• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Does DXM cause liver damage and how severe is it?

Blackenthesun37

Ex-Bluelighter
I have done it loads of times, and am concerned about my liver. I bought a supplement that is supposed to help the liver.

I can't say I have any information regarding effects on the liver. However, having done DXM in various forms 10-20 times, taking a break for years, then trying it again recently at a low dose - with a big diet shift in there - I can tell you that shit is absolutely terrible for your digestion system due to all the HFCS, dyes, and other shit chemicals they put in "medicinal" cough syrup. I had diarrhea for a day and a half, explosive the first time, and felt my digestive system off for days after. That shit is disgusting. Medicine my ass.

I took a heroic dose of DXM one time and my urine was dark brown. Haven't touched that shit since.

I took a heroic dose of DXM one time and my urine was dark brown. Haven't touched that shit since.

Yeah, it will dehydrate you. Gotta drink alot of water on it, which can be easy to forget to do.

As far as liver damage, it's quite possible it could, although I don't think it's likely unless using heavily and often.

I can't say I have any information regarding effects on the liver. However, having done DXM in various forms 10-20 times, taking a break for years, then trying it again recently at a low dose - with a big diet shift in there - I can tell you that shit is absolutely terrible for your digestion system due to all the HFCS, dyes, and other shit chemicals they put in "medicinal" cough syrup. I had diarrhea for a day and a half, explosive the first time, and felt my digestive system off for days after. That shit is disgusting. Medicine my ass.

Did you make sure the DXM didn't contain guaifenesin?
Food-grade dyes aren't a problem in the amounts that are actually used within meds and foodstuffs. The main problem with HFCS is that it is extremely high in calories - the combination of glucose and fructose alone was the main issue, then people would probably be reporting the same issues with table sugar, since sucrose is essentially a "pro-drug" for glucose and fructose. I mean... it might be hard on your gut flora if you're chugging several bottles of DXM syrup, but so would chugging bottles of organic Canadian maple syrup.

Also, it is called "medicine" because it works at the suggested therapeutic dose. Not because there are no negative consequences to taking a massive overdose (a second plateau trip is like what, 20 Robitussin coughgels?). That's like saying: "I ate 5 pounds of dry-aged Kobe beef and 3 liters of fine French wine and it made me sick to my stomach! Food my ass."

I can attest that cough syrup which conatains only DXM as its active ingredient can/will wreak havoc on your lower GI tract. In my experiences with pure DXM powder I never had the same issue. I don't know for sure if it's the HFCS that's responsible but that would make sense to me as I don't think there's a lot else in there.

That said, the DXM syrup squirts only ever lasted the duration of the drug for me, I never had issue on the following days.

I've actually been wondering about the tendency to puke on DXM and whether it's related to the chemical's opioidergic effects as I'm essentially completely opioid-naive. Would be interesting to hear from a dependent opioid user who has tried high dose DXM and whether they can keep it down.

No guaifenesin, no. And while I agree with where you're coming from, Hodor, calling that stuff medicine even though the DXM is effective is, in my opinion, ridiculous. I still had GI issues even when I took three cough gels a few days later. The amount of shit in those things, and the syrup, is disgusting. It's not medicine if you're taking one effective chemical and loads more that actually harm your body.

There's a big difference between Kobe beef, French wine, and non-organic dyes and chemicals.

Last edited:
I had a heavy dxm habit for a decade, pushing 12mg/kg daily for weeks on end, and my liver is healthy. Now i developed a stutter and a smaller vocabulary and worsened my depression. But the effects on the body are nil.

Can't say if the chemical itself has any liver damage (no studies) but sure as hell the syrupy shit can't be good if you're taking it that way. Sugary gunky shit :\

Seriously. After shifting to a pretty healthy diet, I'm actually not sure if I'd ever be willing to take enough syrup/gels to trip on DXM, again. The thought is disgusting to me.