• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does Oxycontin cause pain?

Winzip52

Bluelighter
I have begun taking Oxycontin 40 mg tablets. I have noticed a correlation between that and being in extreme pain. Every part of my body - my back, my legs, my neck, everywhere - feels so stiff and so sore. It's not like anything I've ever felt before. Is that an effect of Oxycontin?

Are you feeling this pain like while under the effects of the OC? Or is it when you haven't had anything?

I know for me when I didn't have anything my whole body would just be soo sore and stiff. I feel like that's because you get so use to not being in pain and not feeling, well, anything at all. So when I wouldn't have it everything would just come at me as intense as it could. I feel like that's what would drive me back to using over and over again. Your pain receptors just get extremely sensitive. Your mind and body gets accustomed to the OC taking every pain away and being the only thing that can relax your muscles. Just nothing works the same.. Just my opinion.

No Junkiegirl, it's a real phenomena and I believe it's called "hyperalgesia". It's definitely real and I especially used to have it when I was on high doses of OxyContin many years ago. Along with what you described above, I think it also has to do with damage to one's, I don't know, pain receptors. It can surely be responsible for increased tolerances and the desire to take more meds when you feel bad. OxyContin is one drug that I believe where the best course of action is "the least effective dose possible". In other words, if you get 50% reduction in pain from your current dose, taking another pill a day, for instance, will not increase your reduction in pain but the percentage increase in your meds. It may only be a trickle better, and so on and so on. You may have to increase your current dose by 500% to even get to 75% reduction and at that point the adverse effects would obviously outweigh any gain in pain reduction. I hope that makes sense OP.

It usually takes a relatively long time for one to experice hyperalgesia that is opioid induced though. Damage to the nociceptors or nerves with or without opioids could be the reason but I would figure one would notice this before being medicated.

Thank you very much for the information. I will need to research hyperalgesia .

Also Google 'paradoxical effects' - because that's what you're experiencing.

Basically, this is when someone has the exact opposite effect from a drug's intended effect; ie, from a benzo, extreme agitation. From a painkiller, extreme pain. From a stimulate, sedation.

Unfortunately, this phenomenon effects a very small subset of the population and you seem to be one of them.

Its not that small percentage I believe it's like 10% but with me the paradoxical effects don't cause more pain but instead of the drugs giving me sedative affects I get speeding like I've used a stim. But more pain(dysphoria) is one symptom of paradoxical effects.