Mental Health EMDR for treating trauma any good?

Opi_Kid_Rock

Bluelighter
Dear Members,

A mental health worker once told me to check out EMDR or Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy for trauma. Has anyone experienced this type of treatment for their trauma before? I have a hard time believing that it’s anything more than snake oil. If it’s effective, then why is it not more prevalent and the number one treatment for the innumerable trauma survivors?

It works best if you have one specific traumatic event or a few and not a lifetime of traumas is what I was told by an emdr practitioner but then a friend of mine don’t me no it can help no matter what the amount of trauma is but yes I have heard first person that it really does help. Along a slightly similar vein of action is eft emotional freedom techniques with EMDR they are making you relive the trauma over and over while they make you move your eyes back and forth which kind of tricks your brain into filing it away in a better way (this is my basic bitch understanding of it) eft is something you can do yourself at home which also taps into this refilling capacities
you at one point in eft look left and look right while you sing happy birthday in your head (this sounds batshit I’m tempted to delete it) but check it out
EFT *free
tons of information online has similar mechanisms of action to emdr
EMDR
works
both of them can help with trauma and ptsd

I know this is a hot mess of an answer 🙈🦋

It works best if you have one specific traumatic event or a few and not a lifetime of traumas is what I was told by an emdr practitioner but then a friend of mine don’t me no it can help no matter what the amount of trauma is but yes I have heard first person that it really does help. Along a slightly similar vein of action is eft emotional freedom techniques with EMDR they are making you relive the trauma over and over while they make you move your eyes back and forth which kind of tricks your brain into filing it away in a better way (this is my basic bitch understanding of it) eft is something you can do yourself at home which also taps into this refilling capacities
you at one point in eft look left and look right while you sing happy birthday in your head (this sounds batshit I’m tempted to delete it) but check it out
EFT *free
tons of information online has similar mechanisms of action to emdr
EMDR
works
both of them can help with trauma and ptsd

I know this is a hot mess of an answer 🙈🦋
Thank you for the reply.