Votes: 8 18.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/5stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
alasdairm said:
my plan:

1. get baked
2. go see this
finally got round to executing my plan a couple of nights ago. the movie was the epic visual spectacle i was hoping for.

i got pretty baked so i wasn't really looking to poke holes in any other aspect of it - i enjoyed it immensely :)

alasdair

my friend got this on dvd already. fucking sick movie even the second time. mmm killing.

saw it at imax
enjoyed the action much more on the big screen. i was a bit disappointed by the clarity on the huge screen.
the dialogue was still nauseating.

When the persian demands that Leonaidis (sp?) drops his weapons one at a time, i kept waiting for him to demand:
"and now, your beard. Drop your beard now!"

btw: i gave it three stars

omfg i just watched the south park episode "d-yikes". the 300 parody is fucking gold!

Three stars

I dunno if it was just my dvd copy but the sound effects were loud but with barely audiable dialogue. I had to turn it up really loud to hear the dialogue then every action sequence was super super loud.

Good action. Makes you think about the history of the situation.

It's far too silly to be offensive. The visuals are obviously fantastic... if you're into stylized hyperbole. The acting is bad, but it's bad in such a wonderfully campy way that it's easily forgivable. The lame subplot could have been cut; a 95 minute running time is more then enough.

Braveheart better than 300? I don't think so. They are about the same in terms of silliness, but 300 has the edge in production design and sleekness. And I must say, the costuming and prop design were really, really excellent, probably due to being digitally enhanced.

At its core -and the movie is very up front about this- it is a sleek, action-filled testosterone powered spectacle with some really good looking sequences and cool digitally rendered backdrops. The colors were rendered very well in particular. And that's it. That's all it is. That's all it pretends to be. You can't go into it expecting to see Herodotus or Thucydides leap off the screen. That's just silly.

I think Hollywood is doing a very good job of bringing these graphic novels to life and making an effort to produce a shot for shot replica whenever possible. Just sit back and enjoy the visuals. They are spectacular. How retarded has society become when they go digging for hidden truths in a film like this?

Last edited:
I gave this a 2 out of 5. The two are warranted by the interesting melding of CG and real life. But that is just about the only thing this film has going for it. The soundtrack was ok, but nothing stunning. The story was uninteresting, and horribly inaccurate. It seems to me like the director has never seen Iranians before, since he decided to use black actors to represent them.

Another issue I noticed with the movie was blatant homophobia - it seems like the writer/director were very concerned about the fact that their movie was about 300 men in tight leather briefs. He decided to stick the sex scene right at the beginning of the movie, and another one near the end - just in case. Its as if he was saying, "see? I'm making a movie about many scantily-clad musclemen, but I'm straight!". I find it funny how Leonides calls the "other" Greeks "Lovers of men", when in fact the Spartans were no less homosexual than the other Greeks, and if a band of 300 men really did exist, chances are it was an army of lovers.

By the way, adultry was not only acceptable, but encouraged in Sparta.

Also, all the men in the army should have had beards, if I'm not mistaken.

This movie was trying waaaaay to hard to be "tough". Out of anything, it reminded me of WWF (or WWE, whatever they call it today).

And Leonides was such an annoying character.

Pander Bear said:
C-

Not bad writing, but a terrible screenplay. I got the distinct impression that I was watching an adaptation of a comic book. The action was pointless, and the effects got tiresome. The narration was over-the-top.

All those themes about how awesome it is to be a free Greek, and how freedom isn't free, all seem pretty retarded coming from a civilization where the infirm are tossed down a cliff after birth, children are beaten by adults, and bred to be warriors.

Basically, the whole time i was in the theater, I was thinking "If I'm going to watch something stylized and inaccurate, I'd ratehr be watching
I totally agree.

Oh and I forgot to mention that anal sex for the greeks, especially with women, was seen as extremely abhorrent and shameful for both participants.

(Men did not penetrate each other when they had sex, they did it "between the thighs" - frottage, I assume).