• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

DXM and enzyme deficiency

Tranced

Bluelight Crew
A couple of years back I tried DXM. I seem to remember it being Robitussin Dry Cough which I've just read is about 150mg of DXM. I did about half a bottle so that was approximetly 75mg DXM. However, looking back I seem to remember working it out at about 300mg DXM per bottle. Assuming I did half a bottle, that would still only make the doseage at most approximetly 150mg which is still a fairly light dose for the purpose of this topic. I also smoked some hash.

About an hour later I was getting full blown open eye visuals (intense, colourful geometric patterning), 3D closed eye visuals and hallucinated seeing a police car outisde my house in the snow. I felt like I was at a beach, music sounded amazing and a minute felt like hours. It was also one of the most euphoric feelings I've had in my life.

Threshold unknown
Light 100 - 200 mg
Common 200 - 400 mg
Strong 300 - 600 mg
Heavy 600 - 1500 mg
Risk of Death 2,500 - 20,000 mg

According to erowid that's a pretty light dose (Even if I had done 150mg) and I'd say that seems like a relatively high plateau for that doseage. A lof of people on here seem to think it's shit which quite honestly, well, amazes me, it was pretty fucking nice I thought.

Is it likely that I'm enzyme defficient? How would common doseages differ? At what sort of doseage for any none-enzyme defficient person would you expect those effects?

Last edited:
well, the hash may have had something to do with it...

but you could well be enzyme deficient. 100mg is the suggested dose for a deficiency test, and for those lacking the enzyme this dosage is supposed to be pretty noticeable, without lasting for days or causing other health problems.

from personal experience i would say those kinds of effects are in the "strong"-"heavy" category.

i would say maybe don't try it again. my guess is you ARE enzyme deficient.

but if you do anyway, dose low...i would recommend 100mg. don't take anything else with it either, and then you'll know for sure.

has anyone here done the dxm/hash combo?
i have no idea what that would be like, but i imagine the tachycardia would be pretty bad.

well...tachycardia is a well-documented effect of both cannabis and DXM.

from my experience a reasonable dose of DXM causes a fair bit of that, so add hash and i imagine it would only intensify.

have you tried it though?
it just occured to me that i haven't heard any reports of people combining cannabis/dxm. i think i'd get pretty bad anxiety too.

I've never had any problems mixing, neither have any of my friends really. I don;t get bad tachycardia either, even from just taking DXM

Cheers

There are loads of reports of people mixing cannabis and DXM, they have a synergy.

Personally I never noticed my heart rate on drugs anyway.

^^^
yes, i'd expected there would be...i mean, anyone who's even heard of DXM has probably smoked weed at least a couple of times...i'd just never actually heard anyone talk about the synergy.

i only mentioned it because i've had personal experiences of tachycardia with cannabis and DXM.

i guess everyone's different.

Here's a crazy idea: Tell your doctor that you had a strange reaction to DXM and ask to have your enzyme levels checked. P450 deficiency can be dangerous because P450 is responsible for the metabolism of many common drugs.

what enzyme do you have to be deficient in? i am allergic to paracetemol, does that mean i am also enzyme deficient? i would like to know as i used to notice how little MDMA i needed to have full effects.

I smoke weed with every drug, bar BZP & TFMPP =D

There are many subsets of the P450 enzymes (and keep in mind I barely know what I'm talking about in this area). DXM is metabolized by one called "2D6", often called CYP-2D6. This is the same enzyme mostly responsible for metabolizing MDMA. Acetaminophen, on the other hand, is metabolized by CYP-2E1. Also, I don't know much of anything about drug allergies, but I'd assume they're not all caused by enzyme deficiencies.

furthermore, there are two types of 2D6 "deficiency". one type is a lack of the enzyme, resulting in a "tolerance" to dextromethorphan, whereas the other is actually possessing multiple copies of the enzyme (well, more copies than usual). this is the type that causes super efficient metabolism of DXM, and can be extremely dangerous, hence "deficiency" must always be checked for with a low starting dose.

or a doctor, i guess ;)

If it's also responsible for breaking down MDMA would that explain why I've also always gotten really quite fucked off MDMA (taking similiar amounts to friends and ending up a lot more messy, can't say it ever bothered me, mind)?

USP grade powder DXM is recommended, but DXM cough syrups are not as good. Hydrocodone cough syrups, on the other hand, are excellent. Codeine cough syrups are in between.

In reply to the question about DXM/hash-combination; It's totally pointless, in my experience DXM overrides the effects of almost all drugs taken in combination with it. Perhaps only real benefit is that pot might relieve the nausea caused by DXM a bit, but as the nausea is not always present, I wouldn't in future waste two drugs to get only the DXM effect.

I remember one time me and my friend split a bottle, so we each had ~150mg of DXM. Whenever we turned the lights out I would hallucinate pretty colors and shapes..... but this doesn't happen on 250-300mg. It's common to get hallucinations in the dark for me... so maybe it's similar for you.