Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

film: Ponyo On The Cliff By The Sea. (new hayao miyazaki film)

rate it!

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/1star.gif[/img]

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

L2R

Bluelight Crew
d: hayao miyazaki

ponyo_02.jpg

i wasn't too impressed by the video of this i walk by everyday in chinatown. dvd stores there have bootleg everything from asia really fast playing in their front windows, and seeing this make me confused as to whether it was really a new feature or a re-release of something old. the style goes way back to the days of "my neighbour totoro" and "castle of cagliostro". it's simple, and very stylised in classic miyazaki cartoon art. all the scenes i saw on the street were of children and people and i didn't see any sign of magic, monsters or gods.

boy was i wrong. watching it from start to finish, mr miyazaki weaves his magic as well as ever. a very thrilling and beautiful ride right through, he once again captured my heart and imagination and warped me back into a wide eyed and innocent childhood.

_ponyo_sozai_jacket.jpg

fantastic
4.5/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0876563/

I had no idea Miyazaki even had a new(ish) movie out. But even if it doesnt have the otherworldly, mystical type animation of Mononoke or Spirited Away, I still loved Totoro and Miyazaki has a wonderful way of immersing the viewer in fantastic worlds, so I'm definitely interested in checking this out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

A huge voice cast is being assembled for the English-language version of animation genius Hayao Miyazaki's "Ponyo on the Cliff by the Sea" reports GhibliWorld.com.

Matt Damon, Tina Fey, Cate Blanchett, Liam Neeson, Lily Tomlin, Betty White, Fankie Jonas, Noah Cyrys and Cloris Leachman will all lend their voices to the various characters populating the animated adventure which has been an enormous hit in Japan.

The story centers on a 5-year-old boy and his relationship with a goldfish princess who longs to become human. Frank Marshall and Kathleen Kennedy will produce the new recording.

The move continues the trend of Miyazaki classics such as the Oscar-winning "Spirited Away" that have boasted large star-powered casts for their English soundtracks.

The likes of Christian Bale, Lauren Bacall, Gillian Anderson, Billy Crystal, Michael Chiklis, Billy Crudup, Kirsten Dunst, Janeane Garofalo, Claire Danes, Minnie Driver, James Van Der Beek, Anna Paquin, Mark Hamill, Michael Keaton, Cary Elwes, Emily Mortimer, Tim Daly, Patrick Stewart, Dakota Fanning, Jean Simmons, Blythe Danner, Debbie Reynolds and Suzanne Pleshette have all lent their voices to the American & European DVD release versions of such Miyazaki classics as "Howl's Moving Castle," "Castle in the Sky," "Porco Rosso," "Princess Mononoke," "Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind," "Kiki's Delivery Service," "My Neighbor Totoro," and of course the aforementioned 'Spirited'.

A 2009 limited theatrical release of the English-language version is expected of 'Ponyo'.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news08/081127a.php

Four out of five. It may be Miyazaki's most thoroughly kid-targeted film, though I still enjoyed it immensely. It reminded me a bit of Howl's Moving Castle in that the ending was abrupt and the plot seemed to be constructed as an excuse for producing scenes of exuberant surreality and life affirming innocence and love. When you create art the caliber of Miyazaki's it's OK to allow function to follow form. His visions are primary, then he ties them together with a story. Nevertheless, this tendency in the film is why I gave it four instead of five stars. Aesthetically, it parallels his best. Narratively, it's a little lacking. Still, I highly recommend it.

Finally saw this last night. It gave me the same , warm and wonderful feeling as My Neighbor Totoro did although to be quite honest, I did not exactly "connect" with the characters the way I did with Spirited Away and Howls Moving Castle. It was still quite charming and enchanting though, and the animation was , as to be expected, fantastic!

Some thoughts on the film....
NSFW:

* The scene when Ponyo unintentionally releases Fujimoto's cache of magic elixirs ...the puffy rollicking ocean and Ponyo riding the fish waves were simply glorious and I felt like I was drowning ! That was a fantastic scene.
* the Lady of the Sea's scenes, she was just super beautiful
* I most loved Ponyo was she was Brunhilde (lol) a cute goldfish with a head stuck in her little Bubble. When she was kissing her sisters I wanted to squeal.
*Sosuke was super cute and likable, but I think Ponyo as a little girl was a bit too "unruly" and cutesy for me...it wasnt an effortless kind of cute, it seemed as if she was trying too hard to be super cute. Ya smellin me?
*One final thing...I did NOT know this movie was similar to another Disney movie about a half fish/girl who longs to be a human! Hahaha! I was quite surprised.

ponyo_banner.jpg

PS. I saw the original Japanese version with subtitles.

I really enjoyed this, despite it being my least favourite Miyazaki flick so far. As others have mentioned it was aimed for very small children and had little to no adult content whatsoever.

Having said that it is RIDICULOUSLY cute. The plot is sort of like a mix between The Little Mermaid & Finding Nemo on half a tab of acid.

3/5

d: hayao miyazaki

watching it from start to finish, mr miyazaki weaves his magic as well as ever. a very thrilling and beautiful ride right through, he once again captured my heart and imagination and warped me back into a wide eyed and innocent childhood.

[/QUOTE]

I just saw this tonight, Japanese version with English sub titles. Your descritpion mimics my experience.

I gave this 5 stars, I walked out of the cinema feeling like a happy little child.
Brilliant=D

I loved this movie. Some of the scenes looked amazing, but I wasn't that into the characters themselves.

Didnt any of you guys think "Ponyo" was over-acting as the small child? It wasnt an effortless kind of cute, like lets say, Satsuki and Mei in My Neighbor Totoro.
She seemed kind of annoying actually when she was living in Sosuke's home ;)

Miyazaki has made much better films but this one was still a good movie. My friends and I smoke out for this movie and I loved all the colors. It was visually pleasing but the story was a bit too nonsensical. Everything just seemed a bit random.

Didnt any of you guys think "Ponyo" was over-acting as the small child? It wasnt an effortless kind of cute, like lets say, Satsuki and Mei in My Neighbor Totoro.
She seemed kind of annoying actually when she was living in Sosuke's home ;)

To be fair, she was very much a fish out of water once she left the sea, she wasn't a normal child and hadn't grown up as one.
Her over acting as you saw it was simply child like enthusiasm.
That's how I saw it anyway.
I didn't expect to her to know how to behave as a normal child would.

^my impression exactly.

I'm still hanging to see it in the theatres. planned to catch it yesterday but missed the session after giving my cats a groom and bath.

wow, i can't believe it's been almost a year since i saw this.

Go see it.

It's well worth the big screen experience, particularly the scene where Ponyo is chasing Sosuke in the car. I was grinning from ear to ear watching her running and hopping from fish to fish in the sea.

I'm interested to see how the English version will be.

To be fair, she was very much a fish out of water once she left the sea, she wasn't a normal child and hadn't grown up as one.
Her over acting as you saw it was simply child like enthusiasm.
That's how I saw it anyway.
I didn't expect to her to know how to behave as a normal child would.

Point taken. I still found her much more cute and endearing as the fish ;) Thats just me though.

It's well worth the big screen experience, particularly the scene where Ponyo is chasing Sosuke in the car. I was grinning from ear to ear watching her running and hopping from fish to fish in the sea.

One of my favorite scenes EVER!!! (I posted it up there in NSFW tags %))
I was literally super excited and catching my breath during that entire frolicking through the ocean part! Love <3 Wish I could see that in the theater.. (alas, Ponyo isnt showing here on the big screen!) :p

2009ponyoonthecliffbyth.jpg