• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Does etizolam REALLY have tricyclic antidepressant effects?

《Plasticity》

Bluelight Crew
Okay so when researching etizolam and possible dangerous interactions I occasionally run into posts stating that "etizolam is said to have tricyclic antidepressant effects." But how true is this?

On the etizolam wiki it states " In EEG tests of healthy volunteers, etizolam showed some characteristics of tricyclic antidepressants."

Also in this study http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2572494/ it states " Etizolam also possessed a more marked antidepressant effect than did alprazolam or bromazepam."

If this is true and if etizolam DOES in fact have tricyclic antidepressant effects I beleive this should be exposed as people tend to believe it acts just as every other benzo and this could prove dangerous when drug combinations are consumed with this not taken into consideration. Does anyone have experience in mixing etiz with ssri's, snri's, or mao-i's? Perhaps even drugs like tramadol? Did u experience any notable complications? This is important to me as I'm a fairly regular etizolam user and not much is known about potentially dangerous interactions.

I don't think this is proof of tricyclic effects, all benzos (thieno) reduce rem sleep in a similar way. There's no proof on pubmed or anywhere that etizolam effects serotonin or noradrenaline. As for the antidepressant effect, that is unknown (certainly nothing like tricyclics which are messy drugs affecting histamine, muscarinic etc receptors).

*Also, I've been addicted to etizolam for a couple of years, been prescribed sertraline (lustral, zoloft) and citalopram (celexa) and had no problems (except that ssris are bullshit). I'm now on mirtazapine, no problem taking etizolam.

Last edited:
Of course, I'm in no way shape or form presenting this as "proof" at all and imo I dont even believe it's true but this is something worth exploring. These are mere snippets and should not be taken as proof, especially wiki posts, just something to take into consideration when combining substances.

I agree that it's interesting that etizolam shows an antidepressant effect unlike other benzos, I don't think there is evidence of any interactions though (via serotonin etc) :) Unless you're taking something like phenelzine (nardil) it's not a concern imo.

Well that's good to know but I'd also like some personal experiences of people mixing etiz with things that would normally interact with tricyclic antdepressants. And another thing I find interesting is the supposed "reverse tolerance" and increase in efficacy over time because that is NOT my experience. Tolerance goes up with regular use for me and im sure others would agree

Etizolam is just another benzo, the fact that it displays psychological effects similar to tricyclics means very little in terms of its action.

Etizolam is all I have right now and i'm kicking opiates really hard after over a year of using a lot. Some of the side effects like increased proactalin, skin lessions, and possible eye blasphens scare me from taking it to much. But right now i'll take whatever I can get. My question to anyone who has used this long term what side effects have become more apparent. Did you grow man boobs? Also how do you sleep on it? I get a restful sleep from a couple Mg's of Clonazepam and have vivid dreams. But I have not experienced this with etizolam. It does relax me though.

Doesn't Alprazolam have an anti-depressant effect as well? It's not related to anti-depressants though.

I agree that it's interesting that etizolam shows an antidepressant effect unlike other benzos, I don't think there is evidence of any interactions though (via serotonin etc) :) Unless you're taking something like phenelzine (nardil) it's not a concern imo.

The official Health Canada benzo chart says Alprazolam has possible antidepressant effects.

clonazepam has proven effects on depression, vs other benzos.

not too sure about this etizolam thing though.

Yeah, clonazepam can worsen depression, that's the main benzo which can do that.

Alprazolam has known anti-depressive qualities to it which is why Adinazolam, which somebody does sell, but only in major bulk, so I'll never get to try it, but the wikipedia entry says the inventor of alprazolam invented adinazolam to have an even better antidepressant benzo.

To me xanax was only ever useful when coming down stimulants, it's not that great for round the clock GAD symptoms, I don't have panic attacks, so it got old very fast and I traded the 1mg bid script I had for 30mg at bed time of temazepam.

To OP, I always said that etizolam was very "meh" to me, and I can get lab grade 99.8% pure etizolam hcl. Some people forget that Zyprexa is in the same pharmacological family as etizolam.

Although, I'd never say no to some Brotizolam, but I'll likely never have any, it's expressly banned in Canada, which is very rare for benzos or "benzos" that are not rx'able here.

I think it's just a rumor based on subjective ramblings via the internetz, not any mechanism of action. You shouldn't have to worry about interaction other than the well known benzodiazepine ones.

Yeah, clonazepam can worsen depression, that's the main benzo which can do that.

Alprazolam has known anti-depressive qualities to it which is why Adinazolam, which somebody does sell, but only in major bulk, so I'll never get to try it, but the wikipedia entry says the inventor of alprazolam invented adinazolam to have an even better antidepressant benzo.

To me xanax was only ever useful when coming down stimulants, it's not that great for round the clock GAD symptoms, I don't have panic attacks, so it got old very fast and I traded the 1mg bid script I had for 30mg at bed time of temazepam.

To OP, I always said that etizolam was very "meh" to me, and I can get lab grade 99.8% pure etizolam hcl. Some people forget that Zyprexa is in the same pharmacological family as etizolam.

Although, I'd never say no to some Brotizolam, but I'll likely never have any, it's expressly banned in Canada, which is very rare for benzos or "benzos" that are not rx'able here.

I'd say it helps with depression but I guess it's subjective.

I also noticed adinazolam popped up.. keen interest. Some say it wouldn't be any different than any other benzo but there are benzos with anti-cancerous, nero-protecting properties and such...so who knows.

Last edited:
I don't think this is proof of tricyclic effects, all benzos (thieno) reduce rem sleep in a similar way. There's no proof on pubmed or anywhere that etizolam effects serotonin or noradrenaline. As for the antidepressant effect, that is unknown (certainly nothing like tricyclics which are messy drugs affecting histamine, muscarinic etc receptors).

*Also, I've been addicted to etizolam for a couple of years, been prescribed sertraline (lustral, zoloft) and citalopram (celexa) and had no problems (except that ssris are bullshit). I'm now on mirtazapine, no problem taking etizolam.

I know this is very old topic and maybe this has been said here before in some other thread, but because this thread came up as a first suggestion when I searched with duckduckgo "Etizolam noradrenaline" I want to share some information. So not only according to my own personal experiences, Etizolam does affect noradrenaline. So on my quest to find out the truth I stumbled first on to this:

"A study into the effect of etizolam on the turnover and uptake of biogenic amines in rat and mouse brain revealed that etizolam has similar neurochemical effects as diazepam on serotonin and dopamine turnover and uptake, but differed from diazepam on noradrenaline turnover and uptake.24 In contrast to diazepam, etizolam was able to decrease the turnover and to inhibit the uptake of noradrenaline in the mouse brain. These additional effects of etizolam on the noradrenergic system have been used to explain the anti-depressive activity that etizolam has in addition to its anxiolytic activity. "

And the study referred in that text:

The conclusion of the study is: "The results obtained suggest that Y-7131 (Etizolam) has biochemical profiles similar to diazepam but differs from it in exhibiting inhibitory effect on the NE turnover and its uptake." Although you should read the whole thing if you are interested, its very short.

So according to this study Etizolam DOES ACTUALLY AFFECT ON NORADRENALINE! I just wanted to shed some light if someone else happens to find this old thread like I did...