Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters

Benefit

Bluelighter
There has never been a more perfect actor to play the part of an alien disguised as a human than David Bowie. His ghoulish, pasty face that belies a subtle charm is just right. Acting-wise, he is fantastic blowing veteran actor Rip Torn out of the water with his performance. After seeing Bowie in Labyrinth I wrote him off as an actor, but this film completely changed my opinion of Bowie the actor and Bowie the performer, entertainer and artist.

Directed by Nicolas Roeg, The Man Who Fell to Earth is based on a 1963 novel of the same name and treats the story of an alien who crash lands on Earth. Thomas Newton’s (Bowie) mission is not explicitly articulated in the film, but we are informed by a series of floating, dreamy flashbacks that he left his wife and kids on his home world which has been ravaged by a catastrophic drought, and came to Earth to either find a safe haven for his family or to bring water back. He spends much of the film greedily slurping water. To accomplish his goal, he patents 9 advanced technologies and overnight creates a huge corporate conglomerate, hoarding the money to build a space ship.

NSFW:
Newton’s plan is thwarted at the 11th hour when some kind of government or economic conspiracy destroys his company, blows up his space ship and imprisons him in a weird faux luxury apartment where they perform bizarre experiments on him. By the film’s conclusion, Newton is a distraught alcoholic who has given up all hope of returning to his home planet. The final scene is weighted with a tragic stoicism and Bowie’s remarkably subtle performance makes for a classic ending.

Roeg’s largely English production crew bring some strong European sensibilities to the film, particularly an abundance of nudity including Rip Torn and David Bowie’s penises (though I think Bowie’s might be a body double), and an emphasis on overt sexuality and graphic bodily functions – when Mary Lou finds out Bowie is an alien there is a scene where urine cascades down her inner thigh. Predictably, this caused about 20 minutes worth of cuts in the American release that no doubt made the film even less comprehensible to American audiences then it already was. As a result of its participation in this film, Rip Torn's penis was given a Special Lifetime Achievement Award by the Academy and forced into mandatory, irreversible retirement.

The movie’s main plot elements are pretty straightforward but the exposition is not laid out in a clear cut way; Roeg fills the film with Russian-style symbolism and surreal image montages that strongly recall Tarkovsky, and often expects the audience to make certain connections and tie together plot points that are intentionally left murky. For instance, how does the government know Newton is an alien and why do they capture him? Why is Rip Torn even in this movie? Is it even the government that is behind this? Sometimes the film, made by Europeans with an outsiders perspective on the inner workings of America, runs the very real risk of alienating its audience too far with its floating narrative strands (Newton, ageless, is contrasted with all the other major characters who go through the natural convolutions of human aging), where the time period of the film’s setting is never clearly defined for us and the passage of time is an abstraction.

The film benefits from a wry sense of humor, some great visuals and insightful commentary on American society and human nature and the way people use alcohol, religion, money, success and sex as crutches. But the thing that most distinguishes this movie as an overlooked classic is David Bowie’s masterful performance. It is, if you'll excuse the pun, out of this world.

there has never been a more perfect actor to play the part of an alien disguised as a human than david bowie. His ghoulish, pasty face that belies a subtle charm is just right. Acting-wise, he is fantastic blowing veteran actor rip torn out of the water with his performance. After seeing bowie in labyrinth i wrote him off as an actor, but this film completely changed my opinion of bowie the actor and bowie the performer, entertainer and artist.

Directed by nicolas roeg, the man who fell to earth is based on a 1963 novel of the same name and treats the story of an alien who crash lands on earth. Thomas newton’s (bowie) mission is not explicitly articulated in the film, but we are informed by a series of floating, dreamy flashbacks that he left his wife and kids on his home world which has been ravaged by a catastrophic drought, and came to earth to either find a safe haven for his family or to bring water back. He spends much of the film greedily slurping water. To accomplish his goal, he patents 9 advanced technologies and overnight creates a huge corporate conglomerate, hoarding the money to build a space ship.

NSFW:
newton’s plan is thwarted at the 11th hour when some kind of government or economic conspiracy destroys his company, blows up his space ship and imprisons him in a weird faux luxury apartment where they perform bizarre experiments on him. By the film’s conclusion, newton is a distraught alcoholic who has given up all hope of returning to his home planet. The final scene is weighted with a tragic stoicism and bowie’s remarkably subtle performance makes for a classic ending.

roeg’s largely english production crew bring some strong european sensibilities to the film, particularly an abundance of nudity including rip torn and david bowie’s penises (though i think bowie’s might be a body double), and an emphasis on overt sexuality and graphic bodily functions – when mary lou finds out bowie is an alien there is a scene where urine cascades down her inner thigh. Predictably, this caused about 20 minutes worth of cuts in the american release that no doubt made the film even less comprehensible to american audiences then it already was. As a result of its participation in this film, rip torn's penis was given a special lifetime achievement award by the academy and forced into mandatory, irreversible retirement.

The movie’s main plot elements are pretty straightforward but the exposition is not laid out in a clear cut way; roeg fills the film with russian-style symbolism and surreal image montages that strongly recall tarkovsky, and often expects the audience to make certain connections and tie together plot points that are intentionally left murky. For instance, how does the government know newton is an alien and why do they capture him? Why is rip torn even in this movie? Is it even the government that is behind this? Sometimes the film, made by europeans with an outsiders perspective on the inner workings of america, runs the very real risk of alienating its audience too far with its floating narrative strands (newton, ageless, is contrasted with all the other major characters who go through the natural convolutions of human aging), where the time period of the film’s setting is never clearly defined for us and the passage of time is an abstraction.

The film benefits from a wry sense of humor, some great visuals and insightful commentary on american society and human nature and the way people use alcohol, religion, money, success and sex as crutches. But the thing that most distinguishes this movie as an overlooked classic is david bowie’s masterful performance. It is, if you'll excuse the pun, out of this world.

hmm thanks for sharing this information dude.:)

as a bowie fanatic, i am ashamed to say i have yet to see this :(

I love David Bowie and I love this movie.

I would blow David Bowie and I would blow this movie.

5 stars.

I watched this in its entirety last month.

I have to say, I loved Bowie, and I loved the overall eeriness of the movie, but the plot itself left me scratching my head. I found myself judging each scene on its own merit, rather than following a cogent story. The one scene in particular I liked was when Bowie collapses at the top of the elevator in the hotel, and Mary Lou has to carry him to his room. That, and the following scene really stood out.

The viewer is left to infer a lot of what's going on, which is great if you have a vivid imagination.

By the way, I'm not sure how but the entire movie is available streamed out Youtube in a single file.

Watch the movie.

I watched this once when I was in my teenage "must-watch-anything-obscure-in-order-to-distance-myself-from-the-plebs" phase.

Alas, being such a clueless fuckwit, I failed to understand anything in the film, and was largely turned off by its structure and esoteric narrative. Though, that probably didn't stop me from telling everyone how wonderful it was.

The film has some serious sci-fi credentials. I should probably watch it again, now that I've grown to be a towering monument to intellect and reason.

**adds to newsbin queue**

Cyc, I'd say that the strangeness of the narrative is appropriate - it adds to the eerie quality you mentioned for it to not only be a film about an alien but also an "alien" film. The plot is relatively simple if you look for it. I'm not sure what's leaving you scratching your head. It's not particularly subtle:

NSFW:
It's that whole power corrupts template. Despite good intentions (in this case saving his home planet) the protagonist gradually adapts to/is swallowed by his environment (wealth). He is corrupted by the modern world. While doing what he needs to in order to save his people and complete his mission, he loses sight of his original moral objective and becomes selfish and indulgent. On Earth he is a genius. This makes him powerful, which brings with it temptations. He gives in to those temptations and becomes human. (I am simplifying it, but isn't that the overall plot structure? I haven't seen it for a while.)

Yeah, I guess the disconnect for me was the fact that many of the scenes are just Bowie staring off into space, or sipping a glass of gin while a cacophony thunders around him.

I get that they were trying for a certain mood and I genuinely did like it. I'm just used to a bit more dialogue. I'm not a Fantasia/Wall-E type of movie guy.

That said, I think Candy Clark did a fantastic job as the female lead, and Bowie is awesome no matter what.

a favorite w/o question,
is something to see multiple times...

" i am rich-i can do anything i want! "

NSFW:
- said after forgetting about -the water