• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Does insufflating opioids like dilaudid result in more memory impairment?

Synaps3

Bluelighter
I just had this thought recently cause I noticed when I snort dilaudid that my short term memory goes wack. If I ingest it, it's pretty weak, but don't feel impaired. I'm not sure if it has to do with strength alone or not.
I'm wondering if it's because it's basically absorbing right into the brain instead of more dispersed through the stomach?
Is it harmful to the brain to snort?
Maybe plugging is a better choice? I really don't wanna do that, but yeah, if it helps my brain then I would.

Her @Synaps3 :)

If you're asking if insufflating pills is directly harmful to your brain in a sort of direct way, no. Powder will be absorbed by the mucous membranes or mucosa of the sinuses. Mucous solutes the powder and it's then picked up by blood vessels which eventually send the drugs to your brain.

Insufflating stuff in general is not a harmful practice. Like literally anything in this world, doing something too much makes it harmful. Cocaine is a distinct exception. Cocaine causes death to tissue it comes into contact with by constricting blood flow. This is the effect that made Cocaine a miracle of modern medicine, with the stimulating effects being a side show. Anyway, Cocaine can and does often destroy the sinuses of chronic users. However, other stuff like pills, the sinuses can pretty much handle. Different drugs have different qualities and some are going to be more harmful to tissue than others, but Cocaine is kind of in a league of its own when discussing common drugs of abuse.

Opioids are non-toxic to the body. You don't have to worry about them harming you in this way. The most harmful feature of Opioids is typically they're highly addictive nature. This leads addicts to forsake their health, hygiene and shelter for the drug. These things combined with poor injection technique, hygiene are the most common causes of poor health in an Opioid-dependent individual (excluding potential diseases).

Morphine is named after Morpheus, the god/spirit of dreams in Greco-Roman mythology. It's common for users to describe the experience as a waking dream. Amnesia is not a direct symptom of Opioid use. However, they are powerful sedatives, so to lose track of time or forget things is to be expected. If you don't want this to happen, you might have to lower your dose. Different routes of administration will not really change things. Dosage is the biggest variable.

It’s very likely to do with the bioavailability of hydromorphone.

-GC

Hydromorphone has extremely poor oral bioavailability. Even for a morphinan backbone opioid.

Strong drugs can alter memories, because one of the factors encoding a memory is the level of dopamine produced by the event (it kind of encodes how rewarding a thing was). Drugs that cause tons of dopamine release (and opiates do this by suppressing inhibition of dopamine release) will produce much stronger memories than non-drug events and kind of turn down the volume of a lot of normal experiences.