downloading music...

CuPillar

Bluelighter
is there any legal way of downloading music, other than having a copy of the origonal?

i know with some things you have 48hours to use then destroy the copy, but this is with rom games...

what is the deal with music...?

can you download, listen, then delete??

because i want to hear dangermouse's grey a;bum, which will never be released(apart from the 3000 copies)... but i dont want to keep them, i want to hear what it sounds like...

whats the deal?

is there any legal way i can listen to it??

everything is illegal.. it sucks...

thanks

I guess if you download it, then leave it on your computer...it wouldnt matter because authorities wouldnt bother with one single person downloading songs. However, if it is more of a moral question then I wouldnt have a clue....

anarky said:
I guess if you download it, then leave it on your computer...it wouldnt matter because authorities wouldnt bother with one single person downloading songs.

Haven't you been keeping up on the news? They do just this :(

Unless you're using an internal network like at a school, there's really no 'safe' way to download, as all downloading of music is technically illegal unless it is OK'ed by the artist/record company. Try checking the web page for the artist, many artists will put a couple songs up for download.
Of course, so many people download music that your chance of getting caught is very minimal, but it still does happen.

If you want to be very safe, you don't d/l music at all ... just sample songs on music retailer's websites (such as CDnow, Sam Goody, Best Buy, etc) or on the artists' websites.

I disagree with the laws of course, but I don't burn music, only keep it on a hard drive ... so I can see the artists' positions.

Good luck either way.

is it still illegal if i d/l it... then delete it straight after dling it??

because i was in possession of it??

iTunes is one way of downloading music leagally. It costs you per song, but its legal.

You are still able to d/l music... 'illegally' but inconspicuously (sp.?). There are still programs out there that provide such d/l services.. except now they are equipped with IP blockers which help aid you in your search for free music.

Enjoy.

Fuck price-fixing, just dl and keep'em! Buy it if you really really like it! ;)

Somewhat related ... I've noticed quite a few music stores have in fact gone out of business the last year or two. CD Burners are now standard on most all new computers (although I still don't have one), I know of 4 music stores in my area that have all gone out of business in the last year!
No wonder the RIAA is cracking down so hard; if the stores don't make money, they don't make money.

downloading is stealing.. plain and simple.. no matter what your justification of choice is.... support your fav artists...

hiroshi said:
downloading is stealing.. plain and simple.. no matter what your justification of choice is.... support your fav artists...

I do support my fav' artists, I'll buy their albums if I like them. If it wasn't for file sharing I'd not have bought as many albums as I do! :\

i disagree that downloading is stealing. If you go on the internet and find a website that happens to have a picture of the mona lisa on it and then print it out and tape it on the wall in your room, have you stolen that picture? I would say no. I think that the artists and industry executives should make money from concerts and the like rather than cds. they woud all still be filthy rich and could even use CDs as a type of advertising. but thats just IMHO.

Artists make next to NOTHING when you buy a CD. If you want to support your favorite artists just buy a ticket to a show or send them $5 in the mail. Fuck the middlemen, all they do is make money off of other people's hard work.

whats with the humanitarian responces... i dont download any music... i buy everything...
does anyone have any LEGAL knowledge in this area, not just crap, it is a legal forum, not a discussion on rights...

the basis of this is to say i want to know if i can d/l the music, then delete it straight away...

i just know that a lot of people went down for this...

this music is not available in cd stores/ ever in the world...

i just want to hear it

from now on... legal responces only...

thankyou
copper

CuPillar said:
whats with the humanitarian responces... i dont download any music... i buy everything...
does anyone have any LEGAL knowledge in this area, not just crap, it is a legal forum, not a discussion on rights...

the basis of this is to say i want to know if i can d/l the music, then delete it straight away...

i just know that a lot of people went down for this...

this music is not available in cd stores/ ever in the world...

i just want to hear it

from now on... legal responces only...

thankyou
copper

The unauthorised downloading of music is an infringement against the copyright of the artist and the music company. It does not matter how long you kept the file on your computer. If you commit a crime for only a few minutes does that mean you have not committed the crime??

Should you be unlucky enough to be investigated, and statistically it is unlikely (at any one time over 4.5m are logged onto Kazaa worldwide) your computer would be examined by computer forensic scientists that would be able to locate all your so called deleted files and prove you had been stealing music. You would then be issued with a fine or worse depending on the severity of your offence.

I am from the UK. However, copyright laws exist all over the world and are treated in much the same way in every country.

financeman is right. A friend of mine got a call from his ISP in Sydney, Australia about downloading illegal material via bittorrent. Basically he got told if he continued he would be fined etc etc etc and the fine didn't sound too cheap. Although a scare tactic it is true that you can get in trouble.