• Welcome Guest

Forum Guidelines Bluelight Rules
    Fun 💃 Threads Overdosed? Click
    D R U G   C U L T U R E

Ex Junkies who have gone back to school or changed careers - How's things going along you journey?

Working_Class

Bluelighter
I've been going through a big transition in my life. From being a boiler operator with a power engineering certificate after being a service rig hand for a year and a half around 2012 to 2013, steel stud framing and Interior Systems Mechanics before and after that, drywall was where my construction career started and it devolved from there, competitive lifting, Jr plant operator at waste treatment facilities for oil field waste, Jr plant operator for Canada malting etc etc. It's been a long hard journey, and I've always felt trapped in labor trades, because when I was young, I dropped out to go to work because school felt like a prison. And my one marketable skill was the ability to work very hard physically, and endure uncomfortable situations regularly.

After dropping out, I pursued my various career niches with as much enthusiasm as possible, finding that I was at a physical disadvantage however, because I was so small and weak when I started. When I started drywalling, I was about 170 lbs and started training and eating to gain weight and perform better at work, be in less back pain, and also for aesthetic reasons. There was a point when I was 20 when I finally hit 222 lbs without being on anabolics, but I still had on again off again back pain that was very hard to ignore, it would take me out for weeks at a time, and something had to change for me to continue to progress. It had been suggested to me that I try testosterone to help with the rehab process. So, that's what I did, my lifts at the time wren't incredible, my squat was 430 lbs, bench was 275 lbs, deadlift was 505 lbs and overhead was 225 x 5. 2 years later I weighed in at 260 lbs (gained 90 lbs of bodyweight), deadlifted my first 700, benched 365 x 5, could press 305 x 3 full clean and press and squatted 605, and things just kept getting heavier from there until injuries started piling up year after year. It was a pretty dramatic transformation, work became less and less important to me as lifting took priority in my life, and then things kept spiraling out of control in that direction for about a decade. My job choices were directed at gaining as much money as possible to feed my competitive habit, but I still worked lots of overtime and weekends, sleeping less than I should have, taking pills to wake up and for pain, and eventually started to IV opiates and get into fentanyl. I spent every minute of my time trying to eat as much as possible, train as much as possible, go for physical therapy, fly to competitions. It was just another hardcore addiction, and it was just on top of everything else that I was into, which was my ADHD medication, opiates, and all kinds of other drugs at some point or another, often used to help increase my productivity beyond a normal physiological limit. I treated my body like it was invincible, and at the young age of 30, oh buddy am I feeling the pain. I've had about 15 friends pass away along this journey, and I got very lucky with a few close calls myself. It was like Russian roulette daily. I've even IV'd opiates in rush hour traffic on the way home from work. It was just completely out of fucking control.

Since all that, I had moved cities to get away from the whole culture and life I built, maybe even to escape my self manufactured identity. I stayed on testosterone and competed for another 2 years, and just saw a decline in my performance over time, things were just breaking down because of day in day out construction, on top of hard training. The injuries were just piling up so fast that I couldn't keep it up. I was still using opiates (on again off again, it was never a constant thing, more intermittent as I also had a budget to adhere to) to help me get through working in the winter pouring rain on the west coast which is a lot colder then you might imagine. With sore feet, knees, back injuries, chronic shoulder issues, spit cracking skin, I was in so much pain physically, but mentally, I was suffering as well. I was stuck here, backed into this trade making a good wage, but in so much pain from the moment I open my eyes in the morning, to the second I went to sleep, and drugs, rehabilitation exercise, the sauna and liquor were some of the only things that got me any relief. It was pushing my thoughts to suicide regularly, mixing xanex with liquor steadily at one point, being put in situations at work that would never be put on a single man, but because I had built a reputation as a human forklift, they would just assign some of the most difficult tasks, like moving hundreds of sheets of drywall through buildings with no elevator by myself for months, or framing under staircases, or moving huge piles of steel material. There were normal days, sure, but I did get used like I was impervious to pain and fatigue, partly because I was pushing it so hard. It was just expected day in and day out. Give em an inch, they'll take a mile.

I quit steroids about 14 months ago, 2 months before my 30th birthday. I had announced that I was going to be leaving the trade to upgrade and prepare to build a career in physical therapy (made total sense because my daily pain was pushing me to suicidal tendencies), I've done a few part time jobs and renovations, generally gotten by for the last year while upgrading all the courses I had abandoned in the past due to disinterest. I'm at the stage now where I'm ready to jump into college for the next career I'll be getting into, have been clean off steroids for 14.5 months, I weigh 205 lbs which is a nice healthy weight for me, my blood pressure is much more stable (it was high, like VERY high all my competitive career, plus recreational drugs etc. It's a miracle I'm still alive), I've been acing all of my courses, off opiates, I drink much less, I have been way more balanced in general developing better financial habits to help stretch my limited income in a way that is sustainable for a student. I've done quite well, and I'm just about to go back to framing for a year to just focus on work, personal habits, financial preparation, and feel out the market and see how the market for physical therapy recovers over the next year (since the Corona has devastated the person to person contact market).

It's been a good year. It costed a lot of money financially, but I'm a better man for it, and I'm looking forward to doing my old job, for which I am fully equipped tool wise, and more importantly, mentally. My body is still in a significant amount of pain from my past choices, but my mental state is much more sustainable, and there isn't the same feeling of hopelessness and permanence as my role as a permanent laborer who is destined to toil in pain for the rest of his life. I don't want to kill myself anymore, I have a future, things are looking up, but it took a MASSIVE commitment to leave my past identity behind, lose a grand total of 50 lbs of muscle, accept myself as I am, and invest in developing myself for the possibility of helping others manage their chronic pain, so they can lead more active and fulfilling lives. It's all come full circle, and there is still about 4 years of work left before I get to the next licensed professional career, but there is a lot of promise, habits have changed, things are headed in a good direction.

I feel like a lot of people are on the fence in a life they are afraid to commit to change, The greater point is, if you want something, you have to fully commit yourself to that goal, bite down with everything you've got, and never let go. Just fucking go for it, the clock is ticking, you only have so much time in this world, and life is far too short to do something that makes you want to constantly escape, or lust for death, or relief from your day to day life. It's not easy, but it's a very worthwhile investment in yourself. So, I encourage you, if you are stuck in a difficult situation, to make a strategy to get to a place that is healthier for yourself.

Last edited:
I feel like a lot of people are on the fence in a life they are afraid to commit to change, The greater point is, if you want something, you have to fully commit yourself to that goal, bite down with everything you've got, and never let go. Just fucking go for it, the clock is ticking, you only have so much time in this world, and life is far too short to do something that makes you want to constantly escape, or lust for death, or relief from your day to day life. It's not easy, but it's a very worthwhile investment in yourself. So, I encourage you, if you are stuck in a difficult situation, to make a strategy to get to a place that is healthier for yourself.

I was delivering flowers in a family business till I was 33. I had a friend who was a software developer that kept coaxing me to learn how to code. So I went to CHUBB back in 1997. THe whole Y2K thing made a lot of people change careers as they thought they would need programmers. I failed the entrance test to the school, got like a 40. I wanted to go full time, 6 hours a day 5 days a week for a year as opposed to 4 years at night. So they made me promise that since I failed the entrance they would put me full time with a commitment to work my butt off. Well as turned out I ended up the highest grader in the class. Programming is logic. The entrance test had algebra lol. I can't do math. Math is for computers. lol But I ended up graduating with honors and have been a developer every since. Now I too can be a corporate monkey and make a lot of other greedy people rich unless I want to start my own company. The point is, even with a life of addiction you can keep going. I still had (have) opiate issues all through the years but anyone can do anything they want. It is important to remain hunble. I know too many self important people in the corporate world that are not human anymore. And we did not come to this Earth to climb the corporate ladder, we came to be human beings first.

Success is not the CEO that clawed and screwed his greedy ass to the top. People would make you think that. Success is being a human being and present when you need to be. Tending to humans as humans and not numbers on a chart. Most forget that though. I would rather live in a box than claw my way to the top of a corporate ladder on the backs and well being of other human beings. On your death bed you will not say to yourself "I wish I had gotten the client that last report", you are going to say "I wish I were kinder in that situation". Perspective.

I spent 20k on an accounting degree and don't use it (i do use things I learned from the experience and ppl o.met through it). I loved university but before you go back to school. Think about if it's really worth it, maybe one of these presidents will come along and use our taxes for it, but until then there are plenty of good trades that pay well and don't require the capital and are just as, if not more, fulfilling/enlightening/joy providing

Reactions: R3K
I think there is a lot to be saId for study, or some intellectually engaging pursuits, for many addicts. It takes up a lot of your internal mental bandwidth that is otherwise tied up with all the things that make you use - your obsessions, your anxieties, your loneliness. About 5 years ago I was retired from work on disability grounds (mental illness) living in a regional city and fell into using IV meth which became all-consuming (as it does). I did lot’s of things to crack the habit but the thing that really helped was moving back to a big city and enrolling in a Masters degree in a completely different field.

I was much older than most of the other students - who were very professional and square unlike when I first went to university and developed my taste for drugs. However, over two years I blitzed the course and was awarded the University Medal for first place in the cohort. I was then offered a fully-paid place to go onto a PhD. I have to say I pretty much ever thought about drugs the whole time I was doing it. It’s only in the last year when I lacked face-to-face class time and was doing a lot of fieldwork that I busted and got into drugs again. All-in-all the study gave me about 4 years clean.

I understand in the US where education fees are so high doing this is not an option for many people. But I think any organised, structured activity that gives you social contact with normal people and encourages you to use your brain is a great aid in living a straight life. If I couldn’t study I would volunteer somewhere to get the same benefit.

Things are going good, when I was using drugs, I had my own business. And when you have your own business, you can do whatever you want, and I ended up doing a lot of drugs. So once I became sober, I decided to look for a job, and I did, now I'm working for a small marketing company. Things are ok sober. I went to living a fast life of doing lots of drugs, and going out all the time. To just going to work at then back home. In fact I been home for the last 4 months all day long, beside going for a long walk.

I was addicted to opiates, 200mg of morphine daily, from age 15-22. Then I got on Suboxone. Went and got my truck driver's license and did local delivery at $26/hour working 40-60 hours a week for the past 4 years. Then I quit after saving up money and finished college for Web Design and now am making almost double as much as I was truck driving and most importantly, finally in a career I love not just for the salary.
And my wife I married and had a son and daughter with I have been with since I was 20, so she endured the last 2 years of my morphine addiction. Then I got my inhiertance and purchased a 3 bedroom 3 bathroom house out in the county somewhat mostly suburbs of my city, got a wonderful new car, and now save all of my money instead of blowing everything I have and don't have. Got my credit score up from nothing to 818.
My life got drastically better after I got sober and only God knows where I would be still actively addicted so thank God.
I also ditched ALL of my dealers long ago which was crucial in never having a relapse. And found an awesome doctor that will keep me on the two medications I even remotely care about that seem to keep my life in balance as well.
I still take Suboxone and Klonopin at 8mgs/day and 0.5mgs a day, but otherwise I am completely sober. And I have never been happier.

Got a BSc (hons) in Environmental Science halfway though my 20 year career as a junkie. It did fuck all...

I own my own business doing small engine repair (mostly lawnmowers and landscaping/construction equip) before that I went to college and got an associates and bachelors. I made the deans list every semester got a 3.8 in my major and am in the national honor society for computing. After all that b/c of a felony drug charge I couldn't even get an internship.
After school I started my own business, things went well until I got into opiates, oxy then heroin. About a year ago I quit H, started doing meth and working art 14hrs a day now I'm so busy I have 3 employees and a month long backlog lol. Meth has done wonders so far, my natural scattered energy gets focused and i can complete tasks and not procrastinate.