• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Feels like I wake up months later addict again, when I was happy already

Legally High

Bluelighter
It always feels like the months have passed me bad and I?ve been on the crappy addiction rollercoster that never was good as being sober (on my uncontrolled medication). When I?m just on my meds I?m happy as can be then it seems like I make one poor error in judgment and think I can use just one time since I have something socially important or I didn?t get any sleep last night before work. I?ll find an excuse eventually and ruin a lot of hard work and sobriety. Any tips for this?

One thing to remember: (re)lapsing doesn't erase the experience you've racked up while moderating/abstaining...it's very common for folks to feel that a lapse has ruined their clean time. But while it's true that a lapse is usually a bummer (and of course can be dangerous), it doesn't detract from your prior accomplishments.

With that said, building skills to reduce the kinds of slips you've described is an important part of long-term recovery. I think it's one of the hardest parts, in fact...those moments can sneak up with so little warning.

Personally, here's what I try to do. If I suddenly get an impulse to use--and if I'm aware enough and composed enough to resist it--I try to change my 'setting' (i.e. where I am and what I'm doing) ASAP. Sometimes simply going into another room and cranking up some music works. But more often I get urges to use when I'm rattling around the house alone, feeling bored/depressed, and in such cases it's important for me to get less isolated quickly. I'll do almost anything...I go to the movies--any movie...I go to the hardware store...I go sit in a cafe and read a trashy magazine...pretty much anything to get outside my head. If you have someone you can talk to with sufficient honesty, that can be great too.

For me, it's all about experimentation, learning what works and what doesn't and keeping some workable strategies right in the front of my brain.

Hey! I'm dealing with the same thing and you're not alone. I've been clean for several days now and I've found by reaching out to others and doing research has really helped me understand my addiction. I've been using for over 8 years and noticed several triggers and it's usually when I'm alone in a room drowning in my own thoughts. I have my own business and it can get really stressful sometimes since everything is results oriented and I find myself using when I have a bad day to escape.

Today, I'm going to start exercising again to help with the detox and just getting my body and mental right. I suggest also sticking with this forum to get the support you need. I'm brand new to the forums and thought nobody would care about my posts but was surprised with the response I got. I personally believe every addict will get to the point where they will want to change for themselves. In the past, I would say to myself " Ok, I will quit for my wife and kid" but it never worked out. You have to quit for yourself and when you want to you will do everything in your power to get help. Reach out to a forum like this is definitely a great start.

You got this! Wishing you the best of luck.

You mentioned finding an excuse to use, like when you have something socially important or haven't gotten enough sleep. I think in times like that it's extremely important to be engaged with how you're feeling and continue through with the plan anyway. A lot of addiction comes from associations and patterns in behavior. It might be deeply ingrained in you have a drink to be socially engaged or take some speed to get going in the morning, but every time you make the conscious choice not to do so, you're throwing out the old behavior and building something new. It can be really uncomfortable and painful to deviate from your usual behavior, but trust me, it's totally worth it. You can think of it like lifting weights - it's really hard at first, you feel weak and want to stop, but eventually you start to build muscle and it becomes part of your new routine.

All good points. I?m the epitome of repitive behavior, ocd, whatever you want to call I I like to do something over and over again and not dieviate from it. Put all my focus on that one thing and nothing else. I get comfort from this behavior pattern I suppose because it?s predictable and I know the feeling it brings. I need to find a job that can put this to use lol. Academic strength is memorization due to this repetition.

OP, what kind of professional help have you tried? Therapists, mental health treatment, psych meds, etc?

Why do you think you are having such a hard time accomplishing your goals in recovery right now?