• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

ever think about what it means that amphetamine is an appetite suppressant?

tantric

Bluelighter
dopamine:
250px-Dopamine2.svg.png

PEA:
200px-Phenethylamine2DCSD.svg.png

amphetamine:
amphetamine.gif

if you try to take dopamine directly, it can't cross the blood brain barrier. PEA is inactive. the next best thing is amphetamine - am i the only one who sees amp as orally available dopamine? the link between pleasure and appetite.....

sociobiology attempts to explain human traits in an evolutionary context. i believe the addictive mechanism evolved to encourage organisms to eat lots of certain types of foods. y'all know that there are only a limited few types of tastebuds, salty, sweet, umami, etc....so how does cheese taste 'good'? good taste is in your brain. in the evolutionary past, it wasn't enough to eat only what you need. organisms that ate more than they needed, fats and proteins, could survive famines better. food is the basal addiction.

my (chaotic evil) sister is in the hospital, having her intestines removed bit by bit. when they put her on intravenous feeding only, she went into withdrawal. fact: you can be perfectly healthy living off juice and only juice for weeks. sugar is what your body runs on. it will be a long time before you actually need protein, etc. can you do that? would you go into food withdrawal?

now, the power question - is it possible to cure basal food addiction? what would that *mean*? if i'm right, 99.9999% of humanity are full on junkies - doesn't that explain much of our civilization? you know of addictive transferal - it really doesn't matter how you get your dopamine. what would a civilization of non-addicts be like? is that even possible?

Yeah...i really agree on the point that we are all junkies of some sort here in the west. Food being the largest addiction.

So forgive me for my ignorance, what is PEA?

We are all just dopamine fiends right....? whats beyond dopamine, whats beyond survival? WHAT IS GOING ON! ;)

Makes some sense. (and some substituted amphetamines are even more similar to dopamine than Amphetamine itself)

But beware, that the structures above are only 2-dimensional projections of 3-dimensional molecules. To apply proper pattern recognition for approximation of similarity, you have to consider the 3-D structure. That is also why psychedelic phenetylamines (the 2c-x), which look similar to dopamine on first sight, are agonists of serotonine receptors instead.