• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Extracting hypericin from St. John's

plumbus-nine

Bluelighter
As there are different compounds responsible for the imo most limiting side effect, phototoxicity, and for the beneficial effects, I thought about the possibility of extracting either hypericin (causing toxicity) and using the remainder, or extracting hyperforin - whatever's easier. Possibly done without the need for expensive equipment.

Maybe this way I could push the dosage a bit further. The balanced profile sounds very interesting, yet many stop due to side effects or inefficacy.

Any experiences or info? 🙂

I've always been curious of this herb. Never delved into the chemicals. Interested to hear.

lol might as well take placebo pills. hypericin, or more like, st john's worthLESS is quite the joke in helping anyone with real severe depression. placebo can also help those with mild or weak depressive symptoms. more likely than this crap.
i remember in the early 00s st john wortless and gingko biloba were like the most talked about advertised herbs ever. i still think to this day gingko probably most likely has still some potential, but not so much for poor old st john :(

225px-Hyperforin2DACS.svg.png
200px-Hypericin2DACS.svg.png

hyperforin and hypericin

Well the commercial caps are effectively an active placebo imo, this is why I am interesting in getting more out of it. In theory, it looks interesting, a 5-reuptake inhibitor and MAOI and while I expected all sorts of side effects from taking these cheap pills here (780mg, as far as I understand, not even an extract - you're supposed to take 6/day, of course I've gone 12/day), what I got was a slight but definitely active stimulation (the most potent activity is, unfortunately, at NET).

At least when crossing the threshold for MAOI, you absolutely should feel something.

Gingko is another one of these herbs I've sorted out without trying, 'cause they're too famous for having real effect and stuff, but after reading that combining gingko with ginseng (the correct one, there are many ginsengs, and seemingly most of them are active, but in differing ways) should give you dopaminergic energy, they went on my to-do list :)

But priority for now is Polygala Tenuifolia, apparently containing a triple reuptake inhibitor (DA < 5-HT < NE) and a NMDA blocker - the latter made me instantly favoring this & there's no phototoxicity. Yet some say it's actually antidopaminergic. :/

Last edited: