• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

FAQ: Negative Afteraffects of Ecstacy

Cyc

Bluelighter
Negative Afteraffects of Ecstacy
In response to the many recent posts in this forum regarding afteraffects, and to kyk off the new forum highlighting the dangers of Ecstacy, I would like to clear up some definitions and shed some light on the cause of suffering for those complaining of excessive anxiety and similar ailments.
Before you read on, I would like so add that I have recovered approx. 90% from the adverse symptoms caused from ecstacy use and that I understand exactly the fear that others are going through. Mine started from what was a panic attack, and then solidified into a hell I was able to slowly recover from in the following months.
After weeks of research, I have compiled enough information to present what I have gathered. It's important to note that many studies are inconclusive regarding afteraffects of Ecstacy due to the complex chemical reactions that occur in different regions of the brain. Some of the information here is theory derived from personal experience and some from research I've taken from various internet sources. This FAQ will be constantly updated as information unfolds concerning their cause and origins.
Psychological and emotional affictions
Paranoia vs. Hypervigilance
Hypervigilance: Enhanced state of sensory sensitivity accompanied by an exaggerated intensity of behaviors whose purpose it is to detect threats.
What people here are suffering from is not paranoia, but what's known as hypervigilance. This enhanced state of sensory input takes place when someone becomes acutely aware of the external world, and falsely interprets what their periphreal vision is examining. What their eye would normally pass over as insubstantial, becomes unusual. This state is also normally accompanied by anxiety,
Paranoia: A condition where the patient suffers from delusions and threats that are not normally related to their external perceptions.
This is the term that gets thrown around most often on this board and with it comes a very ominous reputation. Self-explanitory, this term is not the anxious and dwelling emotions that come with drug abuse, but a genuine mental disorder in predisposed and ill patients.
(Note:The symptoms of hypervigilance are also sensitive to a person's immunity and predisposition to show these traits. The symptoms of hypervigilance may only show up after excessive drug use or not at all, depending on the individual)
But how do these symptoms come about, and how do they relate to drug use?
The human brain comes with various instinctual defence mechanisms carried over from primal evolution to protect against and detect life-threatening or harmful situations -- The most prominent of these is known as the 'Fight-or-Flight' response, which reacts in a potentially harmful and intense situation by 'switching on,' so to speak in order to apathize the person from fear, anger and other useless emotions in order to act quickly. (If you've ever been in a fist fight or extremely frightened you will recognize this as 'blacking-out' from reality.)
Ecstacy use, while causing massive surges of seratonin to release, also causes these instictual functions to become disoriented when trying to identify external threats. This confusion often carries over from an intense drug-induced high and gives the feeling of hyper-reality. -- If you always seem on edge or get startled easily, then it is the prolonged altered state of this response that is the cause. (Commonly referred to as 'sketchiness.') In most cases, this feeling goes away after a few days, and your surroundings resume their normal appearance. In excessive users, this state becomes common and is accepted in its varying degrees.
In extreme stages, this malfunctioning response can also cause symptoms of depersonalization and derealization to the sufferer.
Depersonalization -- The feeling of not being yourself or that your limbs or speech do not belong to you. You may not recognize yourself in the mirror or are unfamiliar with your own actions. -- This can also lead to extreme depression and lowering of ones self-esteem.
Derealization -- The feeling that the world around you is unfamiliar. You feel that your surroundings and perception have changed but cannot attribute it to anything specific.
(Note: Both of these symptoms are extremely difficult to identify and relate to a physician. Hence, many sufferers will go untreated for fear of being misdiagnosed)
Depression
This is the most commonly diagnosed symptom of ecstacy use and can be treated by the use of SSRI, or MAOI antidepressants. (Warning: MAOI's and MDXX are a very harmful contraindiction.) Depression is usually closely related to the mentioned symptoms when being diagnosed but it can also effect a person on its own with none of the other adverse reactions occuring.
Sleeping Problems
When attaining R.E.M sleep, the body experiences muscle twitching, sleep paralysis, and if conscious, auditory and visual hallucinations. This might relate to Alpha pattern abnormalities observed in EEG scans of depressed patients. If you're still functioning on a conscious level when this state occurs or certain symptoms of this state such as sleep paralysis, it can be quite alarming and disorienting.
I theorize that the depression caused by MDMA and changes or abnormalities in brain chemical flow may disrupt this natural cycle.
Also, this article explains in more complex detail the patterns of sleep and its different stages. http://home.epix.net/~tcannon1/Physioweek7.htm
These are the symptoms shown in narcoleptics.
quote:
cataplexy - momentary paralysis without loss of consciousness occurring in association with sudden emotional reactions
sleep paralysis - occasionally episodes when patient cannot move, occurring just before or after sleep
hypnagogic hallucinations - particularly vivid auditory or visual hallucinations
The reference to depressed patients in this study and the knowledge that seretonin has a key role to play in our sleeping cycle strongly points to a connection.
(Note: 5HTP is also used as a sleeping aid for its calming effects[/b]
Short and long term memory loss in relation with MDMA
I really wish I could help more with this one, and this is a frequently discussed topic of interest. For a more thorough documentation, please visit www.erowid.org/chemicals/mdma/references/mdma_overview_memory1.shtml for direct references to the articles quoted.
Taken from www.erowid.com
In trying to answer this, we looked at a collection of 7 recent studies which attempt to address this topic. A list of all the studies we knew of on this topic as of March 1, 2000 is shown below. It is frustrating for interested readers who examine the record on MDMA associated memory disruptions that much of the research seems to contain fundamental flaws which make it possible that all of the negative findings are a function of selection bias or other errors.
Bolla - "Memory impairment in abstinent MDMA ('Ecstasy') users."
Dafters - "Level of use of 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA or Ecstasy) in humans correlates with EEG power and coherence."
Krystal - "Chronic 3,4-Methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA) Use: Effects on Mood and Neuropsychological Function?"
McCann - "Cognitive performance in (+/-) 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine (MDMA, "ecstasy") users: a controlled study."
Morgan - "Memory deficits associated with recreational use of "ecstasy" (MDMA)."
Parrott - "Ecstasy (MDMA) effects upon mood and cognition: before, during and after a Saturday night dance."
Reneman - "Memory disturbances in "Ecstasy" users are correlated with an altered brain serotonin neurotransmission."
The data on the subject to date comes from Reneman, Morgan, McCann/Bolla/Ricaurte, Dafters, Parrott, & Krystal. Each of these researchers presents a small piece of a growing puzzle. Unfortunately the various research published by the McCann, Bolla, & Ricaurte lab contains very little of their actual data and instead includes only small samples of highly processed statistics. The reader is left relying on possibly incomplete, narrow, or incorrect analyses. We can't know because they don't allow anyone else to examine their results.
In some studies, little or no significant difference between MDMA users and controls were found, while in others seemingly dramatic memory or attention-task deficits were found. In Reneman's recent paper in Psychopharmacology, the MDMA users' short term memory scores all fell at or below the lowest score of the control subjects. In McCann's "cognitive performance" paper published in 1999 Psychopharmacology the 22 MDMA users' scores averaged 10-35% lower on several of the tests they were given, but the authors wrote "differences in cognitive function seen in MDMA users and controls were quite subtle, and only detected using a sensitive battery of cognitive tests."
In Bolla's 1998 Neurology paper (published with McCann & Ricaurte and presumably conducted in the same lab), the memory effects seem contradictory and the paper states that "when memory function in the two groups was compared without taking the average monthly MDMA dose into account, differences were not found." The researchers also showed that some of the heaviest users of MDMA had the best memory scores on one of the two tests.
In Morgan's 1999 Psychopharmacology paper, the heavy MDMA users studied averaged about 25% worse on both immediate and delayed recall tests, but he also found contradictory data. The heavy MDMA users who had abstained for at least 6 months before the test scored 10%+ higher than the controls (unfortunately due to the sample size this was only 3 people). Most of the heavy MDMA users studied had abstained for less than a month before the tests. Certainly we could chalk up any scores to individual variation, but the entire sample size for the heavy MDMA users is only 25. Perhaps all of the results can be accounted for by selection bias and individual variation.
The 1998 Parrott Psychopharmacology paper again showed that the 15 MDMA users had worse memory scores on 3 separate tests, but the problem with this and other attempts to study this problem is that the comparison group selection determines the outcome of the comparison and there is no actual 'control' group. This does not invalidate the results, but it weakens them.
What does all of this mean? Where we are in the winter of 2000:
Most of the research published so far has been conducted by researchers attempting to show damage to memory or other attention-based mental tasts. Experimental bias in favor of finding deficits may affect the validity of the extrapolated results.
The study sample sizes have all been very small and the subjects hand chosen by the researchers themselves. Despite *huge* populations of users available in every city of every MDMA using country, no broad based studies have taken place. Hopefully these will come soon to confirm or contradict the memory related risks.
While the memory scores of MDMA users were shown by a couple of the studies to be between 20 and 50% lower than control subjects, the MDMA using subjects themselves did not report any decline that their memory or cognitive abilities. The researchers also report that even the heaviest of MDMA users do not show obvious signs of impaired.
Some research has found there to be no significant difference in cognitive scores between MDMA users and controls.
None of the research is prospective, all of it has been retrospective. No research so far has tested people's memories before and after their MDMA use to determine that it does, in fact, get worse. This means that the differences in scores could be part of a set of pre-existing differences. There could be characteristics which predispose certain individuals to want to use MDMA more heavily.
In some of the research, the education levels of the subjects are matched poorly. In these cases, MDMA users are matched to controls with *higher* levels of education. This could result in a bias towards worse scores for the MDMA users.
Less or no effects on memory and cognition are seen in moderate or light users of MDMA. The MDMA users who are found to have noticeably lower scores have generally been the heaviest users with total lifetime usage in the 200+ range, average dosages per session are often estimated at above 300mg (up to a gram per day), sometimes using 6 or more times per month.
Confusion between long term and short term effects of MDMA confuses the data. While most of the studies suggest their findings may show long term damage, they required only a very minimal (2 or 4 week) period of abstinence from use. Some MDMA users in the general population report feeling after-effects from single MDMA sessions for 2-4 weeks (or more). In order to reasonably make claims about long term memory disruptions, users should be studied after a minimum of two months abstinence if not more.
Although most of the research does not address this, reported short term effects of MDMA use do include attention and memory disruption, as well as depression, mood swings, and other undesireable mental effects for some people. It is not at all hard to imagine that these effects might last for longer periods of time in some portion of those who use MDMA and might occur with more severity for those with extremely heavy use patterns.
Articles in the press, comments by overzealous researchers, and statements by prohibitionist government institutions exaggerate the negative findings and certainty of their evidence.
Conclusion
Despite the uncertainty of and problems with the research published as of March 1, 2000, there is enough evidence to think that heavy MDMA use may cause medium or long term disruptions in short term memory and/or some types of mental fuction. The data so far is too weak to say for certain whether this is true or what percentage of users would be affected. Also, to date, the evidence may suggest that if MDMA use causes any memory or attention changes, the changes are subtle and are more likely the more frequent the use, the higher the dose, and/or the larger the lifetime total use. Unfortunately even the correlation between increased use and increased change is uncertain.
The data is far from conclusive, but certainly suggests caution for those who use MDMA regularly or heavily
Alrite, wise guy, but why did all this come on so suddenly?
There are a couple of theories I have as to why the symptoms of hypervigilance, DP, DR and depression come on so abruptly and sometimes days after any drugs are consumed.
None of us know exactly how MDMA and its close relatives (MDA, MDEA) react with the brain and what all the long-term affects are. However, I have been given the liberty to hypothosize.
Both of my theories are post-traumatic disorders. The reason why this made the most sense to me is because an intense high such as large quantities of MDXX, is quite a shock to to the cerebral functions and I believe that it somehow triggers the Fight-or-Flight response discussed earlier into reacting with your connizant mindstate, like a shifter of a manual car stuck in 5th gear.
Myself, and the people who I have spoken with online have observed visual distortions such as magnification and disturbances in the periphreal vision and in some, aural hallucinations. All of these correspond with ecstacy use. Other symptoms include eating, sleeping, coordination, memory and speech problems.
Post-Trauma Vision Syndrome:
A person who has suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI) or cerebral vascular accident (CVA) may often experience difficulties with balance, spatial orientation, coordination, cognitive function, and speech.
Above is the definition for a disorder usually attributed to persons who have suffered brain damage from concussions or lesions affecting the brain. Oddly enough, it also corresponds with the symptoms brought about from ecstacy use.
Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder
Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) is a natural emotional reaction to a deeply shocking and disturbing experience.
The symptoms of PTSD include:
sleep problems including nightmares and waking early (Narcoleptic fits)
flashbacks and replays which you are unable to switch off
impaired memory, forgetfulness, inability to recall names, facts and dates that are well known to you
impaired concentration
impaired learning ability (eg through poor memory and inability to concentrate)
hypervigilance (feels like but is not paranoia)
exaggerated startle response
irritability, sudden intense anger, occasional violent outbursts
panic attacks
hypersensitivity, whereby every remark is perceived as critical
obsessiveness - the experience takes over your life, you can't get it out of your mind
joint and muscle pains which have no obvious cause
feelings of nervousness, anxiety
reactive depression (not endogenous depression)
excessive levels of shame, embarrassment and guilt
undue fear
low self-esteem and shattered self-confidence
emotional numbness, anhedonia (inability to feel love or joy)
feelings of detachment
avoidance of anything that reminds you of the experience
physical and mental paralysis at any reminder of the experience

(Fact:In the UK, almost a million people are suffering the effects of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD).
Above states the symptoms that bear an uncanny resemblance to the aferaffects of drug abuse. The stress that they mention can be caused by any external source, and in my situation was a negative reaction to an extremely bad experience with meth, followed two weeks later an intense experience with MDA. In all of the subjects that I interviewed, most of these symptoms were apparent, as well as the visual.
Physical abnormalities
This section is a bit of an enigma to many of us since there are very few conclusive studies in regards to the physical complaints resulting from the use of Ecstacy.
Sore Back
This question is brought up quite often, and is constantly subject to the myth that ecstacy affects spinal fluid. All educated sources will confirm that this is indeed a myth, and a sore back is more often than not, result from the exertion of long hours of dancing with a chemically increased pain threshold.
Electrical feeling: Shocks and tingles in the head or back
This complaint has also been discussed intermittantly in the Q and A forum. Tt would seem to correspond with seretonin fluctuations found in those coming off of SSRI antidepressants. There is evidence that the changing levels of seretonin trigger this peculiar sensation in different parts of the body. (More info. is forthcoming)
Pimples or rashes
Submitted by Drug Dustbin
I was in contact with professor Uwe Wollina, who is one of the authors of
the Ecstasy pimples - a new facial dermatosis -article published in Dermatology.
He told me that he has encountered only one additional case last year, but he has
heard that the pimples occur more often indeed.
Here's a short quote from his e-mail to me:
"I would not say that the rash is the first sign of an increased risk of severe side-effects but may come along with them. To my belief, XTC pimples are far more common than reported but have been overseen because of lack of importance for prognosis". Endquote
Up to 10 per cent of Caucasians lack an enzyme that protects the liver from damage caused by ecstasy.
An article found at www.brainmachines.com suggests evidence that the lack of CYP2D6 liver enzyme may be linked with rashes and e.
Weight Loss
Seretonin, while key in regulating sleeping patterns and mood, also has a role to play in appetite. 5HTP, an herbal supplement primarily used here for pre and postload to curb depression, has also been used as a dietary supplement. This suggests that any increase in seretonin is somehow relative to decrease in appetite. There is also evidence to suggest long term effects on metabolism, as your body fights to compensate after discontinuing use of ecstacy.
Gotcha, but what can I do to make this shit go away, or prevent it from happening to me?
The fact is, folks is that when this hits, it will literally consume your life. You are constantly obsessed with your mental condition and desperately search for ways to stop it, all the while dealing with much personal blame and guilt.
There are two routes to take, depending on your own discretion: Prescription and non-prescription.
Prescription Anti-depressants, anti-convulsants, Benzos, etc.. - More than a few people on this board and in the drug-consuming free world have taken this method in attempts to retrieve their former sanity. I don't condemn or condone this method, but just keep in mind that drugs are what got you here in the first place.
Remember, it's important not to self-diagnose. If you're unable to handle your altered state, it's important that you see a physician as early as possible and let him/her prescribe and/or refer you as they see fit.
Non-prescription - This obviously isn't a quick answer to your problems but it was my personal choice and I'm happy that I chose it. The solution is abstinance. Do not consume any drugs, (including alcohol) that will distort the reality that you're attempting to retrieve.
Is MDXX the only substance that can cause this?
With most of the people I have spoke with, LSD leans more toward the visual disruptions and Methamphetamines are the leading cause of hypervigilance and anxiety. MDXX is the only substance I have encountered that causes all of the symptoms cited above.
Will I get better?
Barring an unfortunate predisposition and assuming you've quit using, then I can tell you first hand that things will sort out in time.
I am currently taking an SSRI and I'm feeling much better, can't I just have one little tiny pill?
NO, Dammit! And the same goes for subsyndromal epilepsy sufferers, and those who have a family history of mental vulnerabilities. I have personally read some accounts of people suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) having thier symptoms worsen after using ecstacy -- It's important to take this into consideration before you decide to dose if you're unhealthy.
While that concluded this FAQ, if you have any personal questions or comments, feel free to mail me at [email protected]
[This message has been edited by Kyk (edited 16 March 2001).]

Before you move this to the FAQ forum, I wanted to get some responses to the thread first.
Thanks Mods.
smile.gif

Kyk.
[This message has been edited by Kyk (edited 14 March 2001).]

Meg - Yes, definitely. Any added stress in your environment couldn't be handled as easily as if you were in a more stable condition.
If you're not feeling sorted, most psychologists would recommend discarding any extra stressors in your lifestyle. It's extremely difficult to deal with yourself when everyone else is demanding your attention and approval.
Kyk.

On depersonalization:
I have experienced this once since I have been rolling. It was one of the most troubling periods of my life. There are no words to explain what it is like to walk around and have this peircing sensation that "nothing looks or feels right".
Here is the truly compelling part:
---------------------------------------
I have been taking ecstasy on again and off again for almost 10 years and never have that happen until last year. Nothing changed in my normal dose, two pills during the course of a night. However, what did change is the fact that I tried the Prozac post load. I took 20mg before I went to bed, and then, took another 20mg the next night before I went to bed. The next day, I felt weird. Slowly, over the course of a week, the depersonalization became worse, to the point where I was ready to check myself into psyciatric care. Over the next two weeks, the symptoms disappeared, though I did not completely feel normal for about 8 weeks.
I have since taken ecstasy since that episode and have no other depersonalization accounts.
My question to anyone qualifed to answer is, could the Prozac somehow have triggered this. I am NOT ruling out ecstasy as the cause of the problem however, I can tell you that since that experience I have not touched Prozac.
---------------------------------------

hey fantastic FAQ Kyk!
is this faq meant to just cover that particular range of feelings, or all negative post-mdma experiences? cuz if it's the latter, you might want to consider adding in some info about anxiety, sleep problems like twitching, night terrors, and that electrical feeling in the head some ppl seem to get. we get a lot of questions about those things.
esp the anxiety one tho cuz thats really common, and can come in all varieties. i have an anxiety reaction after taking way too much e once, and all i seem to get is trembling hands and feeling of weakness. no racing heart or anything like that. it took me ages to figure out what was wrong w/ me. i know quite a few others have experienced trembling and other forms of anxiety/panic attacks since taking mdma
with the post traumatic stress disorder theory... i wonder if ppl w/ ptsd have lower serotonin levels similar to mdma users? cuz i was thinking about it, and serotonin makes you feel very relaxed, it aids your sleep etc.. not what you need if you're under extreme stress! so maybe the stress that caused ptsd has somehow caused permanantly lowered serotonin levels, as we know mdma use/abuse can - but not because mdma or drugs are stressful, just by their action on the neurons (acid also affects the serotonin system, i believe)- so same effects by different means.
this doesnt explain meth tho... also, i'm thinking about how this would work for someone who gets these probs but did *not* have a negative drug expeience to trigger it. my exp was negative and stressful, its amazing i got away w/ just trembling, but thats not the case for everyone.
anyways i'm spouting crap cuz i'm not a doctor or even very knowledgable in that area so i'll stop now. interesting parallels there tho
smile.gif

ummm omega_underscore: thats pretty interesting. i take a prozac postload everytime i roll. i wonder what made that happen to you, but not to others like me? esp since you've rolled since w/ no probs.. did you take a break after you had that experience? maybe it was due to happen anyways, and the prozac was just badly timed? i dont blame you for not wanting to try again to find out tho =)
anyways, this is a fantastic thread. we could maybe make an associated leangthy post about how to deal w/ these feelings - like a "coping" FAQ. lots of ppl who've been thru bad times have ways of coping and realisations from their experience that would help others. n sometimes just a lil bit of support and a reminder that it will end can work wonders
smile.gif
if anyone wants to work on something like that, i'll certainly contribute some things i do that help me get thru anxiety and depression times
smile.gif

take care everyone =)

Kyk... First I want to applaud you for putting all of this together, you did a wonderful job. Thank you.
I've been steadily doing E (and pretty much any other substance I could get my hands on) for almost two years now. First it was few times a week, then a few times a month as my tolerance grew. (Familiar story...)
In October, I started to suffer from panic attacks and anxiety, and had the first of many "bad trips" where I suffered a complete loss from reality and unbelievable fear. (You'd think I'd stop doing the drugs, right?) Hehe... not this girl. Nope, I continued on, ignoring the negative effects in a quest to prove to myself that I could handle it.
Long story short? I freaked out several times, once so bad that I was institutionalized after running into the highway naked, completely sure that I was *at that moment* going to die.
Now, months later, I still suffer from severe anxiety and panic attacks, not to mention more than a few of the various physical ailments that you named in your post. The hypervigialance you mentioned... oh yeah, I know all about that. *nod* And the whole feeling of things being unreal. And paranoia... I watch TV, and if someone is talking about death, I start to panic as if it were a direct reference to my own demise. *sigh* Crazy, huh?
I'm finally sober, seeing a therapist, and trying to get my life back. I regret that it took living in hell to make me value my life, but I do now. I really appreciate your post... I guess it gives me hope to hear from someone who has had a similar experience and recovered.
-Flower
[This message has been edited by Flower (edited 15 March 2001).]

Thank you Flower, atomica, underscore and Meg for your responses.
Actually, anxiety itself I found, came as a side-affect to the other symptoms mentioned. I found that when I was able to snap out of a detatched mindstate, the anxiety dispersed along with the other symptoms.
As far as trembling, twitching and night terrors, I also suffered from these to, but I also credited these to anxiety. I remember the electric sensation in my lower back as well.
As far as the sleeping disorders, I wrote a short article citing a few interesting notes a couple months ago that's worth a read.
Sleeping Problems?
I've done some research regarding the problems that seem to occur in some MDMA users who experience sleeping problems, sleep paralysis, and narcolepsy. http://www.medfak.uu.se/fysiologi/Lectures/REMSleep.html
Note in this article:
quote:
In young adults REM sleep occupies about 25% of sleep time. The first episode of REM sleep occurs fairly regularly 80-90 minutes after falling asleep. This time is often shortened in depression.
When attaining R.E.M sleep, the body experiences muscle twitching, sleep paralysis, and if conscious, auditory and visual hallucinations. This might relate to Alpha pattern abnormalities observed in EEG scans of depressed patients. If you're still functioning on a conscious level when this state occurs or certain symptoms of this state such as sleep paralysis, it can be quite alarming and disorienting.
I theorize that the depression caused by MDMA and changes or abnormalities in brain chemical flow may disrupt this natural cycle.
Also, this article explains in more complex detail the patterns of sleep and its different stages. http://home.epix.net/~tcannon1/Physioweek7.htm
These are the symptoms shown in narcoleptics.
quote:
cataplexy - momentary paralysis without loss of consciousness occurring in association with sudden emotional reactions
sleep paralysis - occasionally episodes when patient cannot move, occurring just before or after sleep
hypnagogic hallucinations - particularly vivid auditory or visual hallucinations
Perhaps there is a connection between Depression, MDMA and sleeping disorders that's yet to be discovered.

Kyk - great accumulation of info.
smile.gif

I know studies are inconclusive as of yet, but maybe you should include something in regards to memory impairment? I know that many people have voiced concerns over decreased ability to recall vocabulary or certain facts. I believe erowid has a section detailing various studies done to test the role of MDMA/serotonin-depletion on memory formation.
*Pixie*

Pixie, good point.. I guess I forgot
wink.gif
to mention that.
Thank you, I'll check out eirowid and add that to my post before I put it in the FAQ forum.
This post will be redone also to add a section for physical abnormalities.
I'm still open to suggestions, too.
Kyk.
[This message has been edited by Kyk (edited 15 March 2001).]

Kyk, for me, the only symptom i have is the anxiety attacks, the dont appear to be attached to anything else.. i havent had any other negative effect at all (that i can tell.)
that was a pretty interesting write up on the sleep problems. actually, i remember reading about disturbed sleep patterns & REM cycles (i'm bipolar so i'm personally interested =). i hope you are going to add that to your initial thread, cuz i think a lot of people would be really interested in it and benefit from it - i think it would put some minds at rest
smile.gif

Kyk, thank you again for another very educating and informative read!!! Well done.
wink.gif

I have narcolepsy, (not MDMA related, I was diagnosed and began meds years ago) and just wanted to add something to the info on narcoleptic symptoms and MDMA.
Without a doubt, my symptoms, particularly sleep paralysis and cataplexy, have increased ENORMOUSLY with MDMA usage.
I also noticed a marked decrease in symptoms when I was on a break from MDMA, so I have no doubt that there is a definite link there.
If anyone has any questions about narcoleptic symptoms, feel free to email me at [email protected].

i would also like to add that MDMA usage ( even at about 6 pills/year) for 2 years has made my obsessive-compulsive disorder significantly worse.
i also believe that i may have suffered metabolic effects -- i.e., now the weight i stabilize at is heavier than before my MDMA usage.
------------------
"I could not/Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither/Living nor dead, and I knew nothing" - T.S. Eliot, The Wasteland

Hey Kyk,
what a fantastic FAQ !!! I think it would be a very good idea to have a FAQ copeing with Deppression/anixety.
After taking only one MDMA pill I started to suffer from some sort of depression & severe anxiety and panic attacks. I very rarely leave the house because i have a fear of something, but i don't know what. If someone makes even the smallest critism or joke about me i take it really personnally & dwell on it for ages. I loose my temper very quickly. The smallest things can set my heart racing at a million miles an hour. In fact after (stupidly) taking another pill, i started to panic, my pulse rate went through the roof. No happyness/euphora, it took loads of valium just to calm me down. The next day my eye site was a little blurry and my left arm was num. Did i burst some blood vessles in my brain or something ?
I have been to the doctor a dozen times.
I've tried almost everything, all the SSRI's for many months, but they made me feel worse, very paranoide (kept thinking i was going to die for some reason).
I'm beggining to loose hope, i'm thired of going to the doctors every week waiting around for hours only to be told SSRI is the best thing. I'm beggining to think that I know more about Depression & medication than him after reading up on bluelight & other places.
Very sorry to bore you guys out there, but I really need to know what to do. Is there by any chance a new medication that can cure depression or repair serointon axons & what ever 5ht site is connected to anixety/panic.
Its the 21 centry, there must be something out there better than 20 year SSRI's which in my opinon simply cover up the depression (plugging the sertonin from leaving) which will build up for later when i try to get off it, my body will be used to reusing Serotin (because of the ssri blocking the reuptake.) Thus leaving my brain even more fucked, and there's no way i'm staying on them for the rest of my life. and i can tell you that withdraw even after taping off the dose slowly is hell.
Any advice would be great

Evil Twin - I'm glad you mentioned this - I, and a few other dedicated Bluelighters are currently working on a forum dedicated to the psychological and emotional problems caused from drug use. Gauging from the responses I've gotten from this thread alone, I can see that Griff was on to something when he suggested it -
Kyk.

O.K. The finished product is done. -- I'd like to thank everyone for sharing their suggestions and critisizm.
Kyk.

I'M THE EVIL TWIN: that sucks regarding your anxiety/paranoia. what i'm guessing is that you had an innate predisposition towards anxiety/mental disorder and doing e pushed you over the edge. a similar thing occurred to me w/ obsessive-compulsive symptoms, i believe.
UNDERSCORE_OMEGA: the depersonalization could definately be at least partly due to prozac. i've definately had some depersonalization w/prozac (when i took it for about 2 months, 40 mg/day). prozac is pretty evil & destructive, in my opinion.
------------------
"I could not/Speak, and my eyes failed, I was neither/Living nor dead, and I knew nothing" - T.S. Eliot, The Wasteland