Votes: 0 0.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

• Total voters

brothermarcus

Bluelighter
just watched this tonight- those that have seen it what do you think?

the reviews were split in my local mags, but i've loved all of bertolucci's films i'd seen before so i gave it a shot. i thought the film was smart and well-shot, very voyueristic... and i'm glad things worked out the way they did. i don't think the message could have been conveyed in the fashion it was without the nudity, which earned the film it's nc-17 rating here... could this have been an r-rated film with more editing, yes, but if i were bertolucci i wouldn't have cut anything from this print either...

I really wanted to see it when it was out. Saw the trailers few months before it was out and been really looking forward to it. I will definately rent it soon. Can't wait to see it.

I'm thinking about buying it since there's no place that'll rent it out near me.. I don't think you can rent it at blockbuster or Hollywood video due to it's NC-17 rating...

So...I take it the above liked it, anyone else have a review of it?

After viewing this for the 2nd time in its full uncut glory, i have to say that this movie review sums up quite nicely how I feel about it at this point :

The Dreamers
U.S. Release Date: 2/6/2004 (limited)

Set in the spring of 1968, "The Dreamers" introduces one American student (Michael Pitt) to a sexually curious Parisian teen (Eva Green) and her moody sibling (Louis Garrel), shuts them up in a spacious apartment and lets nature take its course. It sounds like the blueprint for a late-night Cinemax offering -- and, in other hands, it might have been -- but since the director is Bernardo Bertolucci ("Last Tango in Paris," "The Last Emperor") you can be assured there's going to be a lot of soul-searching in between the erotic encounters.

What there isn't much of, disappointingly, is substance, or even anything terribly memorable.

Up until its final moments, "The Dreamers" is all too aptly titled. These kids spend plenty of time exchanging trivia, experiencing momentary traumas and rolling around in bed, but they certainly don't accomplish much, aside from occasionally freaking each other out. If a world-class cinematographer and his team set up shop in your old dorm room during one particularly boozy weekend, the end result would probably look very much like this: two hours of lusciously photographed lollygagging, accompanied by a killer soundtrack.

Each of the central trio is film-savvy and, to varying degrees, free-spirited. No one, unfortunately, is particularly fascinating.

Baby-faced Matthew (Pitt), who has come from San Diego to attend screenings at Paris' famous Cinematheque Francaise, has a tendency to speak in a slightly drowsy voice that makes even the shortest sentences seem to drag. Isabelle (Green) is your garden-variety young neurotic, except for the fact that she sees nothing unusual about sleeping in the nude next to Theo (Garrel), her twin brother. Matthew appears to be lusting after both of them, although Theo finally doesn't respond; this may be the only film in history in which an American was portrayed as being more sexually adventurous than his French counterpart.

As the NC-17 rating indicates, Bertolucci puts a premium on sensuality. Even so, the hints of incestuousness between Theo and Isabelle keep eroticism at arm's length, and few will be turned on by the sight of the three soaking in bathwater Isabelle has accidentally contaminated. "Dreamers" is actually more entertaining in the rare moments when Matthew, Isabelle and Theo show off their minds instead of their bodies by matching wits or recreating great movie moments (such as the scene in "Queen Christina" in which Greta Garbo tries to memorize the details of the bedroom she's shared with her lover, or the race through the Louvre from director Jean-Luc Godard's "Bande a Part").

Bertolucci sprinkles clips from such masterworks as "Breathless," "Top Hat" and "Freaks" throughout the story to comment on the action and illustrate what the characters are thinking about. While they're great to see, they also remind you that instead of sitting through "The Dreamers," you could be at home watching a real movie.

The most logical explanation of the bizarre premise: Bertolucci, an inarguably brilliant Oscar-winning filmmaker, is also quite the perv."

=D

i actually don't rate this movie very highly at all. michael pitt was bland as the american student, and all in all it just seemed like a teenage boys want for his wet dream fantasy come to life, but given that bertolucci is an old man now he needed to chuck in the political/philosophical content inorder to make the film appear more artsy and less utterly pointless.

meh.

I had nothing to watch last night and so I popped my DVD of this in the player before bed since its been years since I've seen it. I cant deny its a beautifully shot film that has its moments (Isabelles hair catching fire, the shot of her memorizing the room, the three of them running through the Louvre etc) .....but other parts just leave me with a throbbing WTF??? in my head lol.
Cant deny Eva Green is rivetingly beautiful. And so is Michael Pitt. hah!
Lovely and yet still, strangely unsatisfying in the end.

drEaMtiMe*@# said:
i actually don't rate this movie very highly at all. michael pitt was bland as the american student, and all in all it just seemed like a teenage boys want for his wet dream fantasy come to life, but given that bertolucci is an old man now he needed to chuck in the political/philosophical content inorder to make the film appear more artsy and less utterly pointless.

meh.

Did you miss Last Tango In Paris?

I am more than happy to resurrect this thread. In my opinion, and I sincerely mean this, Bernardo Bertolucci's The Dreamers is hands-down one of the most aesthetically-pleasing and thought-provoking movies I have ever seen.

I am also more than happy to concede that, upon first watching the film, I had absolutely no idea what to make of it. Having seen it again, and again, and again, I can say that it now makes sense to me, or as much sense as it will ever make to me. It's not a movie that you can watch once and then slip into your collection for another rainy day. It's a movie that asks you to put down whatever you're doing and think about what you're watching.

This may sound like, well, like a whole lot of pretentiousness. But I would ask that everyone watch the movie more than once before coming to some conclusion about it. A lot of what I have come to love took a long, long time to grow on me.

.....but other parts just leave me with a throbbing WTF??? in my head

Indeed.

I haven't seen this for a while, but I kinda kept going in different directions with it on each viewing. It leaves a lot to be desired, yet it's not totally dissatisfying. If that makes any kinda sense?. =D

tumblr_lemgamgsX31qfvrb1o1_500.jpg

Please tell me that someone went to MOMA about a week ago for the Bertolucci exhibit and checked out this film on the big screen. We got snowed in and couldn't go.