View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

First Time Doing DXM

ImAShark

Greenlighter
Hi, I am going to be trying DXM tomorrow. I was told that I should buy a medicine that only DXM and only DXM as the active ingredients in it. Are medications containing only DXM easy to find in stores, or will it take a bit of hunting around? And as far as the actual experience goes, I want to reach 3rd plateau and thus am going to dose at around 450mg. I'm 5'9'', 130-ish pounds, and 19 years old. I am not totally sure what to expect from the DXM, so how exactly does it feel on 3rd plateau, and what does a bad "trip" (for lack of a better word) feel like? Also I am going to be doing it alone, although I live in a college dorm and will be around other people. Will they be able to notice that I am disassociated? Also can I have "flashbacks" to my childhood from 3rd plateau? This is what I am most excited about. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is simple to find the DXM only products. Any pharmacy will have. You may want to start off a little lower, to feel it out. If around people, they probably will notice something. Always messes with my speech and walk in good doses.

I'll have more to add when I'm not on my phone, but something to be prepared for is that just because a dxm product doesn't contain any other active ingredients such as guafinesin or cpm, doesn't mean that nausea won't occur. among people i know, it's a common misconception that dxm-only robotussin syrup and gelcaps won't make you sick. i had a few dxm experiences years back but they were with coricidin pills and as you probably know that's dangerous. recently i tried again using the 3mg/ml robotussin syrup with nothing else in it, and one bottle (118ml) had me feeling wonderful with no nausea. it was a pretty good dissociative experience. my girlfriend did the same with me and was so nauseous she was crying with her head in the toilet for 5 hours. the next time i used dxm since then, with the same syrup, the nausea was agonizing and i couldn't throw up. it's different for everyone, probably depends on diet, your overall health, any other drugs/medications you're on. i was coming down from taking vyvanse and i hadn't eaten and maybe that was the problem.

edit: Try to make sure to stay in one place alone, and if anyone is going to see you, make it be someone who knows you're tripping because it will be very obvious and your movements/mannerisms will creep them out. I just do it in my room alone or with my girlfriend with only a dim lamp and my computer on. My favorite thing to do on DXM that I recommend is to sit in bed, grab my laptop and speakers/headphones, and just listen to music with the lights dimmed/off. Personal taste, but when the DXM comes on, I'd say you should listen to some shoegaze music. MXE/DXM and Slowdive really go hand in hand. Or any music that you'd prefer, I could never describe how epic, dreamy, euphoric, and intensified music is on a good trip.
I'm 19 as well and dissociatives always seem to take me to areas of my brain, memories, ways of perceiving things, etc. from when I was younger. I always end up at this singularity, like a grand realization about my life currently, based on the memories DXM takes me to that I've forgotten for a long time. What might surprise you, though, will be the memories you're taken to that have been buried deep in your head but that are more recent. If your intention is to revisit childhood memories that are kind of blurred and hard to remember now, I think it'll happen. It's like at really high DXM doses, during the introspective part of the trip, you're navigating and exploring inside your own brain and nowhere is off-limits. There's also, for me, a part of the trip where I'm not hallucinating but I'm vividly imagining places in my mind almost as if I were seeing them. Not sure if it's just subjective to me or if it's a common thing, but I envision smoothly and slowly flying over strange landscapes that are animated in a shitty 80s-90s kind of way, basically like a vaporwave video. Something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3L3...RDcwi_JnkMuU fZH9VbgAS&feature=share&index=84
During most of my dissociative experiences, I've had a short, ~30 minute period that's like a "bad trip" i guess, but it's not that bad. I look forward to it. It's like your view of everything suddenly becomes darker, people's lives and the world just seem scary and confusing. I thought my friend who was texting me had developed schizophrenia. It's probably how a baby would see the world if they were exposed to the complete reality that you start to see when you become an adult. That part of the trip is always where I come out having made some epic realization. Don't worry, if you're doing this prepared in an appropriate setting, you'll be in good hands.

If you don't enjoy the trip, try finding some MXE. I've had a couple of incredible times with it and never gotten sick or anything. I prefer it over DXM.

Last edited:
man don't take 450mgs your first time with no experience with dissos. it may well be the most mindblowing experience but I think your first time you should aim more for a high 1st - mid 2nd plateau.
and yes, they will notice trust me on this one. even on medium-ish doses (300-400 mgs) i become red as hell, itchy and hot (usually only during the peak altought it doesn't happen everytime, the itches and the hot flashes can be somewhat pleasurable tho) and you can easily tell i'm fucked up by looking at my face (dilated pupils, stupid grin) and my behavior.

so yeah, either get some ketamine (lasts less so you can be more comfortable with higher doses) or drink like 200-300 mgs. if your dead set on 450, well that maybe overwhelming for a dissociatives naive or as i said above it could be the best experience of your life, or just pleasurable. 400 mgs usually is enough for me to provide a very pleasurable body high with little to no mindfuck so it's really really enjoyable but before going for higher doses I made sure I tried lower dosages too.

oh and for the sake of HR, try like 50 mgs first, some people lack an enzime that metabolizes DXM or something like that, so they end up having strong trips with little material. (it's rare but it's a real possibility, a friend of mine has had an OOBE with 50 mgs or less + 5f akb48, and he trips stronger than me with just like 1/10 of my dosage)

btw do you have experience with other drugs? this is a very important info for us to give you and educated advice

is 450mg enough to reach 3rd plateau, I thought it took at least 600. for the first time you should take about 300 or so anything more is trouble and will most likely be pretty unpleasant

Thanks guys, I've decided to reduce my dose to 250mg. And I actually did drink Robitussin once before with DXM in it, but it had other active ingredients too so I wasn't sure if that counted. I drank a decent amount and barely felt anything, so I don't think that I lack that enzyme. And as far as other drugs go, I smoke weed a lot and did MDMA once. That's it. I want to try a whole variety of drugs (especially ketamine), but there's just no way for me to get them.

I bought a bottle of 4 fluid ounce "Adult Tussin" that contains just DXM, which I have calculated is 354mg of DXM (if I did my math correctly). I have decided to lower my dose to 250mg, which I think is a mid-second plateau. My questions now are how long will it take to kick in (I am going to drink it on a basically empty stomach), and if I begin to feel nauseous and throw up, will I still feel nauseous afterwards? I know that sounds stupid but I'm actually curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
About 10% of people has an enzyme deficiency that makes them very sensitive to this drug, which is one reason not to go over 300 mg for a first time. It is a smart idea anyway to 'master' lower levels before you go any higher, that is true even for drugs that don't have plateau classifications.

And good that you found a DXM-only product. You should always do that.
14.gif

I like to do 2 5oz bottles of delsym 1776mgs which puts me on a nice 3rd plateau. its very intense and i love it. i would try a 3oz bottle for your first trip...

I realize this is an old post but yeah that DXM itch is not to be taken lightly, pop a benadryl or two