• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Op-Ed First, do no harm: An argument for a radical new paradigm for treating addiction

thegreenhand

Administrator
Staff member

First, do no harm: An argument for a radical new paradigm for treating addiction​

Jennifer Ouellette
Ars Technica
26 Dec 2021

There's rarely time to write about every cool science-y story that comes our way. So this year, we're once again running a special Twelve Days of Christmas series of posts, highlighting one science story that fell through the cracks in 2020, each day from December 25 through January 5. Today: why we should replace the punitive approach of the "war on drugs" with a radical new paradigm for treating addiction.
——————————————————————
In 1986, Maia Szalavitz was a heroin addict in New York City, weighing a scant 80 pounds and shooting up as often as 40 times a day. She had just discovered the heady mixture of cocaine and heroin known as speedballs, and had no intention of quitting, even though HIV was spreading rapidly through the community thanks to the practice of sharing dirty needles. But a chance encounter in an East Village apartment likely saved her life.

Read the full story here.

Good interview, I especially recommend spending some time reading the question on addiction as a disease vs. a learning disorder

Some very good "common-sense" ideas for practical reform there, I think

I especially like this part:

There are programs where they prescribe heroin to addicts. I mean, it’s free heroin. You’d think those people would never get into recovery because they’re getting exactly what they want. The reality is, when you get free heroin and you're not chasing, chasing, chasing the next fix, and you don't have all of that drama, your life suddenly has this massive hole. That's where recovery can come in, because you actually get bored. People with especially traumatic histories might have to be on drugs for a while and learn ways of dealing with their trauma before they're capable of stopping the drugs.

It's an interesting point I think...it reminds me of "Trainspotting", when the character is talking about how addiction condenses all of life's problems and complexities into one simple mission: getting and using drugs. Once that mission is taken care of for you, though, and you're again confronted with the existential horror which is life, that actually may be even more of an impetus for change and reflection compared to "hitting bottom". It may seem counter-intuitive to someone who has never used drugs or experienced a substance use disorder, but for someone who has it actually seems quite intuitive imo

Yes much like how people will use antidepressants, anxiolytics, or antipsychotics for a while to stabilize and set their life in order with stable housing, healthy food, exercise, and friendships before tapering off

i haven't read the article but i have read Marc Lewis's anatomy of desire, which hypothesises that addiction is a learning disorder and makes a lot of sense to me as an addict (i've read books espousing other paradigms too) so from @thegreenhand's description i'd say it sounds legit.

it is definitely true that you need to find ways of dealing with trauma before you can live clean. until i had a fucking insane type of therapy my choice was either heroin, or, being raped/strangled every time i shut my eyes/a lot of the time regardless. people in that position can't be expected to just quit drugs. its like expecting someone with a massive fucking gaping wound to just quit antibiotics. they'll die if you don't help them close the wound.

also fuck me, doing speedballs 40 times a day is insane. i'm glad she lived to tell the tale, and will definitely check the article fully later.