View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

DXM and Hypertension

thewayjoshis

Bluelighter
So I have taken DXM about 6 times in my life;3 first plateau trips, and 3 second plateau trips. I plan on poking the third plateau with a stick next trip, but first I need to ask some questions about hypertension. My first second plateau trip happened when I was inexperienced. My dumb ass took 20 robitussin gel caps (equal to 300mg) not knowing that I would be more than obviously high in school (I am a sophomore in high school). I took all 20 gel caps in my bathroom right before I left for school. In my first period class, it started to kick in, and along with that I started to feel like shit as well. So I went to the bathroom and took a massive shit. Then before I could wipe, my heart started beating faster than I ever remember it beating in my life. Or maybe I just thought that because I was tripping. Anyways, I started becoming extremely paranoid which made my heart beat even faster. It eventually turned into an endless cycle which resulted in a panic attack. I thought to myself, "Wow, so this is what death really is. I'm going to die of a heart attack... But not if I tell someone!!" So my dumb ass quickly ran to the school office and told them what happened. I ended up puking and then going to the ER. My second somewhat scary experience with hypertension was about a week ago. I drank 5 ml of Delsym (888 mg of dxm polistirex (same trip as about 300mg of DXM HBR)). I came home mid first-plateau and told my mom what happened so she just stayed up with me for a little bit (it was 10 pm at night) and then all of the sudden, the extreme hypertension came back. But I just told myself, "This is normal, it happened last time" thinking it would lower my heart rate, but it didn't so then I became scared. I guess I just powered through it. One other thing I have noticed is I don't even remember my heart rate during the second plateau of all three second plateau trips I've had. The reason I'm posting this is because I want to know if this is normal. I plan on taking twice the dose eventually of the first trip I described (never taking Delsym again) and I don't want to have a heart attack or anything so if this is not normal, someone please tell me.

I can tell you that high doses of DXM tend to cause a rise in blood pressure for me - not too extreme - it has exceeded 170/105 while I felt really anxious but generally it is more like 150-165/90-100 and my pulse does not change much.

Do you take any prescription meds that may interact? Anything with stimulant effects would be bad news. Wellbutrin might even be dangerous with DXM. And if you take an SSRI or SNRI that might cause serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome could cause severe hypertension and tachycardia. There are other meds that could cause serotonin syndrome when mixed with DXM. If you take any prescriptions that may be bad to mix with DXM, post the names and someone could tell you if that could be the culprit. I know mixing with anything that raises serotonin levels can be dangerous and you can die from mixing with stimulants.

The next paragraph is just about what happened when I mixed DXM with ephedra long ago and the one after that explains how that overdose that could have killed me probably saved me from death or disability by getting me to see a doctor for the first time in many years to diagnose my severe hypertension - fucking weird how that turned out.

I did have a severe hypertensive crisis when I was like 22 or 23 years old because I took first just a couple of ephedra pills (ephedrine is a stimulant) and then it seemed as though I was just watching my body do things by itself later as I proceeded to consume probably at least another 20 ephedra pills. This was with pure DXM and it took a lot longer than usual to kick in so I redosed on that and initially took the ephedra to stay awake for the trip. I was not in control when eating the rest of those pills. My blood pressure was 300/200 according to my mom (I would not know as I was having an out of body experience most of the time until right before I went to the ICU but the doctors tried to scare me later by telling me it was even higher - but they were bullshitting me because blood pressure can't get that high and there are no devices to measure it if it did. There have been a few other cases of blood pressures of 300/200 reported by nurses online so that might have been real but the official world record is 300/190 - I want to get my old records if they exist and see if it was really that high, maybe I made a new world record. She probably rounded upward or something though. It would be kind of cool to get in the book of world records if it really did get that high.) and it caused some bleeding on my retinas - did not cause any vision loss though. I remember them asking if I wanted a priest to give me last rites after they got it down enough to move me to the ICU (I was having a really interesting trip before flying through the hall while they pushed me that way, it seemed like I was flying on a UFO or something). I was thinking "Why the fuck are you asking that, I am not sick or anything.". I had no fucking idea how bad I fucked up until later. They would not believe I took DXM and ephedra, they said it would not cause a positive for opiates or amphetamines and they insisted I od'd on ecstasy and heroin. The fucking doctor came in and started talking in a mean voice and telling me I was wasting space that other patients might need while my blood pressure was still going between the 230s and 240s over something and I think it was lower before he came in and started making me feel anxious and like a scumbag. He could have waited until I was more stable to tell me I was a waste of space. And they are doctors, they should know at least that ephedra causes positives for amphetamines - not sure if it would even be a false positive given the structure.

It turned out I had severe hypertension to begin with as it was still really high 3 days later when I was released and when I got in to see the doctor the next week with nothing to make it high it was over 190/120. I had not seen a doctor in 7 or 8 years. He told me I would be dead within two years without treatment for the hypertension and if I had not had that overdose I would have never went to see a doctor. It strangely may have saved my life. That also means my body was accustomed to very high blood pressure so I would be able to survive something like 300/200 far easier than probably 99.5% or more of people, it is rare for someone to have hypertension as bad as mine was undiagnosed.
I am high on meth, excuse the rant but it is weird to think if I had not had that overdose that could have killed me I would have probably either been diagnosed with hypertension after it caused a stroke or heart attack or I would have just straight up and died. Sometimes things work out in really bizarre ways.

I can tell you that high doses of DXM tend to cause a rise in blood pressure for me - not too extreme - it has exceeded 170/105 while I felt really anxious but generally it is more like 150-165/90-100 and my pulse does not change much.

Do you take any prescription meds that may interact? Anything with stimulant effects would be bad news. Wellbutrin might even be dangerous with DXM. And if you take an SSRI or SNRI that might cause serotonin syndrome. Serotonin syndrome could cause severe hypertension and tachycardia. There are other meds that could cause serotonin syndrome when mixed with DXM. If you take any prescriptions that may be bad to mix with DXM, post the names and someone could tell you if that could be the culprit. I know mixing with anything that raises serotonin levels can be dangerous and you can die from mixing with stimulants.

The next paragraph is just about what happened when I mixed DXM with ephedra long ago and the one after that explains how that overdose that could have killed me probably saved me from death or disability by getting me to see a doctor for the first time in many years to diagnose my severe hypertension - fucking weird how that turned out.

I did have a severe hypertensive crisis when I was like 22 or 23 years old because I took first just a couple of ephedra pills (ephedrine is a stimulant) and then it seemed as though I was just watching my body do things by itself later as I proceeded to consume probably at least another 20 ephedra pills. This was with pure DXM and it took a lot longer than usual to kick in so I redosed on that and initially took the ephedra to stay awake for the trip. I was not in control when eating the rest of those pills. My blood pressure was 300/200 according to my mom (I would not know as I was having an out of body experience most of the time until right before I went to the ICU but the doctors tried to scare me later by telling me it was even higher - but they were bullshitting me because blood pressure can't get that high and there are no devices to measure it if it did. There have been a few other cases of blood pressures of 300/200 reported by nurses online so that might have been real but the official world record is 300/190 - I want to get my old records if they exist and see if it was really that high, maybe I made a new world record. She probably rounded upward or something though. It would be kind of cool to get in the book of world records if it really did get that high.) and it caused some bleeding on my retinas - did not cause any vision loss though. I remember them asking if I wanted a priest to give me last rites after they got it down enough to move me to the ICU (I was having a really interesting trip before flying through the hall while they pushed me that way, it seemed like I was flying on a UFO or something). I was thinking "Why the fuck are you asking that, I am not sick or anything.". I had no fucking idea how bad I fucked up until later. They would not believe I took DXM and ephedra, they said it would not cause a positive for opiates or amphetamines and they insisted I od'd on ecstasy and heroin. The fucking doctor came in and started talking in a mean voice and telling me I was wasting space that other patients might need while my blood pressure was still going between the 230s and 240s over something and I think it was lower before he came in and started making me feel anxious and like a scumbag. He could have waited until I was more stable to tell me I was a waste of space. And they are doctors, they should know at least that ephedra causes positives for amphetamines - not sure if it would even be a false positive given the structure.

It turned out I had severe hypertension to begin with as it was still really high 3 days later when I was released and when I got in to see the doctor the next week with nothing to make it high it was over 190/120. I had not seen a doctor in 7 or 8 years. He told me I would be dead within two years without treatment for the hypertension and if I had not had that overdose I would have never went to see a doctor. It strangely may have saved my life. That also means my body was accustomed to very high blood pressure so I would be able to survive something like 300/200 far easier than probably 99.5% or more of people, it is rare for someone to have hypertension as bad as mine was undiagnosed.
I am high on meth, excuse the rant but it is weird to think if I had not had that overdose that could have killed me I would have probably either been diagnosed with hypertension after it caused a stroke or heart attack or I would have just straight up and died. Sometimes things work out in really bizarre ways.

Alright so during the first trip I described, I was taking nothing but 50mg trazodone and it was at night. It is neither an SSRI or an MAOI, I'm not sure what it is though. During the second trip I described, I was taking 50mg trazodone, 100mg lamictal, and 200mcg of clonidine at night, and 100mcg of clonidine in the morning. During the first trip I described, I took the DXM the morning after I took the trazodone at night so I'm not sure if it still had an effect on the DXM. During the second trip I described, My mom refused to let me take any of my night medication until it completely wore off. I don't think the 100mcg of clonidine affected the DXM trip because I took the DXM at about 7:00 Pm and I took the clonidine 13 hours earlier. I now take 5mg of abilify, 200mg of lamictal, and 100mg of trazodone at night and nothing in the morning anymore. Would any of these meds have an effect on DXM? And if so, what kind of effect?

I think might have a heart problem as well, I'm not sure though. I recently went to the ER for taking 500mcg of clonidine. It lowered my heart rate to as low as 30 BPM at times, so they wouldn't let me leave. They wouldn't stop telling me how I should never do this again. They told me I have a weak heart but does that imply that it's sensitive? I think they might be bullshitting too just so I never abuse drugs again. And if I really do have a weak heart, I wonder how weak it really is. If what they meant by "a weak heart" just means my heart beats slower than usual, than that would be even better for DXM use. But if it means sensitive, I fear that high doses of DXM will put me in the hospital and/or kill me. Do you think I should still continue up the ladder of DXM plateaus and doses? Is 30 BPM usual for 500mcg of clonidine? Should I stop taking my meds the day I decide to do DXM and if so, for how long? Thank you.

DXM and probably 3/4 of what ever else people discuss on this web site will increase your heart rate and blood pressure. It's not a bad idea to have an automatic gauge for heart rate/BP that you can use easily, both to calm yourself down (hopefully) or at least to tell you if you're in some kind of dangerous zone and need help. You're on several strong meds and you are taking a very messy recreational drug that in the upper levels (you said you want to take) activates four different receptor sites at the same time. To answer your question on these meds having an effect, yes, absolutely they will change the experience (for the worse), and that's the best part. The worst part is you might damage yourself in ways you didn't know possible, depending on the medication. Serotonin syndrome is a good example.

So are you saying that I should for sure not take my meds during my next trip? and if so, how long should I go off of them before and after the trip?

First off hypertension is elevated blood pressure not elevated heart rate....:that would be tachycardia

And secondly HTN and tachycardia do not always accompany each other

Just thought I would clear that up

Carry on

Oh alright, thanks for the heads up. In that case, I don't even know how to tell if I have hypertension. I guess this whole time what I meant by 'hypertension' was tachycardia.

Last edited:
Basically it's not a good idea to mix DXM with any psychiatric drugs. None of your meds are SSRIs or MAOi's, yet they strongly affect a lot of sites like serotonin, dopamine, adrenergic, and histamine receptors blocking them. Also, trazodone does inhibit SERT to some extent. DXM can cause a wide range of side effects, you don't even know how its effects might get into synergy with the effects of your meds, it might cause respiratory depression or elevate your heart rate again, it's impossible to predict what may happen. Judging by what you are prescribed, I'd advise you to stop using DXM completely both for you physical and mental health.

I can't skip taking my lamictal because I have a chance of getting a very dangerous rash. I have to be slowly weened off, over the course of a month even. If I ever get off lamictal, would it be safe to just skip out on taking my meds when I trip on DXM? Thank you

Note: By the time I do DXM again, I will probably be an adult so my meds will change most likely, but just in case, I still want to know. I don't like to dive into a pool with no arms or legs if you know what I mean.

Last edited:
Basically all your meds have potential interactions with DXM and I dare say lamictal is not the worse one. So if you decide to take DXM along with any of your other meds, you're diving into a deep water without a life ring. If you suffer from bipolar disorder, then taking DXM is bad enough on its own playing with levels of serotonin and noradrenaline. I really can't see any positives coming for you out of this drug. I'm sure anyone knowing a bit about pharmacology will tell you the same about the risk.