• S&T Moderators: VerbalTruist | Skorpio | alasdairm

Technology Faster than light speed ?

Well, Time is relevant to earth and other planetaria bodies along with stars. It was created by peoples standards to measure a period of length durring the day and night, but there is no time in space. So, the speed of time is a human conception.

Insects such as flys process 200 image frames per second, compared to about 50 for humans, they effectively experience time 4x more slowly than humans. Which is pretty creepy to think about, like if a preying mantis eats a fly, they're being eaten alive in slow motion. This is also why it's so difficult to kill a fly... they see it coming.

What is the upper limit to this? What if an animal could process 10,000 frames per second? 10 million?

Does a computer have a concept of time?

Insects such as flys process 200 image frames per second, compared to about 50 for humans, they effectively experience time 4x more slowly than humans. Which is pretty creepy to think about, like if a preying mantis eats a fly, they're being eaten alive in slow motion. This is also why it's so difficult to kill a fly... they see it coming.

What is the upper limit to this? What if an animal could process 10,000 frames per second? 10 million?

Does a computer have a concept of time?
Interesting you asked me this because I tested it the other day. Claude AI doesn't have a clue what time it is. It literally has no internal references, it knows when it was instantiated and that's it, besides date clues from context.

The earlier version, Haiku, which is in flat out denial that it even has a model name and that it is anything but the one and only Claude received a timestamp indicating when the conversation had started. This was removed in Sonnet onwards. Like... why?!

Meta.ai answers in the same way as Haiku initially, suggesting you check a watch, it can't tell the time, blah blah, but if you actually interrogate it a little you realise it has multiple internal timestamps of unclear function, but close to the present, and it can in fact just Google the time for you although it has to be asked to do so.

ChatGPT has a watch obviously, and a small calculator. It knows the time and could Google it for you if needed.

Get this though - I asked Claude to estimate the "ebb and flow" of it's global, multiply instantiated mind, and then say something insightful about what this might mean with reference to it's own global dispersion and activity levels across timezones. It considered for a bit and put the time at mid to late evening (was 11 PM) on a weekday (was a Wednesday). Haha, having written that out I see that's vague as shit but it's a coinflip in a way, spooked me out a little.

Edit: Oh I should mention it actually gave me a time in UTC, as it did not know where I was located (it claims) so I converted it to my local time. It estimated 7.30-8.30 PM local time or something like that.