The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Drug Scheduling

opium

Bluelighter
was reading up on the scheduling of drugs... some of them surprised me. like how they say barbs and benzos have a very low potential for abuse, and marijuana is ranked as a schedule one drug? i think the guy who wrote these might be smokin some of that schedule 1..
Schedule I substances are those that have the following findings:

The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.
The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.
There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision.[22]
Marijuana including the cannabis plant and its cannabinoids. Controversy exists about the placement of marijuana in Schedule I. Like some other drugs in Schedule I, there have been no reported cases of cannabis overdose. Main article: Removal of cannabis from Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act.
Heroin (diacetylmorphine), which is used in some European countries as a potent pain reliever in terminal cancer patients, and as second option, after morphine (it is about twice as potent, by weight, as morphine). In Switzerland, it is prescribed to intravenous heroin addicts who have not responded to other forms of treatment.[27]

marijuana is legit right above heroin...wtf?

Placement on schedules; findings required Schedule IV substances are those that have the following findings:

The drug or other substance has a low potential for abuse relative to the drugs or other substances in schedule III
The drug or other substance has a currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States
Abuse of the drug or other substance may lead to limited physical dependence or psychological dependence relative to the drugs or other substances in schedule III[22]
Benzodiazepines, such as alprazolam (Xanax), chlordiazepoxide (Librium), clonazepam (Klonopin), diazepam (Valium)

temazepam (Restoril) (Note that some states require specially coded prescriptions for temazepam)
flunitrazepam (Rohypnol) (Note that flunitrazepam is not used medically in the United States);

Long-acting barbiturates such as phenobarbital;

maybe this chart is wrong...does not seem to make sense 8(

The chart isn't wrong. This has been discussed many many times.

The U.S. scheduling system makes pretty much no sense.

yeah it's way screwed up over here, many substances are placed far too high on the chart, even though the ones that pose a real threat are under scheduled in my opinion

I think the vast majority of Bluelighters can agree that the drug laws make little to no sense.

Schedule 1 AFAIK is a drug that has no medicinal purpose. Obviously weed doesn't fit in there nowadays entirely but, the feds still don't back mmj as that's a state thing. Could be wrong though as I always fuck up schedules because they make little sense.

Yes, that's the case. Even heroin and Cocaine technically have some form of medical use whereas weed and acid and shit do not. If you posess a schedule 1 drug, it is purely illegal just by existing no matter what you plan on doing with it (not taking into account all the new MMJ laws, and JB is right, the DEA still does not recognize weed as being medical so it's still schedule 1). Sometimes drugs that are far worse for you are a lower schedule because at least there is somewhat of a legal reason for the drugs to exist even if you're not using them in that manner. It's dumb as fuck, but that's how the laws are written