• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! Does anyone know a list of psychedelic mushrooms that grow in north carolina?

Dampflownder

Greenlighter
I have been foraging recently and wanted to get a hold of some psychedelic mushrooms if anyone can tell me the species that are out in north carolina

Psychedelic Magic Mushrooms in North Carolina​

Various species of psychoactive mushrooms do grow wild in North Carolina, yes[vii]. It is against both state and Federal law to possess or use these mushrooms, and penalties can be severe[viii] but it can’t hurt to know what they are.

Panaeolus​

Banded Mottlegill (Panaeolus cinctulus)
Panaeolus Cyanescens

Panaeolus mushrooms[ix] are called commonly Mottlegills, because of the spots that develop on the gills as the spores develop. Not all are psychoactive, and some authorities place those that are in a separate genus, Copelandia. North Carolina has two of these actives, The Banded Mottlegill (P. cinctulus)[x], which is of low potency, better for micro-dosing, perhaps, and The Blue Meanie (P. cyanescens)[xi], one of the most potent psilocybin-containing mushrooms known.

Please note that “Blue Meanie” is also the name of a cultivated strain of Psilocybe cubensis. Do not confuse the two.

Gymopolus​

Gymnopilus Aeruginosus
Gymnopilus luteofolius

Gymnopilus is a large genus with just a few “active” members, none of which are well-known. They are said to produce a qualitatively different high than Psilocybesor Panaeolus mushrooms, suggesting they may contain something in addition to psilocybin. North Carolina has three active species: G. aeruginosus, G. luteofolius[xii], and something in the confusing G. junonius group, possibly G. luteus[xiii].

Psilocybe​

Psilocybe caerulipes
Psilocybe Ovoideocystidiata

Psilocybe is the best-known of the “magic” genera, possibly because Psilocybe cubensis—which does grow wild in North Carolina—is so commonly cultivated. North Carolina has at least two other Psilocybes as well, both of which have the common name, blue-foot: P. caerulipes[xiv] and P. ovoideocystidiata[xv].

Last edited:
I don't know enough about the USA or NC but I would imagine the various species that grow in other states grow in yours.

Mushrooms are in my experience all about micro environments. You could have an area that has no mushrooms but then just a few hundred yards away there is a gully, moist and full of trees, maybe a stream at the bottom. If you find these kind of mushroom spots you'll find a lot of non magic and eventually, find magic. This is my experience anyway.

Hunting in the right season is important too!