• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives DXM Tolerance - Does it ever go away?

WeedDxm

Bluelighter
First off, a little background of my DXM usage:

I started using DXM shortly after my 17th birthday. For the next 8-12 months, I used DXM an average of 2-3 times per week. I stopped using DXM on a regular basis about 4 months ago. I didn't use DXM at all for 3 months, then I used it again to test my tolerance. This was 2 weeks ago. My tolerance seemed to still be very high, with 700mg + 1 bowl of cannabis not being very intense and dissociative, like it should. I thought after 3 months of absolutely no usage, my tolerance would be down at least a little bit. I was very disappointed!

Considering I used DXM moderately/heavily for 1 year, how long would it take for my tolerance to go down enough so that I can 'trip' again? Any advice from experienced DXM users will be appreciated.

I don't have a rich experience with DXM, but other dissociatives I used heavily such as MXE and MXPH produced a heavy tolerance which does not diminish considerably even after months of abstinence..

Tolerance with dissociatives is much more dependant of psychological factors, unlike other substances like opiates, where you develop physical tolerance.
Once you abuse certain dissociatives and your brain & body gets used to the pharmacological reactions, it never goes back again.
It's kind of like MDMA and its magic. Once it is gone, it does not come back. Well, at least not completely.
As far as I know, there's also one rule with DXM.
After 50 DXM trips, the magic is gone forever.

DXM Tolerance is known for always staggering and never quite reducing.
Some people have reported reducing the psychological tolerance to DXM with using tryptamine-like drugs (e.g. LSD) and then having used DXM again and experiencing the magic again. I think there's an explanation for this phenomenon: Using DXM shortly after a LSD trip will get you an LSD-similar, euphoric mindstate and mental effects again (like a Flashback) and thus you achieve some LSD components on your DXM trip.
Maybe that's what you could try.

If this does not work, then just take higher dosages.

LSD did in fact increase my methoxphenidine experience dramatically, so it seems that TheCuriousOne is right about it acutely reducing the dissociative tolerance.

I did a lot of DXM in the 90s, a few times in the 00s, and a couple times since 2010, the tolerance never completely goes away but after a few years it does decrease.
I've got disso cross tolerance and it seems like most of them take 2-3times what it would take a virgin to get me off, but as long as I leave a month between trips I still do have a fair bit of magic. Consider taking a year or four off, and then going back in slow.

It's kind of like MDMA and its magic. Once it is gone, it does not come back. Well, at least not completely.
Users have reported successfully bringing back the magic by preloading and later combining Piracetam with MDMA. It's doubtful this will work with DXM, since AMPAkines tend to weaken dissociatives in general, something I've experienced with both DXM and MXE. Still, it does mean it's possible to bring back the magic with some substances. I have strong reason to believe that, in dosing a fairly powerful AMPAkine such as Unifiram or Coluracetam over a period of a year or so, tolerance to dissociatives could reset itself completely if abstaining from said substances during this period. I'm no pharmacologist, but the fact that it weakens dissociatives in the way that it does, plus through reading several anecdotes of permanent effects with these substances (and experiencing them myself), it's his best shot at eliminating tolerance.

Now, I'm not so sure this is unusual, but I'll mention it anyways. I haven't abstained much from my usage of MXE while using various AMPAkines, and I had used DXM once every two weeks since last December before then. I've used MXE over 50 times in the past three months, only dosing frequently to ward off chronic pain from a bacterial infection recently. 90mg is only moderately weaker for me than in my first dose of MXE (yes, I started that high), roughly equivalent to what 50mg would do for me in the beginning. It's possible my usage of AMPAkines during this time slowed the progression of tolerance, but I'll need someone whose tolerance is already incredibly high to be able to remember how quickly their own tolerance progressed, as well as dosing frequency and weight during that time, in order to lend some rough credibility to AMPAkines' ability to lower dissociative tolerance. FWIW, I was using IDRA-21 during a good portion of this time, which is far stronger than any other AMPAkine currently in use, aside from substances most frequently used as poisons. If anyone wants to give long-term racetam/raceram/RC AMPAkine use a try, be my guest, and be sure to report back your results. It's about the only thing that comes to my mind for possibly reversing dissociative tolerance.

If this does not work, then just take higher dosages.
While this can work without significantly increasing risk for a period of time, this can be incredibly dangerous advice for someone whose tolerance is fairly high, and while I've seen worse than this, I'd certainly say the OP is getting there.

OP, my advice to you would be to take a long break from dissociatives, give one or two of the racetams a shot for awhile, use your serotonergic psychedelic of choice beforehand to strengthen the experience as detailed in the above posts, and if that's not enough by the time your next dose comes up, try potentiating with weed again. Progressively increasing your dose in response to tolerance, especially with some of the higher-risk dissociatives such as DXM, can be incredibly dangerous after a certain point. Rather than letting yourself get to that point, make an effort to reduce tolerance, then come back to it later and make the trip worthwhile. The higher your tolerance, the less useful and enjoyable the trip, and the more of a waste it becomes. It may not be the same experience, but there are plenty of other substances I'm sure can hold you over in the meantime. Hope this helps, mate. ;)

Last edited:
^ The ampkines do sound interesting....
Yeah I was never foolhardy enough to push my dose over a gram because of fears of physical damage. Less of a worry with MXE, much less with K but I can never find K that's trustworthy and isn't nosebleed expensive.

^ The ampkines do sound interesting....
Yeah I was never foolhardy enough to push my dose over a gram because of fears of physical damage. Less of a worry with MXE, much less with K but I can never find K that's trustworthy and isn't nosebleed expensive.

I can't find anyone who's ever heard of K in my area, let alone someone selling it, but PCP and DXM practically grow on trees around here, hehe. Shame, as K's one of the main drugs I'd like to try, and practically the only one in that list that's entirely unobtainable at the moment.

On 1.2 grams of DXM and 90mg Diphenhydramine recently, I was sucked into an alternate reality entirely convinced I was in the "true" reality. Immediately upon closing my eyes, I was in another world, yet I was walking through my own house. Turns out, a nice black couple decided to "occupy" one of my empty rooms. Most people would freak out in this type of situation, but I personally found it hilarious and was cool with them staying here for a bit. Strangely enough, I was perfectly coherent and sober in this dream. Upon opening my eyes, I shouted in complete ecstasy, "Oh my god!" That was my second craziest experience with psychedelics, and in going back to DXM, I came to realize just how powerful a drug it really is. If I'm honest, I far prefer it to MXE, despite being the riskier of the two. A bit off-topic, but nonetheless, these types of experiences are exactly why I spent so much time trying to find ways to reduce tolerance to dissociatives, and though it's not perfect, this is the closest, and only, solution I've found yet.

Edit: I recently discovered this Wikipedia entry here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ditolylguanidine

In it, it mentions this substance had potentiated NMDA antagonists. Looks like sigma agonism could be another suitable route for potentiation aside from marijuana. Obviously most dissociatives are sigma agonists, all of which would certainly *not* be a good idea to use in tandem with another dissociative. I was thinking more along the lines of PRE-084, which surprisingly is obtainable. The amount of common substances that exert their effects through sigma agonism is fairly shocking, after doing a bit of research. Methamphetamine, opiates, most dissociatives, DMT, DHEA, escitalopram...the list goes on.

Furthermore, I'd imagine using a sigma antagonist in combination with AMPAkines over a period of time would be even more effective in resetting tolerance than with AMPAkines alone. AC927 is about the only one that looks selective enough to be suitable for this task. All others display various other actions that would be counter-productive to daily functioning. BL group buy, anyone? =D

Another edit: just a speculative thought, but I wonder if, considering AMPAkines can stall and even possibly reverse dissociative tolerance, dissociatives can do the same for AMPAkines once a tolerance is achieved. I know of no one ever experiencing tolerance with a racetam/raceram or any other AMPAkine with the exception of Phenylpiracetam, which likely only causes tolerance to the stimulant effect anyways. If AMPAkines take this long to gain tolerance, or even don't gain tolerance at all, this makes them an even more desirable choice to long-time dissociative users looking to reverse their tolerance. Again, while it may take awhile to reverse tolerance to any worthwhile extent, it's currently the only known option out there for this purpose, only if used in combination with abstinence. If this is not done, the AMPAkines will do nothing more than stall tolerance, significantly weaken the effects of dissociatives if used in combination, and ultimately prove a massive waste of money. Abstinence is key, but abstinence alone won't do much to reverse tolerance. Abstinence + Strong AMPAkines, on the other hand, should reverse tolerance after being used for a long period of time, 6 months at the very least, ideally 8 months to a year. Methylene Blue has been said to reverse tolerance as well, but I can't attest to this, and certainly not when speaking of dissociatives. Along with that, I'm not sure if tolerance reversal is permanent or if it only lasts until Methylene Blue wears off, or in this case, if there is any effect on tolerance at all. It's a long shot, but it's incredibly cheap, so why not give it a shot as well? Under $20 for the solution and dropper bottle, a supply which will last multiple decades easily, so long as it's dosed at the proper 60mcg, which seems to work best for most, myself included.

Last edited:
Can anyone report back if taking AMPAkines worked?

Not sure, this thread is ancient lol i was like 17 years old when i made this. Anyways a little update, I stopped usually DXM on a regular basis about 2 years ago. I have done it again a couple times, usually 6 months in between each time. Each time I was disappointed, and it seemed that the tolerance didn't go down at all :(

thanks for updating us OP.

i've heard shitty things about dissociative tolerance. i for one have a bit of a K tolerance or just shitty K so i struggle to hole unless i'm on psychedelics. psyches potentiate the dissocios..

DXM was my first hallucinogen but due to how it made me feel (retarded, fried) i figured it was just horrible for your body (particularly through coughsyrup formulas due to all the inactive shit) so i never thought to do it often. i do it twice a year at most so i've never build much of a tolerance to it.

nowadays 300mg isn't as dissociating for me due to my K tolerance but the euphoria from DXM is worth it to me.

Never did DXM but I wanted to say thank you to the OP for coming back and updating. I think that Bluelight is a great harm reduction site and any info is appreciated. I really wish more people would. I especially get annoyed when people ask a specific question and then go on to do what they were going to do and never come back to update us on the results. To me that is very selfish.

So thanks OP. :)

Last edited:
I did DXM for a 6-month period around 2005/2006, it was bizarre and fantastical at first, but towards the end it tended to be dysphoric and too weird. (Though my very last 2 trips from then I switched to using the Zicam spray they had back then, and those were great, so I think the nausea was causing a lot of the problems)

I took an 11-year break from it, (though I spent the last 3 years or so trying various other dissocs, but I quit all those last summer) and then over the past month I had 4 more trips (2P twice, 3P by mistake (was shooting for Sigma), and then I finally reached Plateau Sigma, still working on the trip report for that one). The magic was back for the first 2P trip, then it REALLY came back when I was on Sigma!

I'm staying in a country now where they have little tiny cough pills with 30mg DXM each, so it's easy to take a bunch of them and not have all that syrup or gelcaps or whatever churning away in your guts. I think the nausea might be a big part of what causes the "50-trip" effect. But also I had a 8-year break from all dissociatives, that probably helped reset things too.

EDIT: There's a similar phenomenon going on in the VR community right now, a lot of people are finding they think VR is exciting and amazed by it at first, but gradually they lose interest. I have a hunch that many of them are experiencing low-grade VR sickness (which is like motion sickness), and so on a subconscious level they're learning to distrust being in VR for fear of getting too sick.

Last edited:
Thanks for updating OP. Disappointed that was the result though :(

No prob :) If you're having trouble with tolerance but still want to do it try smoking some weed along with the syrup. It's amazing how much it potentiates it. Diphenhydramine also makes the trip stronger, but I wouldn't do more then 200mg dph or else it will get weird haha

I think I'd be able to reach the 3rd plateau again if I did 700mg DXM with a bowl of cannabis, but I try to stay away from anything that's illegal anymore.

I know this thread is old as shit but I just have to share my experience with this whole situation. I started using DXM recreationally at about 16 and did it sporadically at first until I was about 19 and I began heavily abusing it. I definitely got way more than 50 solid trips out of it but there was a particular week during which I consumed such ungodly amounts of dxm polisterix and hbm together (I know I know) that I was basically in a fucking coma some nights for a long ass time. I don't even know how I survived, it was like 1600 to 2000 mg some days and with the half life of polisterix it was probably well over that, along with grapefruit juice. I legitimately couldn't sleep for days after that and I had an insane mental breakdown and cried for hours after it all wore off. I felt like I was in another world for so long after that, a very scary world of sadness and paranoia. Anyway to get to the point, my tolerance has NEVER gone down even a little bit. I have taken 1200 mg and felt literally nothing. In my anecdotal experience, dxm tolerance is unfortunately permanent or extremely difficult to reduce. I don't understand the mechanism behind this but it is of great interest to me and I wonder if maybe even the antitussive effects are gone for good. Either way I find it likely that I will never be able to get any effect from the substance ever again. Another oddity is that I have legitimately never felt any effect whatsoever from MDMA. I have done it with people who were rolling super hard and I'm just sitting there with a slightly elevated heart rate feeling like shit. Even LSD is hit or miss for me. The only thing that reliably fucks my world up is good old mushrooms.