• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

facing death and choosing a way of life

Psyduck

Bluelighter
Taking the "what if you had 60 seconds to live thread" to another level.

Question 1:
- What if you were diagnosed with cancer and are terminally ill; you have exactly one year to live. How would you spend it? In other words, what would become the most essential in your life? In ordinary life we're engaged in a manifold of life-projects, but we forget that our choices are limited. What would become (in the above situation) the most valuable/essential choice among the manifold of remaing life choices?

Question 2:
- Why aren't you doing this right now?

* Personally, I wouldn't spend my last days striving for self-sufficiency, personal ambitions or maximizing pleasure. I would probably spend my remaining time in service for the other, trying to help and love others as much as possible. Paradoxically, even when I'm not terminally ill right now, I'm still facing death, and I choose my life differently. Actually, the situation is not that different, life-spans are relative. I'm unsure why I'm giving priority to my own ambitions and self-sufficiency whereas, clearly, I find being there for the other much more valuable when facing death. Can one step out of this paradox?

Last edited:
Take out a massive loan and travel the entire world w/ anybody that wanted to come. Then die in the Tibetan mountains while meditating.

I would tell my family and friends how much I love them. Work/school/etc. would be immediately put aside.

you have exactly one year to live. How would you spend it? In other words, what would become the most essential in your life?

1. Mind
2. Body
3. Spirit
4. Music
5. Knowledge
6. Business

Why aren't you doing this right now?

I am.

As for others? Good question!

write up a big good bye note. then probably put myself out pleasantly with drugs

1:
I would dedicate as much time as necessary - the remainder of my life if need be - to creating a piece of music that communicates the essence (the feeling, rather than the meaning) of everything I hold to be true about mind, existence and spirit.

2:
Because like most others, I can't see the end coming right now, and thus find myself unmotivated.
Because I'm still struggling to dig myself out of the cultural programming that maintains us in a state of service to society at large.

Fuck it.

I'm going to go write some goddamn music.

Id get buzzed>wasted everyday on various substances like Tim Leary did with close loved ones around.

I dont do this now because I cant. I dont feel a need to explain lol

Finding god.
I'm doing it now but I'm gonna take it up a notch.
While doing this I would be with the one I love where I love :)

Finding god.
I'm doing it now but I'm gonna take it up a notch.
While doing this I would be with the one I love where I love :)

what 'god' are you referring too? obviously there is some creator/god...but there is no way of knowing what or who lol

1) no cancer is terminal, only western ignorance. I would immediately begin a theraputic diet, and maintain confidence that my inner chi is strong enough to destroy the malignancy inside of me.

i have faith that within weeks of medicinal dieting, meditating, physical fitness training, and appropriate exposure to enough ionized energy sources, i could remove this perverted biomass from within my body

2) i am. just yesterday i was admiring the new skill i have achieved in combat meditation, and the development in my ability to remove my ego in any situation in life, regardless of stress level. i am well on the way to my dream of a boundless life, where i am capable of wandering this beautiful world with no barriers whatsoever. my hands can deliver life and death with just a touch, and my exterior blends with the world around me in such a way that i am able to move without restraint.

my greatest fear in life is not-living

my greatest fear in life is not-living

Just curious, would you say that the entirety of human civilisation represents the ripples and complications of some primordial, initial decision to not-live (while alive)?

question 1: I would live a fucked up life going to parties rooting chicks, getting high, putting bricks through windows, egging cars and houses etc, just go crazy.

question 2: Because it's pissing with rain and I have controlling parents.

jump off a building strapped to as many fireworks as possible (no one would see that someone was dying.. they would see a beautiful firework show and be in awe of it)

im not doing it now because im not about to die.

Take out a massive loan and travel the entire world w/ anybody that wanted to come. Then die in the Tibetan mountains while meditating.

^^
This. Around the world with family and friends deepening our mutual relationships and love for one another, then try and confront death without fear.

Taking the "what if you had 60 seconds to live thread" to another level.

Question 1:
- What if you were diagnosed with cancer and are terminally ill; you have exactly one year to live. How would you spend it? In other words, what would become the most essential in your life? In ordinary life we're engaged in a manifold of life-projects, but we forget that our choices are limited. What would become (in the above situation) the most valuable/essential choice among the manifold of remaing life choices?

Question 2:
- Why aren't you doing this right now?

* Personally, I wouldn't spend my last days striving for self-sufficiency, personal ambitions or maximizing pleasure. I would probably spend my remaining time in service for the other, trying to help and love others as much as possible. Paradoxically, even when I'm not terminally ill right now, I'm still facing death, and I choose my life differently. Actually, the situation is not that different, life-spans are relative. I'm unsure why I'm giving priority to my own ambitions and self-sufficiency whereas, clearly, I find being there for the other much more valuable when facing death. Can one step out of this paradox?

I love these questions, really puts my life into perspective!

1) First I would quit my job and take care of any loose ends I had open at the time. At the moment most of my immediate family is split up on each coast (CA and NJ). I would spend as much time with my little sister and brothers as possible. I would spend time with everyone that I love and make the most of what I have left. I would travel if it was an available option to me.

2) I'm not doing this now because I'm not dying and I can't quit my job and stop paying bills if I'll be here for the consequences. I can't go to Jersey as often as I'd like to see my siblings cause I work five days a week. Traveling, that's definitely on my mind, just need to save up for trips.

thanks for the post Psyduck,

-djstrip