• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Does I.V. using increase risk of sepsis?

Snoopy199533

Greenlighter
Obviously it does to some level because when someone injects they create a puncture wound that leads directly to a vein. But what if someone is a chronic iv user and they get a staph infection, more specifically Mrsa.
Would iv using while the infection is still present in the body be a foolish or risky choice?
If someone had a wound that less directly to a vein and the wound got infected with Mrsa, would that lead to Sepsis? (a life threatening condition caused by harmful bacteria contaminating the bloodstream )

Obviously it does to some level because when someone injects they create a puncture wound that leads directly to a vein. But what if someone is a chronic iv user and they get a staph infection, more specifically Mrsa.
Would iv using while the infection is still present in the body be a foolish or risky choice?
If someone had a wound that less directly to a vein and the wound got infected with Mrsa, would that lead to Sepsis? (a life threatening condition caused by harmful bacteria contaminating the bloodstream )

I don't think I've ever had MRSA but I have definitely had multiple abscesses in 3 different sites at one time and continued to shoot up. I had one doctor tell me I was at risk for sepsis during this time but thankfully that didn't happen. I just rotated my spots and went to the ER to get the sites drained. One was on my hand and it swelled up to twice its size and was unusable. I think if the infection has been cordoned off by your body the risk is lowered but my suggestion would be get on antibiotics ASAP.