• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Heroin Does heroin "expire"?

wirkdy

Bluelighter
does heroin "go bad" or loses its properties if kept (sealed and in a dry place:LOL:) unused for long time? if so how long? serious question.

morphine is an incredibly stable molecule, I've read shit about stuff that was like 100+ years old and still potent

I think I've read stuff about ancient opium hundreds of years old that was still active (?)

I don't know the degradation process of diacetyl morphine though

Well I tried original morphine of Merck...from the times of Wehrmacht with svastika printed on the vials....solution go start to dissipate and turn brownish,vut i am mad and shoot it.It still works,,,,,besides the clear liquid start to get yellowish Not wise think to do to use expired med....but that's me and that is here

Last edited:
does heroin "go bad" or loses its properties if kept (sealed and in a dry place:LOL:) unused for long time? if so how long? serious question.
depends on ph of compound that is kept.

stable salts should last longer than your known family tree if kept right I would say but if its ph is out there are places on the molecule that could react with excess acid creating polymerisation amongst other reactions.

also this is pure di acetyl not some cut copy as cutters them selves go off to.

Dr. Smith continued: "We found the alkaloids in degraded plant oil, so the question as to how opium would have been used in this juglet still remains. Could it have been one ingredient amongst others in an oil-based mixture, or could the juglet have been reused for oil after the opium or something else entirely?"

These particular jugs were known to be "widely traded" in the eastern Mediterranean circa 1650-1350 B.C., making it all the more likely that were used for transporting opium. LiveScience reports that the earliest use of opium-poppy by humans dates as early as 6000-5001 B.C.

and thats not refined and most likely from that time still a freebase.

It is a dry powder. Part of the process of production with drugs like this is essentially the absolute dehydration of the substance prior to putting it on the market. This doesn't mean that it won't degrade in potency, but people still find usable drugs from the beginning of the 20th century, with no issues aside from like a 20% drop in potency. If you're dealing with street drugs, there could of course be some more residual moisture in there as a result of incomplete or improper production techniques that would lead it to expire a little more quickly.

The general rule of thumb though is that drugs go bad in the span of decades, not weeks or months.