• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Does grapefruit juice work as a potentiator if drunk several hours AFTER dosing?

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I'm specifically curious about methadone here, but the question could apply to any other long half-life opioid as well. I figured that as long as there's methadone in your system, then the active ingredients in GFJ can still compete with its CYP enzyme metabolizers. I am far from sure about this however, and would really appreciate the advice and/or experience of someone who has done this before or is sure they know the answer! All of the advice I've been given so far emphasizes how crucial body acidity is for extending the methadone half-life. I take many Tums per day, and several extra-strength Zantac as well. I don't know if this is enough, if there are any better ways, and if the grapefruit juice can still wind up LOWERING efficacy due to its own acidity.

I have desperately been trying to figure this stuff out for months now, since I am a very fast metabolizer and need a high dose, and even start to go through withdrawal sometimes as early as 16-20 hours after dosing, although it's nearly always quite mild at that point. Still, it can turn quite ugly and vicious not long after that. Thanks a lot, guys. I'd really REALLY appreciate ANY answers. I drank white grapefruit juice (unsweetened from concentrate) - about a pint and a half of it. But I had to drink it about 3-4 hours AFTER my methadone dose of 220 mg, since I couldn't get to the store as it's very snowy out.

The acidity that the grapefruit juice adds to your stomach can actually destroy some of the drug, and if you waited 3-4 hours I'm going to assume you felt something from the methadone which means it was too late to potentiate it much, if at all. Which is why it's best to take an hour or two before dosing, but I see you couldn't get to the store so that wasn't possible. It's also okay to have it a few minutes after dosing, but honestly I think you waited too long.

It's a good thing that you take the Tums because calcium carbonate reduces the acidity levels in your stomach, resulting in less of the opiate being degraded.

Too late take sedating antihistamine n GF juice hour before using tho I have not noticed any potenciation from GF juice but most swear by it ..

You can actually pre load w/grapefruit juice, days before and what they said.

You can actually pre load w/grapefruit juice, days before and what they said.

Wow, seriously? Literally DAYS, or was that a bit of an exaggeration? :p If so, my dose on Tuesday should be pretty good since I drank almost a liter today (2 pints). I heard somewhere that juice from concentrate isn't as good for some reason...still, it's a Liter of unsweetened, white GFJ. I'm nearly positive that it made a huge difference in terms of half-life extension when I used it several weeks ago.

I still don't fully understand why drinking it after the drug wouldn't still increase the time the drug is in the body. Methadone has a long half-life, right? So why wouldn't the GFJ at some later time, still enter the intestine and occupy the methadone metabolizing CYPS? Would there not still be a significant amount of the drug in the body at this time - delayed from being cleared by the GFJ?

Really, I read that within reason, drinking days leading to the main day can have an effect. I drink wgfj all the time. I actually like the taste. If that's bullshit, I apologize. I am sure that it has a lasting effect. I know it's awhile, but we're talking a few days maybe a little more. I have always been told before. The liver has to be busy prior to the drug so when the drug finally is there something is ALREADY blocking/busying/tying up those enzymes that would normally break down the drug. It only works with certain drugs and it's highly subjective. In other words, it may not work for you.

Last edited:
Really, I read that within reason, drinking days leading to the main day can have an effect. I drink wgfj all the time. I actually like the taste. If that's bullshit, I apologize. I am sure that it has a lasting effect. I know it's awhile, but we're talking a few days maybe a little more. I have always been told before. The liver has to be busy prior to the drug so when the drug finally is there something is ALREADY blocking/busying/tying up those enzymes that would normally break down the drug. It only works with certain drugs and it's highly subjective. In other words, it may not work for you.

No need to apologize. man; I appreciate ANY replies or suggestions so thanks a lot! By the way, it DEFINITELY works for me. I actually made a lengthy topic about exactly that, and the methods I used to attain subjective perfection. Too bad nobody else seemed interested :( lol. The interesting thing with that experiment was that I DID end up taking the WGFJ well AFTER my methadone, and it still worked plenty well - essentially doubling the half life, including the initial euphoric feelings that are still attainable for MMT patients when they are on high doses, wait as much time as they can before dosing, and make sure to take it on a completely empty stomach (methadone that is, not GFJ).

According to the PDR grapefruit should potentate because of CYPxxx enzymes with benzo's too, but from trying it with methadone and benzo's I didn't notice anything beside the fact I hate the taste.

Sometimes it will just increase sedation and other side effects but not necessarily make the drug "feel" more powerful. The only time I noticed this was whit Zoloft and some side effects of tramadol before I had and opiate tolerance. (Same CYPxxx enzyme) and with Soma and Omniprazole.

Grapefruit juice never worked for me but then again none of the other potentiators have either. Alcohol works well but there is a fine line between it's effectiveness and dying(usually in your sleep when from alcohol and opiate induced apnea).
If you get take homes why don't you take half(methadone) in the morning and half at night it might hold you longer.