drug dogs

firsty

Bluelighter
do they train drug-sniffing dogs in the U.S. to detect LSD, 2c-x, mushrooms, or MDMA? and can the dogs do it well?
I'm especially curious about mushrooms, because there are non-psychedelic mushrooms, and im not sure if they can smell the difference;
and MDMA, because i would think the pill binders would mask the smell.

any help is really appreciated

Not the dogs at my school. They are only able to find weed and a few incidents w/ coke.
The cops explained to us that the dogs are not trained to find any other drugs besides weed. Its hard for the dogs to find most chemicals cause they dont have a distiguishing sent.
(2c-x's, LSD, XTC.....ect..)

Hell, I can smell the MDMA in my pills if they are potent enough pills. Why couldn't a dog be trained to pick that smell up along with others? In my high school Law class, they brought a drug dog in for demonstration. The officer had 4 white cloth sacks that were used to train the dogs. They all smelled like a different drug. Pot, Opiates, Cocaine, and Speed. The dog was a Black Lab, and found all 4 without problem. I wouldn't fool yourself to think that a drug dog can't pick up an amphetamine based compound. Just my 2 cents, but do some more research. Try wikipedia.

Yes, they can tell the smells of all those drugs. The only one I'm not sure about is LSD, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could.

Generally dogs are trained only for weed and coke, but additional training for heroin, etc is done.

They can smell mushrooms. They can also differentiate between different pharmaceuticals, usually used to smell out large quantities of benzos being trafficked. Dogs at airports are usually privy to a large number of drugs.

MDMA and such drugs do have an identifiable scent, by the way. Everything does.

firsty said:
do they train drug-sniffing dogs in the U.S. to detect LSD, 2c-x, mushrooms, or MDMA? and can the dogs do it well?
I'm especially curious about mushrooms, because there are non-psychedelic mushrooms, and im not sure if they can smell the difference;
and MDMA, because i would think the pill binders would mask the smell.

any help is really appreciated

Well, if the mushrooms you have are non-psychedelic, then i would assume they have no control substance in them. If this is the case then even if you found yourself in a situation where you DID get caught with legal mushrooms, the charges would have to be a dropped. I got arrested for possession of hallucinogens (mushrooms) and they were legal, so i had them sent in to the lab to be tested.

Hope that helps

Drug dogs are trained to smell out marijuana, coke, heroine, and they are currently trying to train dogs to smell out MDMA (which im guessing has little success since theres a large range of smelly-things it can be cut with)

everything has odor, just we cant smell it it doesnt mean its odorless. sniffer dogs usually trained with just a few spesific drug odors (not with drugs). for example if you trained your dog with heroin odor, your dog can detect morphine too. so its not necessary to train the dog with lots of odors. and pill binders cant mask the odor, nothing can do that

ElCityRoller said:
Hell, I can smell the MDMA in my pills if they are potent enough pills. Why couldn't a dog be trained to pick that smell up along with others? In my high school Law class, they brought a drug dog in for demonstration. The officer had 4 white cloth sacks that were used to train the dogs. They all smelled like a different drug. Pot, Opiates, Cocaine, and Speed. The dog was a Black Lab, and found all 4 without problem. I wouldn't fool yourself to think that a drug dog can't pick up an amphetamine based compound. Just my 2 cents, but do some more research. Try wikipedia.

Just an FYI -- it's not the MDMA you're smelling, it's precursors.

Human noses cannot detect the actual scent of MDMA.

To go slightly off topic dose putting pills into jars full of coffee mask the smell ,because im going to a big music festival over here in ireland,and after a few od's at the same festival last year they are steping up security,so i was just wondering if there is any other ways of masking the smell from sniffer dogs apart from coffee jars(if that actuly dose work).

^ I don't think the coffee will work. The dog will just smell both coffee and pills.

You can ask questions about drug dogs and how they work. But you can't ask how you can mask a drug smell from a dog - that violates forum guidelines. Please see the forum sticky post at the top of the first page of this forum.

I will delete any response that describes any method which can defeat a drug dog. Please seek that information elsewhere than on Bluelight.

Johnny1 said:
^ I don't think the coffee will work. The dog will just smell both coffee and pills.

You can ask questions about drug dogs and how they work. But you can't ask how you can mask a drug smell from a dog - that violates forum guidelines. Please see the forum sticky post at the top of the first page of this forum.

I will delete any response that describes any method which can defeat a drug dog. Please seek that information elsewhere than on Bluelight.

Oh sorry newbie mistake wont happen again.

Slay said:
everything has odor, just we cant smell it it doesnt mean its odorless. sniffer dogs usually trained with just a few spesific drug odors (not with drugs). for example if you trained your dog with heroin odor, your dog can detect morphine too. so its not necessary to train the dog with lots of odors. and pill binders cant mask the odor, nothing can do that
Not everything has an odor, and not nothing can stop an odor. Its just a matter of the concentration of air-bourn particles (to which dogs are much more sensitive), but there are plenty of things that dont have a smell.

A good way I was explained on how dog's smelling works:

A human smells a pizza. A dog smells dough, cheese, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, and whatever else was put into it.

As said in the thread already, if you mask it with coffee, the dog will smell the drug, and it will smell coffee.

Dogs can be trained to smell anything. It is just a matter of what is practical and not.

And Ecstacy is REALLY scary because if the dog is trained to smell Amphetamines or Cocaine and your Ecstacy tab is cut with that, guess what, your busted.

ecstasy isn't cut with coke, thats a myth.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Maybe so, but let's not get into that here. -Johnny1

Last edited by a moderator:
Falcon0r said:
A good way I was explained on how dog's smelling works:

A human smells a pizza. A dog smells dough, cheese, tomato sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, and whatever else was put into it.

As said in the thread already, if you mask it with coffee, the dog will smell the drug, and it will smell coffee.

Dogs can be trained to smell anything. It is just a matter of what is practical and not.

And Ecstacy is REALLY scary because if the dog is trained to smell Amphetamines or Cocaine and your Ecstacy tab is cut with that, guess what, your busted.

Another metaphor I use is that, for dogs, their sense of smell is like our sense of sight. Imagine standing in a room, with the lights off, and only a tiny little bit of light coming in from under a door: you can see the walls, sorta, and it looks like there's some framed photos on them, or maybe paintings. Or maybe they are windows? Hard to tell, and there's no way to see color.

Metaphorically, this is the human sense of smell. It works, but it's really vague and can't tell stuff apart very well.

Now, imagine that room with good, full-spectrum lighting. The walls are actually filled with amazing photos and paintings by all the masters. There's color everywhere, the room is awash in images. And there's windows to the outside, with people walking by in colorful summer clothes. There's funky sculpture objects hanging from the ceiling, rotating in the slight breeze and throwing mirrored reflections around the room. The whole place is alive.

Metaphorically speaking, that is a dog's normal sense of smell.

So, hiding a smell by masking it with something else, for a dog, is like trying to "hide" the color red in a painting by holding up a semi-translucent piece of paper in front of the painting: the red is still visible, only a bit hazy through the paper. Or like hiding the sound of a baby crying by playing the flute.

I am aware of no proven methods to "beat" a drug dog by adding compounds to a substance. And while I am aware of two (hypothetical) approaches to this problem, I am not aware of any practical implementations of either that would be available in everyday life. One can take steps to minimize the risk of detection, equivalent to turning down the lights in the metaphorical room full of paintings from earlier in this post, but driving that risk to zero is a tall order.

Peace,

Fausty