• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Explaining the Dysphoria of Opiate Withdrawals to non-users

Valentine4

Bluelighter
SUBJECT:

Dysphoria is the worst symptom of Opiate withdrawals for me. Frustratingly, it is also something that feels impssible to explain someone who has never experienced tje Dysphoria of the withdrawals from a drug that I induces Euphoria
(something equally hard to explain*)

NOTE: I'll be using Opiate and Opioid interchangeably in this, so just a heads-up.

PREFACE:

Below is the numbered process (you can skip to the "Process" section if you'd like) that I use to explain the Dysphoria of Opiate withdrawals (and other drugs) to non opiate-users, who have thus never experienced it (the explanation process cpuld apply in explaining the Dysphoria felt in any euphoric-substance withdrawal; and it even applies purely sedative drug withdrawals as well to an extent, but opiate's withdrawals have the most "anti-pleasure", true "dysphoric" feelings - with other sedatives the WD's are still described as dysphoric, but more in the way they indice unrelenting feelings of Anxiety and Panic, not just what I call "euphoria's opposite" - but there also purely anti-pleasure aspect to a degree as well, especially if your reacts euphorically to things like alcohol or barbiturates - ask me how I know)

Woth Dysphoria being the opposite of Euphoria (something that is also near impossible to describe/explain* unless you have felt it - though there is one natural euphoria humans can feel comparable to drug euphoria*), Dysphoria is essentially feelings total feeling of whatever the polar opposite of feeljng good, and a feeling where you are unable to obtain the sensation of not feeling awful. As you can see though words don't do justice the sheer suffering that is the mental state of opiate withdrawals. So people need an example where they have felt Dysphoria themselves, and there is actually one natural dysphoric state I can think of that is oft overlooked as a dysphoric state...

PROCESS:

To explain the Dysphoria of Opiate wothdrawls to someone whos never felt them, I use the one example I can think of where non-users encounter Dysphoria (though for some reason, the textbooks don't list a symptom of the example):

To explain the Dysphoria of Opiate withdrawals to the non opioid-user, I ask them to think back on an experience we have ALL had - this is explanation process:

1. Tell them: Recall how you felt when you have had the worst nausea in your life. Recal then the feeling of severe nausea when it's not abating no matter what; where you either can't vomit/defecate, or you did or can defecate/vomit, but still feel the sensation of nausea​

2. Have them recall the inexplicable feeling of discomfort, anti-pleasure, unwellness, or sheer feeling of "feeling unwell", when they are in that state of Nausea that will not go away. Where cannot expel the toxins, and the only thought on your mind is:

"This is horrible suffering, this nausea is torture and is not going away. All I can do is sit here and suffer in a way that words cannot describe, only feeling this way yourself can describe this feeling of unabating nausea"

3. Now explain to them that that feeling of this is what one would call Dysphoria.​
Explain that this is quasi-equivalent to the internal feelings of Opiate withdrawals: sheer suffering in mind, but accompanied by suffering of the body as well (but those physical parts are to explain). Have them recall the feeling of the worst nausea has ever made them feel, and have them think about how badly they wanted it end, and what they wouldn't do to stop it. And have them think about the relief they felt when the nausea finally subsided, either by time or vomtting/defecation.​

4. Explain to them that nausea's Dysphoric feeling is not entirely dissimilar to to the Dysphoria of Opiate withdrawals. But explain to them, that only cure for Opiate dysphoria is to dose yourself with the opioid, and only then does the utter torture of the Dysphoria cease (along woth other HORRIBLE physical withdrawal symptoms, which also make one feel more dysphoric)... lest you think you could telolerate this worst suffering for days or weeks on end, but quitting opiates cd turkey. Then, just maybe, they can understand how hard it is to just quit Opioids.

BUT also explain that the opioid not only stops you from feeling the worst a human a can feel, both physically & mentally (the dysphoria), but that taking the opiate also you switches to feeling the opposite, to feeling the best a human feel: pure unadulterated pleasure: Euphoria.

EUPHORIA DESCRIBED:

~~EXTRA SECTION~~

*Side note - Explaining Euphoria: Explaining Opiate euphoria, I think, is even harder to explain accurately. But the one natural way a human can feel accute Euphoria is obvious: via orgasm. I would explain thay the indescribable feeling of mental pleasure during orgasm, is the closest a non-user can come to a drug-induced euphoria - since that the is only natural euphoria that truly approaches the acuity of drug-based Euphoria.

Last edited: