Drug-Talk Legality on Forums

Psilo707

Bluelight Crew
*Did a search but could not come up with anything suitable.*

On another message board I'm a member of, which is a west-coast based Rave forum, there is a huge debate going on regarding the legality/illegality of posts regarding drugs. The admin has told everyone that posts talking drugs *in any manner* are no longer allowed, because the police have contacted him threatening to send him to jail. I was immediately interested if that was the true case or not, because in my many years of posting on various forums (many with posts dealing with illicit substances/activities), I have never run into that problem. But the admin seems fairly serious and has stated he has talked to multiple lawyers who all tell him it's not legal to own a board with such content.

I'm still dubious of it. There's no buying/selling or anything like that - truthfully most of the drug related posts are dealing with harm prevention and humorous stories - but I figured I would come here to ask the more knowledgeable crowd what the deal is.

Thanks in advance,
~Psilo

It's clearly within his first amendment rights to own a board on which people talk about drugs. The only thing he has to watch out for is that he doesn't knowingly allow his site to become involved in planning illegal activity.

Are there State laws which may be a threat? Indirect conspiracy laws? Seems like some of the recent anti-Meth laws are pretty far reaching.

An anti-methamphetamine bill made it illegal to distribute literature which contains tips for drug use, manufacture, and distribution, but Internet sources remained legal. It's possible that the webmaster is just being bullied by the authorities, and that their threats are hollow. I don't know for sure, though.

IAmJacksUserName said:
An anti-methamphetamine bill made it illegal to distribute literature which contains tips for drug use, manufacture, and distribution, but Internet sources remained legal. It's possible that the webmaster is just being bullied by the authorities, and that their threats are hollow. I don't know for sure, though.

Uh, that bill is blatently unconstitutional. Who passed it, and where? Has it survived challenges in court?

there is a fine line between supporting the rights provided by a constitution and upholding current public policy.

With the meth problem that some US states have, public policy appears to be the trump card.

Just remember, everything i say on this forum is fabricated. I am a sad person who talks about things i have never done in order to win friends in the online world.

I have never bought, sold or tried any illegal substance.

;)

Given the location of the Bluelight server (netherlands), im sketchy as to whether US applies at all.

I think the .nu domain is for the Island of Niue (sp?) near New Zealand. Either way I'm surprised that site has those issues. Did the authorities specifically cite what law he was breaking??? I didn't think they could really do shit, even if it is in the US, although that may not be the case these days. :(

bleedingheartcommie said:
^^^ umm

we stopped using the constitution a long time ago

can you say patriot act?

Little know fact, but the patriot act contradicts common law based off judicial rulings. Restricting discussions about drug use contradicts the constitution itself.

Minor difference there 8)

Uh, that bill is blatently unconstitutional. Who passed it, and where? Has it survived challenges in court?

To my knowledge it's in law. Bear in mind, however, I'm relating this information to you based on a paragraph from a magazine article I read several months ago.

But anyway, the government seems to believe that the drug war is somehow exempt from the Constitution. You're no doubt aware of asset forfeiture laws, which allow law enforcement agencies to seize any property suspected of being used in a drug crime, without even taking it to court.