• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Driven to hospital, Virginia man tased, shackled and dies in police custody

slimvictor

Bluelight Crew
When three Virginia police officers put Linwood Lambert in a squad car around 5 a.m. on May 4, 2013, they said they were taking him to the ER for medical attention because he was speaking delusionally. Just over an hour later, Lambert died in police custody.

He was never given medical care, though the officers of South Boston, Va. did drive him to the hospital. He was not initially put under arrest, though the officers ultimately arrested him, shackled his hands and legs, and tased him repeatedly. While in custody he was agitated and ran from the officers. Ambulance workers say police later claimed he fought them at a time when videos show he was actually unconscious. Police dispute that account and deny allegations of excessive force.

Over two years later, there have been no charges and no full public accounting of what happened. But a new investigation, including police videos obtained exclusively by MSNBC, shows the deadly trip for the first time.

Linwood “Ray” Lambert, a 46-year-old man who worked in construction, was staying at a Super 8 motel in South Boston, a town of about 8,000 people in Southern Virginia. In the middle of the night of May 4, 2013, police received calls about noise complaints at the hotel. When three officers came to Lambert’s door just before 5 a.m., they say he was acting paranoid, hallucinating and telling them there were bodies buried in the ceiling.

Since Lambert was unarmed and not suspected of any crime, the officers did not arrest him. They thought he needed medical care, so they told him to come on the short trip to Sentara Halifax Regional Hospital.

The officers cuffed Lambert’s hands for the ride, but assured him, “we’re not locking you up, we’re going to the ER”
The three officers, Cpl. Tiffany Bratton, Officer Clifton Mann and Officer Travis Clay, departed the hotel in three police cars. Video from one shows an officer calling the hospital, asking for the mental health care worker on duty.

On the ride, Lambert looks increasingly agitated. The video shows him asking about a light in the backseat, and then about a squad car trailing them. An officer tells him, “you good, trust me.”

A few minutes later, though, everything changed.

As the officers pulled up to the hospital, Lambert kicked out the squad car window.

Video from inside the car shows officers yelling at him to stop. When they cracked the passenger door, Lambert jumped out, sprinting roughly 20 feet towards the ER entrance and crashing into the building’s glass doors.

The officers ran after him and began tasing him. In response, Lambert’s body goes stiff and, with his hands cuffed, his arms could not break the fall when he hit the cement. The three officers surrounded him on the ground.

One ordered him to “stay down;” another, Officer Bratton, told him, “Every time you get up, I’m going to pop you.”

Lambert told them, “I didn’t do nothing,” and can be heard moaning in the recording. The officers tell Lambert to lie down, stay down, get on his belly, and roll over – while warning they will taser him again.

“I’m going to light you up again – roll over, roll over, turn over!” Bratton says.

Lambert remained on the ground, saying OK, but the officers tased him again. They restrained his legs with shackles.

Then, as Lambert appears subdued on the video, the officers warned Lambert they would taser him again. “I’m going to hit you again,” Bratton tells him.

Then Lambert says, “I just did cocaine.”

For the first time that night, officers tell Lambert he is under arrest, calling it in for disorderly conduct and destruction of property.

cont at
http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/driven-h...dies-police-custody?google_editors_picks=true

(watch the video there, too)

Fuck man. What is wrong with cops?

Well, most of them were the High School bully, or at least the class asshole; then add onto that the guard side from the Stanford Prison Experiment, and you've got a pretty accurate depiction of your average American LEO.

I think that aptly describes most beat cops, all the ones worth a damn either move up the ladder or quit that grind.

Fuck man. What is wrong with cops?

They're cops. This question is somewhat redundant, unfortunately :( I really think we need some sort of 'police' that's protecting us from psychopaths and such, but the current system is causing much more damage than it helps.

Heard much too many stories of bullying within the police, cops snorting coke after end of work, saw / smelled heavy drinking cops, fucking with prostitutes they should help out instead, whatever..

Over two years after the State Police investigation and Martin’s investigation, there have been no charges in the case.

All three officers have been promoted.

Nice.

linwood lambert's health and well being < cop car window. I am glad that our police have their priorities straight. Ugh....I am almost desensitized to this because every single day in the orlando sentinel there is another instance of police brutality. The problem is they are getting away with it.

There's some truth within the comparison of the terms 'police' and 'SS' / nazi. I'm just quoting, didn't say that.

Not all cops are bad.
Some are drawn to the job based on wanting to protect and serve.
Some do honorable jobs serving the citizens of their community.
But some - we hear about some in the news - are drawn to the job based on their desire to control or even hurt or punish the people.
Like it seems is the case for the 3 cops here.
Twisted people, who deserve severe punishments for their deeds.

Not all cops are bad.
Some are drawn to the job based on wanting to protect and serve.
Some do honorable jobs serving the citizens of their community.
But some - we hear about some in the news - are drawn to the job based on their desire to control or even hurt or punish the people.
Like it seems is the case for the 3 cops here.
Twisted people, who deserve severe punishments for their deeds.

This is true. There is actually a lot of press in the orlando sentinel of late about the OPD (orlando police department) concerning the fact that they injure and use force so much higher than anywhere else in the country. It is only a group of 29 officers out of ~700 I believe. Those ~700 officers are just as guilty for not stepping forward and speaking up about abuse of power. A quote that serves this sentiment well is: "Evil can only prevail when good men do nothing."