• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

For people trying to quit smoking pot.

hh95

Bluelighter
Hey guys,
Well since I was 13 I have smoked weed up until 6 months ago when I quit when I was nearly 19. So I was smoking weed for just under 6 years almost daily. I quiet enjoyed this lifestyle until it started to ruin my job/career prospects. So I decided to stop... I was confident all along I could go with out right since the day dot. turns out its not as easy as that. I found I needed to get rid of those friends that the only reason yous are friends is because you smoke weed together... no actual friendship is there. With them gone, it was easier but still quiet difficult. You see I don't like to think of weed as an addiction, its more like a rut that is hard to get out of. I found you need to remove yourself from the "Scene" Lose touch with the bad influences, dealers and scabby stoner friends. The fact of the matter is once you remove yourself from the "Scene" it is very very easy and after 1 week bong free guaranteed you will be thinking a lot clearer and smarter (particularly if you were a heavy smoker). For me I moved towns to stop but that's what it took. Now I only ever smoke weed now when I visit my sister in my old town because its the only place I can get on. I now smoke once every few months and I enjoy it ALOT more when its like that. I guess im trying to say it isn't as hard as people think and you do start to think clearer.

Just thought I would share this because I know how hard it is for some people to stop smoking weed and just thought I would put my 2c in how I managed to stop smoking. Hope this helps someone :)

Yes, but you still smoke pot occasionally.

I think the hardest quest for mankind is probably sobering up forever after 1 use of any drug.
It's just so tempting. Quitting every drug forever and living a sober life is impossible for me. There are always time periods when I abstain, but sooner or later the drugs will catch up on me again. It just feels so damn good, why should you abstain from it once and for all?

It just feels so damn good, why should you abstain from it once and for all?

Because society says drugz are bad, mkaaaaaaaaaaay

Seriously though, I completely agree with this. If you can implement certain substances in your life, taking care to choose the right ones so as to limit or eliminate the negative sides, why shouldn't you? It's society that dictates this train of thought, we are programmed to think that anything not legally obtainable must be bad for you and anything legally obtainable can't be all that harmful. I don't see the point of being "straight edge" if you do not gain anything from this while using certain drugs (!responsibly!) can certainly add something to your life. The trick is never let your life revolve around drugs. They can however be the cherry on an already delicious cake...

More on topic: Yeah that's the consensus when quitting weed that you should refrain from coming into contact with triggers (friends that smoke, headshops,....). It's not that easy to quit for some, because as has been said before some drugs have more allure for some people than for others. For me it's very difficult to quit because it goes with my personality beautifully but most importantly because I use it as a tool first (to curb my ADHD, it really is a godsend, I can concentrate better when high, I am generally more active, I am more focused,...) and only secondly I use it recreationally. This makes it very difficult to quit for me, I lose all those advantages and the only disadvantage for me is financial at the moment...

Last edited:
First of all I like how you're a South Park fan hahaha and yeh I'm just sharing what I found because I know a lot of my friends are struggling to stop smoking weed to get a decent job

Good for you for being able to take control of it like that. As long as it doesn't get in the way of other areas of your life, your choices on how to live your life are really all that matter. There is nothing wrong with responsible recreational use - just don't get caught ;)

You're doing it right, by mostly avoiding people, places and thing that can be triggers. It's also easier to control it's use when you got other things going on like music, the gym, or whatever it is you like to do.

good for you. i luv the herb so so much but i am on day 9 of no puff'n. I still cant sleep but I have never been able to sleep (even before puff'n ganja). I honestly have been feeling quite psychotic lately but I keep holding on (by a thread). I don't mind not sleeping or the crazy dreams but I have felt so so angry lately. Everything just pisses me off. Hopefully you do not have these symptoms as bad as I do but stay strong. I'll try to check in again in a few more days. Everyday should get better but the rage has not gone away. Best of luck

good for you. i luv the herb so so much but i am on day 9 of no puff'n. I still cant sleep but I have never been able to sleep (even before puff'n ganja). I honestly have been feeling quite psychotic lately but I keep holding on (by a thread). I don't mind not sleeping or the crazy dreams but I have felt so so angry lately. Everything just pisses me off. Hopefully you do not have these symptoms as bad as I do but stay strong. I'll try to check in again in a few more days. Everyday should get better but the rage has not gone away. Best of luck

Interesting how you note feeling psychotic as a withdrawal symptom of pot. It's probably just irritability because you're used to just feeling chilled out all the time. When I detoxed from Kratom and Oxycodone together... THAT was psychosis. If someone moved their hand in a way that annoyed me for example, I wanted to punch a hole in the hole just because their movement pissed me off. So just keep in mind, it can always be worse. Be thankful, stay strong and KNOW that it's just no big deal. Just occupy yourself with outlets and you'll be fine.

You know the real way to quit is to get out of he enviornment i completely agree with that. Quitting is difficult, but once you get over that first one two week hump, its quite easy to abstain you do't really seem to think about it too much but i guess it depends on the person. if you have just became dependant on weed in sure its different.

Yeh I agree with the above poster. two week hump and it all gets a lot easier. And I can vouch for the "Psychotic" feeling. I don't doubt that detoxing off opiates or meth for that matter would really suck but getting off weed for me anyway did bring on a anxious/angry sortve feeling and i seem to think its pretty common as i see a lot of my mates go through the same thing. I just think psychotic is the wrong word... Its more like being on an anti depressant and suddenly ceasing use of it and the rebound depression/anxiety comes back. And lets face it, most people use weed as an anti-depressant/anxiolytic.

If I was ever going to quit, I would have to move. My chronic sticks to the place where I live and it's almost unchangeable. It's just the people I come in contact with in this area, and the overall mentality is enough to drive me insane. That's why it's important to get out once-in-awhile and try new things, otherwise I would become part of a mindless rut.

hh how is the no puff'n going? its been about 3 and a half weeks for me and I am starting to feel much better. My music making has not been all that great lately which sucks but other than that I can't complain. My brain synapses are still re-wiring (I would like to think) but I think I am getting close to full repair. I have been taking multi vitamin's, fish oils, and extra vitamin d and e almost on the daily and avoiding alcohol and other substances. I have a theory (that is probably not true but maybe is slightly) that for every year of ganja puff'n it will take about a week of no puff'n for brain recovery. I've puff'd for maybe 6 years so that leaves me with a few more weeks. I will puff again soon but I wanted to test myself and stop. If and when I do it again I am going to keep it to minimal puff'n. My wallet is happy! Stay strong brudda

Stopped partaking only because I was unemployed and didn't want to miss out on a good job because of a dirty drug screen. But it did cause other problem because the whole scoring and maintaining a high ritual took a up a lot of my time (I realized this after quiting). I absolutely love having more time for my family now.

For me, boredom was the hardest thing to overcome. But staying busy and focusing on the needs of my family rather than myself helps out immensely.

Also my son is now 13 and I realize this I'd my last chance to be a really good role model for him.

I know a lot of this doesn't apply to the OP, but these are the things that help me abstain for now.

Plus there are a lot of fine women for whom weed is a deal breaker. A lot less female potheads are going to shun a man simple because he doesn't partake in cannabis....just means more weed for her.