• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

tribal girl

Bluelight Crew
Ok, take two.

506202.jpg

Plot summery:

In 1928 Los Angeles, single mother Christine Collins (Jolie) returns home one day to discover her nine-year-old son, Walter (Griffith), is missing. Reverend Gustav Briegleb (Malkovich) publicizes Christine's plight and rails against the Los Angeles Police Department for its incompetence, corruption and the extrajudicial punishment meted by its "Gun Squad", led by Police Chief James E. Davis (Feore). Several months later, Christine is told that her son has been found alive. A public reunion is organized by police, who believe that the positive publicity will negate recent criticism of the department. When Christine sees "Walter" (Conti), she doesn't recognize him. Captain Jones (Donovan) pressures a confused Christine into taking the boy home "on a trial basis".

After Christine confronts Jones with physical discrepancies between "Walter" and her son, Jones has a doctor visit her. He tells Christine that "Walter" is shorter because trauma has shrunk his spine, and pressures neighborhood children and an adult neighbor with poor eyesight into identifying the boy as Walter. A newspaper story appears that implies Christine is an unfit mother. Christine meets with Briegleb, who tells her the story was planted by police to discredit her. He also tells her of the corruption rife in the department, and of the Gun Squad's despotic rule over the city's streets. Walter's teacher and dentist give Christine signed letters confirming that "Walter" is an impostor. Christine arranges a press conference during which she tells her story. At Jones' order, Christine is taken to Los Angeles County Hospital's psychopathic ward. Christine is befriended by inmate Carol Dexter (Ryan), who tells Christine she is one of several women who were imprisoned for challenging police authority. Dr. Steele (O'Hare) deems Christine delusional and forces her to take mood-regulating pills. Steele says he will release Christine if she admits she was mistaken about "Walter". She refuses.

Detective Ybarra (Kelly) is called to a ranch at Wineville, Riverside County to arrange a boy's deportation to Canada. Ybarra discovers 15-year-old Sanford Clark. The boy's cousin, Gordon Northcott (Harner), has fled after being unwittingly alerted by Ybarra to his visit. Northcott steals a truck after killing its driver. Clark tells Ybarra that Northcott forced him to assist in kidnapping and murdering approximately twenty children. Clark identifies Walter as one of them. Jones tells Briegleb that Christine is in protective custody following a mental breakdown. Jones orders Clark deported, but Ybarra makes Clark reveal the murder site. Briegleb secures Christine's release by showing Steele a newspaper that details the Wineville killings and names Walter as a possible victim. "Walter" reveals his motive was to secure transportation to Los Angeles to see his favorite actor. Northcott is captured in Vancouver, Canada. Christine has an attorney (Pierson) secure a court order to release the women unfairly imprisoned by police.

On the day of the city council's hearing into the case, Christine and Briegleb flee police who they believe want to prevent her testifying. Outside Los Angeles City Hall they encounter thousands of protestors who are demanding answers from the city. The hearing is intercut with scenes from Northcott's trial. The council concludes that Jones and Davis should be removed from duty, and that extrajudicial internments by police must be reviewed. Northcott is found guilty of murder and sentenced to death by hanging. Two years later, Christine has not given up her search for Walter. She is told that Northcott is willing to admit killing Walter on condition that Christine meets him before his execution. Northcott refuses to tell her whether or not he killed her son, and he is executed the next day. In 1935, David Clay—one of the boys assumed to have been killed—is found alive. He reveals that one of the boys with whom he was imprisoned was Walter. David, Walter and another boy escaped, but were separated. David doesn't know whether Walter was recaptured, giving Christine hope that he is alive.

imdb link
trailer

I tried to find the teaser trailer they've been previewing here in the UK, but alas, it doesn't seem to be on youtube. They just make the teaser look a bit more exciting than the full length version. Still looks promising though. Whaddya reckon?, any Angelina fans out there who are tempted to go see it?.

I'm tempted to see this not because of Angelina, but because it sounds like an interesting story. I'll probably wait until the DVD though unless some of you screen it and convince me to shell out the dough. ;)

As I said in the other thread I *may* go to see this but it's not high on my priority list.

Jeffrey Donovan is cool. I'm not going to see the movie, but I like that dude (from Burn Notice).

Yeah, not bad.

Felt like it had a fairly long runtime, but it rarely stopped being interesting or engaging.

Some of the scenes and scenarios in the mental asylum seemed a little far-fetched and deliberately incongruous or nonsensical, to purposely add to the feeling of injustice or outrage. But who knows? The mental health system in the UK was fucking appalling as recently as the 1950s (I have heard stories that would make you cry), so perhaps it isn't as far-fetched as it initially seemed.

That said, the very premise of the cops pressurising a grieving mother to take custody of some random scrote was equally as preposterous. I felt, at times, that I had to suspend disbelief at some of the character attitudes and speech in order for the film to achieve any internal logic.

In its defense, however, Eastwood has shot a very flattering image of Los Angeles before it turned into the shithole it currently is. It's all beautifully and tastefully recreated. I honestly felt like I wanted to be there. Jolie is good in the role and suits the period style immensely. Malkovich was the character he always is - but still very endearing.

3.5/5

Watched it late one sleepless filled night, it was meh, good...the story was interesting, and I love that time period...I thought the costuming was especially good.