability to learn new concepts is also still good. I went through a fairly long period of depression, but I was pretty definitely depressed before I started using ecstasy. Someone who wasn't initially depressed would surely recover more quickly.

Just my experience, your mileage may vary.

andrewvolcom said:
i have done some very brief research with all the reports and "biased" media. and my conclusion is simply this..... while no drug is 100% safe when used consistiantly over a period of time, there has not been any concluded reports dealing with MDMA and the human brain. All the reports were done on lab rats and i dont remember the statistics but the leathal dosage for the rat i belive was 50 mg pure MDMA given to them 10 times a day and the rat died on the third day. now take a rats brain mass and volume and multiply that to equal a humans brian.......... and other thing i remember watching on CNN was that there was a test done on monkeys and after the monkey died the doctor said he made a mistake and was using meth..... lol. so based on this i think fuck it.... we are all goign to die soon. and i dont roll that much anyways 1-2 everyother month. but non the less there isnt any finished reports. but if ur doing it like 2-3 times weekly every week that sucks for u....1. gonna loose the magic.... 2 again no completed reports so possibly u might develope it.

this quote kind of made me a little paranoid, but I realise now that this guy doesn't really know what's up.....I don't think we're all going to die soon. It's a drug like any other drug, yes you can OD on it and die, or get a bad pill, whatever. But we're not just going to suddenly drop dead. if I stop using now I should completely recover.

One thing I do notice is that Im way more in touch with my body and health now that ive been taking MDMA. I used to treat my body like trash. Now I take 5 htp and juice. Never did before but its good I suppose.

PS im rolling as I type this so.... Yes

anytime you use x you increase the amount of seratonin used in the brain. Seratonin is slowly produced in the brain taking up to two weeks to replinish what was used. Using x so many times is a month is a stupid idea. The continuous use of x that often could cause depression. If you wanna know exactly how MDMA effects the brain and what it does go to this website and watch the slide show. It goes in depth and explains it in a way that most anyone could understand. http://www.dancesafe.org/slideshow/index.html

silentscience said:
yeah.......I'm sure a lot of people have done this, or more hardcore things more often man. I mean.....to slap myself in the face is silly. I chose to do those things, enjoyed them, and feel fine about it now. I'm not all retarded or unhealthy. I look healthy as fuck. Chicks check me out L R and C. I consider myself very smart as well, my vocabulary and writing/language skills are pretty good, I'm a talented engineer, musician and producer........

"start worrying about regenerating some health"........worry....about regenerating health, hey? you probably worry a lot, and you're proably not that healthy. correct me if I'm mistaken. worrying is the root cause of ALL unhealthiness.

I take care of myself, eat well and excercise a lot (I'm also a roofer). I should have never posted this thread, really. The amount of excess anxiety you all have caused me is more damaging than the drugs I do!

But thanks for the responses anyways, they are taken into consideration.

SILENT

Ha, you should worrry. you just did two very hardcore drugs twice a week for months at a time. Did you ever consider the consequence of your actions? Maybe you didnt WORRY enough about it!

hrmmm......
why would I worry when its already in the past though? i'm sure I can recover completely from it in not that long of a time! I mean, doing e & k 2wice a week for a couple months is'nt really that bad. some people do e everyday, or k everyday, or coke or meth or heroin or pharms.,..
why are you trying to cause guilt and stress in me?

motiv311 said:
Ha, you should worrry. you just did two very hardcore drugs twice a week for months at a time. Did you ever consider the consequence of your actions? Maybe you didnt WORRY enough about it!

sorry, I still can't get over this.

motiv311 said:

lol talk about saying 'i told you so'!!

obviously the original poster IS concerned otherwise why would they bother posting in this forum to find out more info about it?? Also they have stopped that rate of usage that was of concern so I think they now have come to realise the consequences of it all. lol totally unhelpful comments....