• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Drug-like effects with yoga practice, meditation, control over breath etc

Slim Fingers

Greenlighter
“You know what happens if you take a dose of ganja (marijuana)? Take a few puffs and see what happens to your mind. It slows down and the brain waves change from theta to beta, from alpha to delta. Suddenly you feel calm and quiet. What happened to your mind? You didn’t fight with it. I’m not advocating the use of ganja, I’m just giving you a very gross example of how Kriya Yoga works on your mind. By infusing ganja or some hallucinogenic drug, the chemical properties of the gross body change. The heart slows down, the breathing rate changes, the brain waves alter and the mind becomes calm and still. Is it not possible to arrive at the same point through Kriya Yoga? Yes, this is exactly what is accomplished through Kriya Yoga.”
Swami Satyananda Saraswati
There was also a story where a scientist gave all of his LSD supply to a tibethan monk, expecting him to be amazed by the effects, but he only said "is this all you have?" staying completely undisturbed. But could it be true? Have you or someone you know personally experienced drug-like effects with yoga practice, meditation, control over breath etc? I did, but only glimpses of them, although sometimes very powerful.

I've definitely experienced powerful sensations and altered states of consciousness from practicing meditation & breathing exercises, and some of these experiences have called to mind my experiences with hallucinogenic drugs, but I also feel that there are vast differences between the two. They seem to be treading in vaguely similar territory (human consciousness is human consciousness, after all), but to do so in a very different way, and for this reason I'm hesitant about most claims that one can be used to achieve the effects or benefits of the other.

the best one is ecstatic dance - the feeling of oneness, universal love...