• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Expiration on Tussionex Pennkinetic

pinkimarie55

Greenlighter
I found some 15 year old Tussionex Pennkinetic syrup (expired 2001). It's been stored in a dark, cool medicine cabinet for the entire time, but is any concern for the syrup going 'bad'? I gave it a wiff and it smells a little sour, but I'm not sure what brand new tussionex pennkinetic would smell like so I'm not sure if that's right. I've read that drug expiration can affect potency, but would there be any other negative effects of consuming it?

Unless some virulent germ is growing in there I dont think it will hurt you. Most drugs are still fully active long past their expiration but a suspension like Tussionex may not last as long. It usually smells kinda sweet but a bit medicine like (big surprise). I think its pineapple flavor? But if it stinks, Id probably leave it alone.

Unless some virulent germ is growing in there I dont think it will hurt you. Most drugs are still fully active long past their expiration but a suspension like Tussionex may not last as long. It usually smells kinda sweet but a bit medicine like (big surprise). I think its pineapple flavor? But if it stinks, Id probably leave it alone.

The smell is a little weird to me, not the normal 'medicine' smell per say... However, I took a little taste of it and it's only sweet, no sour or off taste at all (actually has a slight pineapple flavor, weird). Otherwise, the color is the gold color I've read it should be, not cloudy, no particles floating around in it.... It's also very thick... Is that normal? I've had experience with other suspensions like Vicodin and cheratussin and they are definitely more watery.

Cheratussin is a syrup which means its a solution in which the solvent is sugar based. The particle size of the solute (drug) is small and wont settle or fall out of suspension. Tussionex is a suspension, in which the particle size of the drug is larger and can fall out of suspension upon rest. Thus the solvent vehicle is generally thicker to help offset this and you need to shake it (apply shear if I remember my pharmaceutics) to get ensure the drug is actually in the suspension. Tussionex is pretty thick which may have something to do with the extended release mechanism but not 100% sure.