• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

First Principle

Flickering

Bluelighter
This is my first principle of psychospiritual exploration, which is the means through which I approach spirituality and philosophy.

Whatever my thoughts, my beliefs and my understandings, they do not change the reality of the things I believe in.

Moreover, they are only models. They are not the reality itself.

In this sense, they don't matter. They aren't a necessary part of you.

You can shrug them off like so much baggage, if you so choose. You can accept the truth that you don't know and you have no control.

This may sound undesirable to a lot of people, especially the more intellectual types, who will tend to be drawn to a board such as this one. But you will find if you focus on it that there comes a curious sense of release. You will notice it is familiar because in it you rediscover something childlike. A lack of need to define yourself. No compulsion to try to control this life that is happening to you. The worry of it soon fades from your mind. It becomes apparent there was nothing to be anxious about in the first place.

Alan Watts calls this zen state a true kind of faith in the universe. Which is to say, if you have 'belief' in a God or in an afterlife to hold onto, that isn't faith, precisely because you're holding onto it so tight. It means you're not trusting the universe, refusing to surrender to what it's actually doing.

To the enlightened mind, he says, it's possible there's some 'continuation' of this particular journey when you die, or that there isn't. But you don't need to concern yourself too much with it. Because it isn't what you're doing now, and so it isn't important. In fact if you pry too much, you ruin it, spoil the fun. No wonder so many seekers have gone crazy on the way.

Someone in another thread (I can neither find the thread nor the person) in some big talk about the nature of reality, life after death and so on, said "When are you guys going to realise it doesn't matter?" I found this striking and the more I thought about it, the more it resonated with me as the most practical, honest answer in the midst of so much speculation.

And don't get me wrong, I do love to speculate. There's a lot you can discover simply by indulging your imagination. But I try to come back to a basic and fundamental principle that it is all just speculation. That what I truly have is nothing more or less than what is actually in front of me, right now.

As an agnostic i can agree with most of those points
im sorry but you really do sound agnostic
AGNNOOOSSTTTICCCC

speculation is totally useless as its not the present moment.
the present moment is the only thing one should be concern about.
what is the present moment? your thoughts, your body, your mood. what you are creating right now is the reality.
if you are loving, your reality is love.
theres no common reality, we all have our own different reality in our mind.

believing in god is created by a thought and is not right now true. what is real is for you to observe, not to think.

imo, allan watts is interesting but lost.
try ayya khema.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will.

I wouldn't say speculation is totally useless. Someone who never wonders at all about things they can't know, is bound to have a very constrained perspective on life. But, certainly, one can take it too far, or at least, too seriously.

I do enjoy speculating. I have plenty of hypotheses. I also accept that they don't change a damn thing, that there's no way I could possibly test them, and that they really don't matter.

Like you say, the present moment is what matters. Reality is what you make of it right here and now.

Trying 21so: yes I would identify as agnostic if anything.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will.

I wouldn't say speculation is totally useless. Someone who never wonders at all about things they can't know, is bound to have a very constrained perspective on life. But, certainly, one can take it too far, or at least, too seriously.

I do enjoy speculating. I have plenty of hypotheses. I also accept that they don't change a damn thing, that there's no way I could possibly test them, and that they really don't matter.

Like you say, the present moment is what matters. Reality is what you make of it right here and now.

Trying 21so: yes I would identify as agnostic if anything.

definitely!
you need to know what to test
its just that speculating about how others are, what they think, if their ideas are right ect is what I find a bit useless as everyone changes all the time. what Ive said a year ago is not something id repeat now :). We need to inquire about ourselves, this is where the world is.
anyways :)