• ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Film: Blindness

jpgrdnr

Bluelighter
Worth checking out. I was definitely intrigued by the premise - a nation (or the world going blind). There are some excellent cinematic moments. It felt very similar to Children of Men (Moore was in it too), but not as classic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0861689/

I'm not a fan of Julianne Moore, she seems so....rigid. I wont be seeing this.

First of all, I might be bias because I already LOVED Julianne Moore, always have. I think she's brilliant. She was very good in this movie, but like I said, I think she's good in everything.

I was excited to see Blindness because the previews enticed me, but the previews really show very little of what happens in this film. I was not prepared for how deeply disturbing it would be. It really effected me a lot. In some ways I found it terrifying.

First of all, the concept itself is very scary. I'm a fan of end of the world movies and thinking over such scenerios, but the idea of everyone just suddenly going blind makes me shudder. I felt this movie very realistically portrayed what would happen in such a situation and watching it filled me with waves of empathy almost bringing me to tears at a few points.

Spoilers:

NSFW:
The entire part of the movie which takes place in the quarantine was some of the most disturbing scenes I've seen possibly in any movie ever. It was graphic and realistic and upsetting. It was such a terrifying situation, in some ways what I'd imagine hell to be like. I think it was so effective because I can see people reacting just that way when forced into such a situation. It really upset me, like I said I almost cried and I have a heart of stone when it comes to being scared/upset/grossed out by movies.

It was more than just seeing people filthy and naked, walking barefoot through their own shit, and more than the fact that they were starving to death and abandoned with no medical care, and the way they eventually turned against each other out of desperation and pain and some greedy search for power and control when completely lost. It was the way that this film was shot, the underlying tone coupled with the actors skills that made this so painfully realistic I almost couldn't stomach it.

The later parts of the movie, after they realize they are no longer being held captive and flee, were disturbing in a different way. Seeing the complete and total collapse of the world into chaotic filth, and the way the fear and desperation turns people into animals was scary.

This movie scared me. :( It really did, I feel funny even saying that lol. It's like, give me a zombie apocolypse, I'm fine. Give me an alien attack or world war 3, I'll survive. But this concept really disturbed me on a level I can't even explain, I may even have nightmares because of it. The idea of a sudden loss of something we rely so strongly on in our day to day lives definitely hit me on a very visceral level. I'll be thinking about this one for a few days.

That said, when I see a film I want it to effect me and this movie definitely did it's job. It's a demonstration of human strengths and weakness in the most extreme of situations. It's brutal in it's honest portrayal of a world going to hell. I would give this film 5 out of 5 stars. Excellent.

P.S. I'll NEVER take my sight for granted again! ;)