feeling suicidal. want to go to ER but afraid of WD while there

catbird

Bluelighter
Hi all. i am thinking of going to the ER as i am in so much fucking emotional pain i can't stand it. but what happens when there if you are opiate dependent? do they tie you down and make you ride it out or what?

If your opiate dependent they'll give you shots of dilauladid as needed, until your no longer opiate dependent and everyones happy.

I don't think they'd just let you go cold turkey, honey. <3
If you are feeling suicidal, go into the ER.
They'll be best equipped to help you w/d safely and in peace.
Please keep us updated!

i am not sure if you are joking about the dilaudid. seems a bit too good to be true. i figured they'd give me some benzo and, like, clonadine or however you spell that. but even with that i am afraid. i'm afraid of being on suicide watch and not being allowed to leave and going through hell. you know, i don't think non-dependent people (like most nurses and docs) have any real idea what's it like and so wouldn't be to concerned. on the other hand, what do i know?

If you're admitted to a psych ward on an emergency basis you're going to be given meds. While it's up to the doctors exactly what meds you're given, it's often a combination which knocks the stuffing out of people for the first few days. Some psych facilities are dual diagnosis (ie, handle drug abuse issues and psych issues at the same time) and some aren't. Tell the doctors at the ER your fears. It's not uncommon at all for people having a mental health crisis to be extremely scared.

For what it's worth, those in the medical professions have a significantly higher rate of substance abuse than the general population so the idea that they "don't know what it's like" is an ill-founded one - some do and some don't, which is true of every other condition for which they treat people as well.

I admitted myself to the er a while ago. Was from ssri medication sending me into a manic phase and all I had were rushing thoughts/plans of how to kill myself. At the time I was not addicted to amps/abusing them, was on them as perscribed. I was scared too.

Suicide is always scary. Went there, peed in a cup, gave me a benzo, sat there with a blank stare on my face answering the docs questions, I don't really remember. Benzo didn't do anything and I started hearing voices so they gave me some sublingual seroquel and then was sent home after 3 hours after that.

If you go to the er and the on call doctor who sees you says you need to go to a psych ward, you'll probably end up going or be treated for addiction. A lot of people who work with drug addiction in hospitals and psych wards know what drug addiction and withdrawals are like, from personal experience. These people have this job because they want to help you.

stay safe. Try to keep your chin up. If worst comes to worst and you actually have a plan and are set on going through with it (suicide plan), please go to the er. Just remember, when your thinking about suicide, your not thinking straight. Much love, hope everything goes well.

Last edited:
HI all, just thought i'd update everyone. i did in fact admit myself to the hospital. to do that i had to confess a bunch of shit to my wife and shit blew up (my big old opiate addiction had been a secret) but she stood with me and drove me there and all that. they put me in a room. after two hours of nothing (they had some emergency shit and only two docs. i tried to leave, they physically stopped me and put a guard on me. the police came and by that time i was really starting to withdrawal. but also by that time i had talked so much through with my wife and gotten so much shit off my chest i was actually really wanting to live.

the cops came to 5150 me (involuntary commitment to psych ward). but i actually talked them out of it. the doc said my only options were to go to psych ward or detox unit and either way i'd be in for 72 hours min. but my rhetorical powers won over the cops who refused to 5150 me and once i asked straight out "legally am i allowed to leave", they shrugged and let me go.

it turned out well. for a week i did a hellish taper from 800 - 1000 mgs of OC to 40 a day. and im glad i was able to do it in my own home. with my wife helping and my own bed, sweat stainded as it was.

all in all things are much better. i'm not over the hump completely but getting better. i thank you all for your advice and concern.

They won't just tie you down, they have medicine and will use it. I would reconsider going to the ER, and think about going to a Suboxone Doctor if you have good insurance.

I wish you the best of luck though! If you must, go to the ER, and take care.

^ bump

If you go to a ER they will most likely send you to a psych ward that is dual diagnose - put you on suboxone.

*edit* shots of diluadid ? really ? I dunno what hospital you went to but that's a sick joke otherwise !

they will place you in a MICA unit. MICA stands for mentally ill chemically dependent. theyll give you meds for the wd's and pych meds to get your head straight.