View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First time shroom user's mistake- Questions raised

tigershark60

Greenlighter
Hey everyone, I'm pretty new to the site and this is my first posting. Anyway I had my first shroom trip a few months ago (also my first experience with psychedelics).

I took them up with some friends at a cabin. We had no cell service and only could contact the outside world with the landline at the cabin. We had 6 people there but only 4 of us were suppose to be shrooming but after us four started tripping we ended up giving shrooms to the other 2 people and they tripped also. We bought an 1/8 of shrooms for each of us but didnt think we would all end up doing all that we had brought. Only one of us had done shrooms before so we were kind of blindly following our friend. He said no problem for us to all start with that much (1/8) but we decided to start with two grams. He started with three. So I ate those 2 grams and about an hour went by and everyone was feeling them but me. So I chose to take more, so i went in an ate about another 1.5 grams. About 20 minutes after this it started hitting me hard. Now for a few hours I was having the time of my life. But then things took a dark turn and I was plunged into a hellish experience that I still feel scarred and different from. I am thinking about posting a trip report but I dont know yet. But my questions are, what do you think I did wrong? Was it the setting? Or did i just take too much? Is there any tips on helping get over the mental fear that the bad trip caused? Also i want to try and give them another shot but I am on an SSRI now and have heard shrooms wont do anything on my medication. Any thoughts on that to?

Thanks for reading and I hope you guys can help answer some of my questions I have been struggling with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shrooms aren't for everyone.
I think that redose might've done u in. You should've just smoked some weed and the 2grams would've kicked in. How was setting? Weren't they ur friends? Was the experienced dude being a dick or something?
I don't think u did anything wrong really. Shrooms have always been hit or miss for me, sometimes I bug out and sometimes I chill.
Tripping with any mental illness isn't a good idea for most people, I stopped sh rooming for this reason, it's just way to dark for me now.
Write up a trip report bro! Those are always fun to read, especially from a first timer :)

Maybe you just need help figuring out what you can learn from the negative part of your experience? Definitely post your trip report and maybe someone can help you understand what went wrong. Maybe nothing went wrong and there is a reason you needed to go to a dark place for a while.

Sounds like you just overdid it a bit and unfortunately didn't have the experience to keep negative thoughts at bay. Quite a common mistake unfortunately but you'll know for next time. The answer to "I'm not feeling it shall i take some more?" is always low unless you have taken a very low dose. Personally I encourage people to never redose because it makes things unpredictable and at least they know for next time what does doesn't work if it never kicks in.

The setting was good it felt like until a few of the people threw up and it definitely felt more stressed. And ya they were my friends so they werent being mean I just wonder if maybe it was too big of group for me to shroom around. No the experienced dude wasnt being a dick, but he just kinda started tripping and after that was not really any help. And I do think maybe my anxiety/depression could have taken over and just plunged me into that dark place. Though what you said shimmerchasm is interesting that maybe I am suppose to learn from that scary place they took me? What do you mean by that?

Yeah I think you tried tripping for your first time in a setting that maybe was not ideal: 6 people is quite a 'party' and I imagine it can be very much like a vacation where you are 100% confronted with each other and yourselves.
There are plenty of ways how that scenario could unfold as something quite anxious, if you would be so kind to share more details we could analyze the dynamics of it...

Would have been better if there had been more guidance, or if the guidance had been more experienced or wise about the approach. Psychedelics prove to be an unpredictable litmus test on the mind, and I guess all of you underwent that trial.

An 1/8 is considered pretty standard but actually it can be quite a hefty dose. These are products of nature so you'll never really know about the potency unless you go about it like a pro, and measure analytically.

Yeah I think you tried tripping for your first time in a setting that maybe was not ideal: 6 people is quite a 'party' and I imagine it can be very much like a vacation where you are 100% confronted with each other and yourselves.
There are plenty of ways how that scenario could unfold as something quite anxious, if you would be so kind to share more details we could analyze the dynamics of it...

Would have been better if there had been more guidance, or if the guidance had been more experienced or wise about the approach. Psychedelics prove to be an unpredictable litmus test on the mind, and I guess all of you underwent that trial.

An 1/8 is considered pretty standard but actually it can be quite a hefty dose. These are products of nature so you'll never really know about the potency unless you go about it like a pro, and measure analytically.

The dynamics of it was there were 3 guys and 3 girls. Each guys was either in a relationship or in a fling with one of the girls (not sure if that matters but figured I should add it). My girlfriend was also there and she only ate about 2 grams and ended up puking and having a lot more minor of a trip. Also I was tripping out of my mind and definitely loosing my grip on what was reality but I still didnt feel like I was in that bad of a place until I found out another one of my friends had thrown up, making it three people who took them ending up throwing up. I know that throwing up can be common with shrooms but in my mind state at the time I had forgot this so I think it also freaked me out thinking we had eaten bad shrooms ( from what I hear a common fear that arises during a bad trip). I just want to try them again because for a couple hours I was having one of the most beautiful, incredible, and fun experiences of my life. Unfortunately it all went south after that and then I started peaking while tripping badly so it added to the chaos.

Yeah too big a group for your first time maybe. I like to only be around my very best friend or two, or family. I'm talkin ride or die friends u know? Someone that is willing to take a bullet for u(just an example).
I know my depression comes through on shrooms bigggg time and leads to insane anxiety. Last time I just got in my bed and put the covers over my head for the last 6hrs of the trip, it just felt like the thing to do at the time lol. I've had awesome shroom trips when I was younger though so idk. Depression got worse over the years for me though so that's why I bring that up.
Once your buddies started barfing that's when they really started to trip balls lol. I never barfed and no one I ever shroomed with has barfed either so idk if that's a regular thing or not. Take it slow if u try again though, maybe have a Xanax or other benzo on hand in case you have a bad time again, thatll mute the effects of the shrooms a little bit...

..and even then it's hard to know because I think that even within the same batch, some mushrooms contain more psilocybin than others, esp if they were wild harvested. I could be wrong about that, but I think you'd have to powder a big batch of mushrooms and mix them into a homogenous blend to be able to titrate reliably.

I never weigh mushrooms, but I always chew them up and gum/suck on them as I go. I've done them enough times that it's possible to know what I'm getting into into from the taste. The part about not weighing is a bad idea and not harm reduction, but if you can handle the taste I think it's worth experiencing it for that reason.

Shrooms aren't for everyone.
I think that redose might've done u in. You should've just smoked some weed and the 2grams would've kicked in. How was setting? Weren't they ur friends? Was the experienced dude being a dick or something?
I don't think u did anything wrong really. Shrooms have always been hit or miss for me, sometimes I bug out and sometimes I chill.
Tripping with any mental illness isn't a good idea for most people, I stopped sh rooming for this reason, it's just way to dark for me now.
Write up a trip report bro! Those are always fun to read, especially from a first timer :)

Your right cliffy when you smoke weed it seems to make the shrooms kick in once you finish smoking i was just talking about this with my buddy at work today actually.

I always did shrooms with mdma never alone because the first time i ever did shrooms i also tried MDMA and cocaine in the same night and i really liked the MDMA with the shrooms (i could've done without the coke). I found the MDMA makes the shrooms feel nice and ive never had even a slight bad trip doing it like this, the M makes me feel too happy to trip badly. I used to eat around a half ounce of shrooms then take 3-4 caps of MDMA and be feeling nice i used to love it and if my body wasnt so damaged i would still do it. I recommend about an 8th of shrooms i was a crazy kid to do a half ounce i worked my way up over time to that amount.

I was never sure how or why 1/8 became the 'standard' dose. Especially for an organic substance that can vary in potency. fresh or dry? or somewhere inbetween..... NOTHING scientific there IMO and then you have the type?

at any rate. opening post..... I think you simply overdid it. take a long break from drugs...... at least one month, heal your mind and body without pharmacological drugs.... seek out meditation and Eastern herbs to calm and heal.

THen go back and take 2 grams again, possibly just you and one other trusted person. Don't smoke weed.

Comforters (you know, big ol' blankets) are a must for tripping in my book, they make me feel much safer and like I'm in a cocoon of protection. They certainly help ground me. I second the opinion that you should do it with just one or two close friends.
Also, when people first trip they feel a need to go somewhere exotic or away from home because that's what people do in movies/literature; I do not suggest this. I only trip in homes that I feel comfortable in, indoors where I can take a shit or reach anyone on my phone if needed. Occasionally I do trip in more odd locations, and it can be fun, but I only started venturing out once I had lots more experience with psychs.

Another note, some people are just pukers with psychs/drugs in general. So all your friends puked? No biggie. If you've got an iron stomach, you'll not puke. I've seen people puke on plenty of psychs, but not once has it even bothered me/made me nauseous. I usually find it quite comical, I know puking sucks, but the sounds people make... hahahah.

Last edited:
Your right cliffy when you smoke weed it seems to make the shrooms kick in once you finish smoking i was just talking about this with my buddy at work today actually.

I always did shrooms with mdma never alone because the first time i ever did shrooms i also tried MDMA and cocaine in the same night and i really liked the MDMA with the shrooms (i could've done without the coke). I found the MDMA makes the shrooms feel nice and ive never had even a slight bad trip doing it like this, the M makes me feel too happy to trip badly. I used to eat around a half ounce of shrooms then take 3-4 caps of MDMA and be feeling nice i used to love it and if my body wasnt so damaged i would still do it. I recommend about an 8th of shrooms i was a crazy kid to do a half ounce i worked my way up over time to that amount.
big train what's up bro! Goddamn dude a half oz??? And e, and soft?!?!? Holy shit dude!!! Haaaaa! Wow man you must've been in the stratosphere. Wow dude you should write a trip report on that night.
The e would even out the shrooms nicely it seems. I would love to try that someday, what a time that must've been. Wow dude u got me jonesin for that combo now train lol. I never even considered that combo. I wish I would've thought of that when I was younger and still had connects for all that stuff. Watch, now I'm gonna have a drug dream about that combo tonight lol... And some weed of course... And a few blueberries just to look at, lol. Always gotta have some oxy somewhere, even if I'm just looking at it and not taking it lol. I think I have a problem... Haaaaaaa!!

OP; in my opinion you had a bit too much for your first time. I tried 0.67g my first time, and slowly worked my way up. The first time was unpleasant; I wanted it to be over. Waited a few weeks and the tried 1g and so on.

You'll find your sweet spot if you keep trying mushrooms. Wait a month or so and then try 2g (no redosing_ and see how that goes). Every month, give or take, increase 0.5-1.0g.

Good luck

Tom

A shroom trip has different phases. The early phases aren't too bad but the later phases can be pretty rough, where you can have a lot of confusion and frightening effects. It's weird that you didn't feel anything after an hour though. Maybe you had a lot of food in your system that slowed it down, I don't know. I don't know why people would think they need 3.5 grams. I got pretty high off one. Two would actually be quite strong. That was Liberty Caps though. I don't know about Cubensis.

always go 1.6-2gs for first time shroom trip. a full 1/8th is more than enough for an experienced shroomer

I know set and setting and all that, but I feel like it's really hard to have a BAD time on mushrooms if you dose it right lol

Bad trips always start with a single negative thought. "Oh shit I've taken too much" "I've taken bad shrooms and might've poisoned myself" "am I losing my mind?" "Am I gonna die?" and so on and so on. It's very easy on psychedelics to start out with a thought and hop on to the next one that is related to the first one. The more you allow yourself to chase your negative thoughts the closer you get to getting stuck in a "negative thought loop". It's not always as easy to get out of these but it is possible! The trick I find that helps me the most is not to try and think positive to cancel out the negative thoughts/feelings but rather think extremely neutral/boring thoughts. If you are at home walk to the bathroom and say to yourself what you can see "this is the bath tub. This is the toilet. When I push this button the toilet flushes. That's the sink, I can turn the water on- and off. There's the door." and simply distract yourself by thinking boring, unemotional thoughts. This should quite quickly calm you down. Once you are calm again you try and think of something fun, or stare at a wall and wait for the visuals to start doing their thing.

With experience you'll learn to recognize when you are having bad thoughts, the trick is to then quickly distract yourself and push your mind into a different direction. Ie. If the music is bothering you, switch it off and go sit in another room. Sometimes, switching on the music can help distract you a bit. Sometimes simply telling your friend you're feeling a bit anxious will be enough to completely remove the anxiety!

There's endless possibilities on how you can get out of those tricky situations when tripping. Key is to identify negative thoughts quick and distract yourself as it will be much easier to steer the trip then, than when you've allowed yourself to get stuck in a loop!

yeah that is good advice. you just have to lose all touch with reality really. just let it run its course and trust you will be just fine. that is why the set and setting and all that definitely matter considering all psychadelics are usually more or less unpredictable in how they will play out so its more about just having the ability to let things run their course and not have to worry about if you seem out of your mind